Result: Max Distance From Ally to Gain EXP

General Discussion
Everyone, Bootes and I tested how far you can be from your ally and still gain experience from your ally's kills. The result is less than 2/3 the distance from you to the edge of your mini map. Here's a graphical representation of our test result:

http://imgur.com/bQfvz

I previously thought as long as you can see your ally on the map, you will get experience points. That is completely wrong. :)

EDIT: I forgot to add that it is strictly based on where your ally is. It doesn't matter where the enemy is. So, even if the enemy is outside of the yellow boundary, as long as your ally is within it, you will get experience points.
I was wondering this! Thanks.

Also, when you personally have magic find and your ally does not... whatever drops for YOU is based on your MF, or whoever pops the chest / frags the monster?
Very well done good sir.

Kudos to both.
I was wondering this! Thanks.

Also, when you personally have magic find and your ally does not... whatever drops for YOU is based on your MF, or whoever pops the chest / frags the monster?

Whatever drops for you is solely based on your MF. I ran with a guy who had nearly 100% MF, and I had absolutely 0% MF. I didn't get anything extra.
I think you guys should become the "Mythbusters" of Diablo 3, testing the various "myths" and useful unknown facts in the game.

Think about it =D
LOL that would be funny, actually :P
Now that is good info, thanks!
Good work.

+Like
How much experience is "shared"?

Is it 100%, or a smaller amount?
Only matters until level cap. Which in the overall scheme of things isn't much. +exp gear will fill the gap just fine.

The OP's point is moot. Unless you care about that 1 or 2 points of xp you missed cause you ran away from your follower.
I think you guys should become the "Mythbusters" of Diablo 3, testing the various "myths" and useful unknown facts in the game.

Think about it =D

Yeah but your avatar makes you look more like Jamie so you'd have to be one.
02/07/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Tosalen
Yeah but your avatar makes you look more like Jamie so you'd have to be one.

Gimme beta then!1!! lulz

The similarities are indeed funny.
Everyone, Bootes and I tested how far you can be from your ally and still gain experience from your ally's kills. The result is less than 2/3 the distance from you to the edge of your mini map. Here's a graphical representation of our test result:

http://imgur.com/bQfvz

I previously thought as long as you can see your ally on the map, you will get experience points. That is completely wrong. :)

EDIT: I forgot to add that it is strictly based on where your ally is. It doesn't matter where the enemy is. So, even if the enemy is outside of the yellow boundary, as long as your ally is within it, you will get experience points.

AWESOME THREAD!!! I even requested sticky! :)

Thanks for the information. You are a great person and I thank you!

Edit: I would be interested in helping with the mythbusting... If I ever get beta access or once the full game comes out :)
Today, Bootes and I will test out just precisely how much EXP you will be able to get from your ally. There are some confusion over whether the EXP you get will go down as the level gap between the two of you goes up, or whether the ally's stats could impact EXP received from a kill. We will keep everyone posted!
Interesting.

You still get the XP and gold bonus from doing quests like Jar of souls if your not around though. I was in the Weeping Willows and got credit for a SK kill and a Jar of souls
Did you get drops from each other's kills regardless of distance?
Only matters until level cap. Which in the overall scheme of things isn't much. +exp gear will fill the gap just fine.

The OP's point is moot. Unless you care about that 1 or 2 points of xp you missed cause you ran away from your follower.

Um, mkay, you're being a Debbie Downer. Mkay? Nobody likes a Debbie Downer.