Single player vs multiplayer

General Discussion
Is there a direct benefit of playing multiplayer rather than single player?

How does multiplayer experience work? Do you get experience only for monsters you get the killing blow on? Any monsters you hit at least once? Or all monsters killed, even if you didn't hit them?

Is there an experience bonus for playing multiplayer? What about a gold bonus or increase rare item drop rates? (I know that each player gets their own set of loot drops)
No benefit from one or the other.

You do not need to hit the monster to get loot. In fact, you can be several screens away or in town and still get loot from monsters that are killed.
I understand about the loot, but do you still gain experience?
I don't know this for sure, but it seems like you won't get any experience from kills until you are within a 2 screen range from the killed enemy. You don't have to actually hit the enemy. Just have to be near it.

On the other hand, you will get the experience from completing quests no matter where you are. So, you can technically sit around in town for an entire beta play through, go eat dinner, and come back to your character having 10,000+ more experience points.
Yeah, I didn't think you'd get exp from being half a world away, I just needed to know whether I was losing a lot of experience I would be getting if I was just going single player.