Monk combo system???

General Discussion
So I understand the fact that monks can "combo" and mix spirit generator spells and what not but....who does it really work? I mean in the "Game Guide" it says combos can "generate additional spiritual energy, deal increased damage and produce unique effects...". So we usually get 6 spirit for every attack from a spirit generator.

So how much spirit does combos give? And what are the "unique effects"? Are there any detailed explanation of this anywhere that I'm missing out? :T
Think of it like D2's assassin, only you can mix/match your combos with different spirit generators. Wait a few seconds and the combo will reset. Not nearly as long as the assassin's orbs took though.

The amount of spirit given is displayed on the ability used.

Unique effects aren't clearly displayed for each combo, but it gives a general understanding of the ability. You'll just have to check them out for which stages of each ability you like best.

The biggest difference on how fast you can build spirit is your attack speed. I.E. dual wielding or two-hander wielding.
then blizzard should edit that game guide.....seriously. It clearly says you get more spirit and more if you do combos....
All spirit generating attacks are 3 stage attacks. The first 2 stages are (in beta at least) purely for spirit generation. The final stage is spirit generation + an effect (such as AE Slow, AE Knock Back or Dot with an explosion if mob dies to dot). The stages can be mix and matched how you like, however there is no real benefit to this. Three of the four skill slots you get in Beta are better used for mantras and spirit spenders. That being said, the monk is fun to play with 3 generators and one spender hehe.
02/12/2012 08:59 AMPosted by DrakeFS
All spirit generating attacks are 3 stage attacks. The first 2 stages are (in beta at least) purely for spirit generation. The final stage is spirit generation + an effect (such as AE Slow, AE Knock Back or Dot with an explosion if mob dies to dot). The stages can be mix and matched how you like, however there is no real benefit to this. Three of the four skill slots you get in Beta are better used for mantras and spirit spenders. That being said, the monk is fun to play with 3 generators and one spender hehe.

I feel like I got betrayed :'(
I thought comboing different spirit spenders gave some benefits
for monks users who are not sure:

*fist of thunder has faster afs (attack frame speed) than other generators available in the beta, and it even says it grenerates spirit faster than others.

providing this, using 2x fist of thunder (2strikes i mean) and last final blow can be any of your choice. (since majority of monk's generators have special effect on 3rd hit). The choice of combining generator is 100% user's choice. (I used crippling wave + exploding palm in the beta, slow attack frame but aoe was nice.)

this creates slightly faster attack frame for monks which results in highder dps..

also, you can unlock a passive skill that increases your damage by 8% for 3 seconds for each different generators you use. (i believe 29 or 30lvl). (with high attack speed, you can easily boost your damage by 16~24% if not higher).

hope it helps.
I feel like I got betrayed :'(
I thought comboing different spirit spenders gave some benefits

Some of the runes for the spirit generators provide additional effects on the first or second hit as well, so depending on runes there might be some very interesting combos available.
So you can use the two initial hits of one move to proc the third hit of another move?
Basically, if you are doing the 123 combos it can look like this -

1) Exploding Palm
2) Exploding Palm
3) Crippling Wave (will proc its 3rd hit here even if you did not cast it twice before)

another example

1)Exploding Palm
2)Crippling Wave
3) Way of Hundred Fists (will proc its 3rd hit here even if you did not cast it twice before)

edit: in the second scenario you would actually have to have all 3 of these spirit generator skills on your bar to do that.
If it is a spirit generator on the 3rd hit it does a slightly stronger version of it.

Dumbed down it's punch, punch, PUNCH!

so think of it as pick an ability and do it last for more power ect.

/sips coffee