Please: Hardcore Without Normal Playthrough2

General Discussion
Prev 1 59 60 61
02/18/2012 08:34 AMPosted by Koraxx
Do not punish people like me because people that rage quit exist

A. I'm not convinced that people quitting is the whole reason they're not changing the way it works.

B. It was never a punishment, the game was designed around unlocking additional content, if you don't want to play you don't have to.

Please enlighten me on what other reasons they have for not changing it. I have yet to see a reason that isn't easily countered.

Hardcore mode is not content that needs to be locked. Similarly, multiplayer in Starcraft is not content that needs to be locked. Multiplayer in Diablo is not content that needs to be locked. Locking the content does not accomplish more good than bad. There are ways to allow some to by-pass the safe-guards while preventing "bad stuff" from happening.

Do not make me look towards unseemly methods to get around unfortunately locked content. Blizzard wants to avoid people rushing through their story, having a bad first impression, going to 3rd party sites, or having other people play on one person's account. Locked Hardcore mode encourages these activities.
Blizzard can warm the player when they choose the HC mode. In case some people really do not know what HC mode is. Problem solved.
02/18/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Smurphy

A. I'm not convinced that people quitting is the whole reason they're not changing the way it works.

B. It was never a punishment, the game was designed around unlocking additional content, if you don't want to play you don't have to.

Please enlighten me on what other reasons they have for not changing it. I have yet to see a reason that isn't easily countered.

Hardcore mode is not content that needs to be locked. Similarly, multiplayer in Starcraft is not content that needs to be locked. Multiplayer in Diablo is not content that needs to be locked. Locking the content does not accomplish more good than bad. There are ways to allow some to by-pass the safe-guards while preventing "bad stuff" from happening.

Do not make me look towards unseemly methods to get around unfortunately locked content. Blizzard wants to avoid people rushing through their story, having a bad first impression, going to 3rd party sites, or having other people play on one person's account. Locked Hardcore mode encourages these activities.

They create a game. They have a vision on how the game is played and design the game around that vision. They added an HC mode and want it as a reward for finishing the game they made.

It is a reward for finishing the game (just as it was in Diablo 2).

It is a reward.

It is a reward.

You are not countering any arguments... you choose to ignore the obvious and now ignoring the developers when they TOLD you why they are not allowing HC from the start.

For crying out loud.. you disagree with the game developers and are throwing a fit because you aren't getting what you want. Here's an idea... if you're so upset, don't buy the game and stop posting on the forums... that will show them.
I hate it when people whine about some things that Blizzard does not include..
Guys, can't we just get all along and figure a compromise together?

It would spawn some much needed rainbows.
Guys, can't we just get all along and figure a compromise together?

It would spawn some much needed rainbows.

It's hard for rational adults to get along with spoiled children...

Like I explained in my last post you responded to, Blizzard wishing that the players experience in good conditions the story, the flow, the boss fights, etc. is a perfectly valid reason in the sense Blizzard acknowledge that the players picking HC who should not play HC would experience the game in less-than-optimal conditions. Consider that some players could make the mistake to pick HC when they should play SC. Blizzard only want to avoid frustrations.

Let the player choose how they want to play the game within the already defined rulesets and make sure the UI appropriately explains the decision they're making. As I said earlier in this thread:

Triple warn with big bold letters and an animated gif of diablo cutting off heads and a marque 90s style of "U SURE??".

Or as others have suggested, force the hardcore player to login to their bnet account and agree to a disclaimer before unlocking HC, or some other method that ensures they know what they're getting themselves into but doesn't spoil the game for them.

Now, you will tell me the restriction displeases players like you and I that want to play HC from the get-go. Yes, it does, but how do you enable HC from the start while making sure the players that should play SC all pick SC? It's this mistake I care for the playerbase to avoid. If you make the HC parameter available and seen the first time all players access the character creation screen, it's inevitable, some players that should not check it will check it.

See above, but if I could make another suggestion, people will be people, and people will screw up. There's no need to force the hardcore community to jump through hoops before they're allowed to play the game they want just to protect people from being people. Just give people the right warning message to try to help them from hurting themselves.

To be fair, I think (part of) our disagreement comes from our different interpretations of what Blizzard said. You seem concerned, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Blizzard want everyone to experience their first playthrough in normal with a softcore character. What I'm getting instead is they want everyone to enjoy their first playthrough, which they believe is more easily achieved if the softcore playthrough is forced.

Again, I don't feel it's up to the developer to force an "enjoyable" play through when "enjoyable" is completely subjective.
I wish to give my opinion on the subject : I would prefer it to be available from the start. Regardless, I will play and try as best as I can not to die at all. Maybe a good compromise would be this : If after completing the game on Normal, you still have 0 deaths, then allow such characters to be transfered into HC... Comments ? What do you think ? Thanks.
Posted by Muguguypan
It's hard for rational adults to get along with spoiled children...

''Spoiled children''? Saying that does not contribute to the discussion. Bury the axe, man.

02/18/2012 09:36 AMPosted by Rad
Again, I don't feel it's up to the developer to force an "enjoyable" play through when "enjoyable" is completely subjective.

Uh... they could remove HC all together and then they wouldn't be "force" you into anything... IT IS A REWARD for finishing the game. Perhaps the solution would be to add HC as a patch 3-6 months after release so then people like you can get the game YOU enjoy most.
I suggest this compromise : If after you complete on Normal you still have 0 deaths, then allow this character to be transfered into HC (and display a warning !)
why not just have a friend rush u through normal? u can close ur eyes and plug ur ears during the cinematics. just a thought...

They create a game. They have a vision on how the game is played and design the game around that vision. They added an HC mode and want it as a reward for finishing the game they made.

It is a reward for finishing the game (just as it was in Diablo 2).

It is a reward.

It is a reward.

You are not countering any arguments... you choose to ignore the obvious and now ignoring the developers when they TOLD you why they are not allowing HC from the start.

For crying out loud.. you disagree with the game developers and are throwing a fit because you aren't getting what you want. Here's an idea... if you're so upset, don't buy the game and stop posting on the forums... that will show them.

You can spam "It is a reward" all you want but it's just missing the point. What if softcore mode was a reward for beating hardcore mode? Or what if multiplayer sc2/d2 was a reward for beating single player? These are legit design decisions the developers could have made and we're allowed to disagree with them and explain why we disagree (them being a legit decision isn't in question, but rather, we're questioning whether it's a GOOD decision, which is subjective and up for debate). Most of us are not "throwing a fit" (certainly not the poster you quoted, where do you get the idea he's throwing a fit? Or are you just saying that to try to make your point look better?), we're coming on here and explaining logically why we feel this is a bad decision.
Just have the mentality kind of like "I am gonna work for what i want". Softcore might be lame for most of you but while you're playing it just think about the goal you are trying to accomplish which is HC.
You can spam "It is a reward" all you want but it's just missing the point. What if softcore mode was a reward for beating hardcore mode?

Read that again and I am sure you are going to facepalm too.