Last year Jay Wilson said ...

General Discussion
Last year Jay said that Diablo III was all about crazy builds and that they would be fully supporting all of those bizarre builds we saw back in Diablo II. Like a melee Demon Hunter or a close up Wizard. Why have we now lost their basic attack functions?

And furthermore, with important runes being in the 40s or 50s it seems like some of these "crazy builds" won't even be unlocked until Hell - at which point they'll probably no longer be any good.
I just read an opinion.
02/26/2012 07:02 PMPosted by Akumapro
I just read an opinion.

No.
It doesn't matter what they said last year or last week, for better or worse, they thought the need for a change.

And yes, the rest is just speculation.
I forget that the beta version of the game is the absolute concrete base for the release version.

MAH BAD
Last year Jay said that Diablo III was all about crazy builds and that they would be fully supporting all of those bizarre builds we say back in Diablo II. Like a melee Demon Hunter or a close up Wizard. Why have we now lost their basic attack functions?

And furthermore, with important runes being in the 40s or 50s it seems like some of these "crazy builds" won't even be unlocked until Hell - at which point they'll probably no longer be any good.

Your contradicting your own point though. They were talking about crazy viable builds and you proceed to talk about "At which point theyll probably no longer be any good". All runes regardless of the level you unlock them at are made to be viable into the end game.
Close Range Wizards are still quite doable using Spectral Blades (or Electrocute if you prefer to be a little further back) even if the best runes on paper aren't availible till later on, and they should be viable all the way into Inferno difficulty. Just because they cannot 'basic' attack does not mean you cant have your melee Wizard.

Melee Demon Hunters... yeah, I don't see those happening now. It does kind of suck as that would have been a cool niche for the Demon Hunter to fill. As it stands there are still a number of close range gimmick builds, like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#Zgehij!bUV!cYcccb but as far as actually smacking anything, nothing.
Last year Jay said that Diablo III was all about crazy builds and that they would be fully supporting all of those bizarre builds we say back in Diablo II. Like a melee Demon Hunter or a close up Wizard. Why have we now lost their basic attack functions?

. . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..` u mad?
02/26/2012 07:09 PMPosted by ACPRO
All runes regardless of the level you unlock them at are made to be viable into the end game.

My only question then becomes, why do they unlock in some certain order for apparently no good reason? Why does one unlock before another? Why did that one unlock and some other one did not?

While some may have more benefits later on (resource management in particular), i'd still like the option to choose. If i never run out of mana, and want a mana boost, even though it may not be the best choice, why can't I make that choice?
Because we (the player base) are idiots. Like in the real world, idiots need people to hold their hands. You can't call them idiots at all, because that is wrong. So instead, these things are brushed under the rug with excuses.

Ya, honestly, I'd say stat points and skill points go along with that line of reasoning too. I am however somewhat willing to try it.

RMAH however. . . Is a gamebreaker in my honest opinion.
...or a close up Wizard...

*wink

Never heard of a "close up wizard" before, but I'm experimental.
All runes regardless of the level you unlock them at are made to be viable into the end game.

My only question then becomes, why do they unlock in some certain order for apparently no good reason? Why does one unlock before another? Why did that one unlock and some other one did not?

While some may have more benefits later on (resource management in particular), i'd still like the option to choose. If i never run out of mana, and want a mana boost, even though it may not be the best choice, why can't I make that choice?

Because they expect and encourage people to max level hence their motto turning casual gamers into hardcore gamers. It provides incentive to have some skills unlock at later levels so that you want to level to get that new cool skill. I don't know the exact reason why one rune would be prefferred to unlock at level 20 instead of level 30 and a level 30 not unlock at level 20 but obviously they had to make a choice regardless. It doesn't matter once you're level 60 because most of us will be spending more time at level 60 than leveling up so it just doesn't matter in my eyes but its the incentive to level. But I can definitely see your concern with maybe a certain rune skill allows a wizard to be a melee wizard but that ruen skill isnt available until level 50 and you want to level from 10-60 as a melee wizard.
To all you still unsure of the new system, this post might help:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4079840062