Considering a GPU upgrade. Worth it?

General Discussion
(system specs below)

I am thinking about upgrading my GPU with the EVGA GeForce GTX 570, since I really want to play on full detail with anti-aliasing, tripple buffering, etc all maxed out.

Im in the beta and with my current spec (ati catalyst settings all maxed out), I notice some stuttering and fps drops to 10-20 fps when I'm fighting large packs of mobs. When there's no mobs I get 60 FPS (VSync on) indoors and 40 FPS in New Tristram.

Do you think this is a significant upgrade and worth the investment considering the rest of my system, and no overkill due to my older CPU or RAM-size?
My main concern is to get rid of the FPS-drops, will this upgrade solve that, or is the rest of my setup too slow to handle that?

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows 2.5.1.2600 (Service Pack 3)

CPU TYPE:
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

CPU SPEED:
3.19 GHz

SYSTEM MEMORY:
3 GB

VIDEO CARD MODEL:
ATI Radeon HD 4870

VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
1013 MB

VIDEO CARD DRIVER:
ati2dvag.dll

DESKTOP RESOLUTION:
1920x1080

HARD DISK SIZE:
1024 GB

HARD DISK FREE SPACE:
334 GB

DOWNLOAD SPEED:
2.21 MB/s (18.5 mbps)
get an ati- hd6970

its no noticable difference (slower) than the 570..but price difference is huge.
i would wait. the new line from nivida is out this month. an from reports it is a huge speed increase
bah, if he runs with vsync on all the time... the 6970 is cheaper and will maintain 60fps fairly easy even with max settings.
A gtx 570 should be more than enough for this game. The stuttering you're talking about is present even on the most high end systems. It has nothing to do with your specs, but the game itself. So no, don't upgrade anything yet! That card can easily max out all the games that are out atm. Especially at 1080p.

If you really wanna upgrade, upgrade your CPU/RAM instead.

Also, check this thread out http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3280530366
A gtx 570 should be more than enough for this game. The stuttering you're talking about is present even on the most high end systems. It has nothing to do with your specs, but the game itself. So no, don't upgrade anything yet! That card can easily max out all the games that are out atm. Especially at 1080p.

thanks!

Im not sure if you got it right, but as I read your reply it seems like you think I already have a GTX 570, which is NOT the case, I'm running on a HD4870 atm :D

Does that change your advice? And if you want me to upgrade my CPU/RAM, what would you recommend?

thanks!

Im not sure if you got it right, but as I read your reply it seems like you think I already have a GTX 570, which is NOT the case, I'm running on a HD4870 atm :D

Does that change your advice? And if you want me to upgrade my CPU/RAM, what would you recommend?

Oh right, sorry.

Well, If you're only planning to play Diablo 3, even a HD 4870 should be enough for it. From what I hear it can run it on high with no problems.

I was also wondering what Power supply you got?/ Also if you provided the budget it would be easier to recommend components to ya.

I would definitely wait, the 4870 still more than ennough for D3.
If you intend to upgrade, you should wait for the GTX 600 series out next month or consider the HD 7000 series in which several cards have already been released.

03/02/2012 02:43 AMPosted by D3BETA

From the looks of your entire specs, you could consider a full upgrade. Upgrade to Win 7, new CPU etc. But that depends on the budget and whether you are comfortable with such an upgrade.

thanks!

Oh right, sorry.

Well, If you're only planning to play Diablo 3, even a HD 4870 should be enough for it. From what I hear it can run it on high with no problems.

I was also wondering what Power supply you got?/ Also if you provided the budget it would be easier to recommend components to ya.

I'm not at home atm, so I'm not completely sure, but i think I have this power supply (could also be the 520 version) http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjU5NA==

As for my budget I was thinking around $300.
From the looks of your entire specs, you could consider a full upgrade. Upgrade to Win 7, new CPU etc. But that depends on the budget and whether you are comfortable with such an upgrade.

I would be very comfortable with such an upgrade, but I'm afraid my wallet and especially my wife would not :D
Newegg right now has GFX deals going on

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit for 129
or 6870 169

or EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) for 109
its you cpu this game is cpu heavy more than gpu
03/02/2012 04:53 AMPosted by D3BETA
its you cpu this game is cpu heavy more than gpu

An E8500 can be "old" in tech standards, but it WAY more than enough for diablo 3. Its choppy because its beta most certainly.
03/02/2012 02:13 AMPosted by D3BETA
EVGA GeForce GTX 570

Wow... that's my GPU :S

I have 150FPS on average and no issues at all. If you can afford it/want to get a PC that lasts for LONG get it, that's my opinion.

On the other hand ATI are better if you plan to use HDMI on a TV (not PC-screen only) since they have a custom Overscan fixer and several cheap TVs suck when it comes to HDMI.

Anyway, if you plan on buying any of those YOU HAD BETTER have a 64 bit OS, or else you will have several issues with max settings.
OP, I looked at all the replies and there is some good advice here. I work in tech sales for a living. It's your CPU that needs to be upgraded.

To put it in perspective If you buy a new GPU and run it with a core 2 chip it's like buying thousand dollar speakers and hooking them up to an iPod dock. Not going to get the desired results if you know what I mean.

The best use of your 300 in my opinion is buying a $100 motherboard and a $200 nehalem i7 chip.
Very helpfull comments here, thanks alot guys!
I have that exact same card and run everything full blast. It doesn't skip at all.