Any way for CE buyers to pre-install?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 18 Next
http://us.media.battle.net.edgesuite.net/downloads/d3-installers/589acdb4-c660-318a-b993-01528fad7da6/Diablo-III-8370-enUS-Installer-downloader.exe

Try using that.

Useless if you dont have cdkey bound to your account

Don't care about PLAYING it right now - I just want to have the game fully INSTALLED and ready to go at 12:01 a.m. on 5/15/12
No, you can upgrade. That's how the annual pass works. I have the digital edition, but I'm buying the CE. It will give me 4 months of credit towards WoW.
03/15/2012 07:03 AMPosted by D3BETA
No, you can upgrade. That's how the annual pass works. I have the digital edition, but I'm buying the CE. It will give me 4 months of credit towards WoW.

We understand that is an option available for people who have the Annual Pass. My question is for those without it.
The Collector's Edition is only available from retail, and that means to play as soon as possible you'll want to hit a midnight release to pick it up (or hope FedEx drops off your package super fast). We don't have any plans to release a digital CE, it's a retail-only kind of thing. But! you may have a few options.

If you have the WoW Annual Pass (or go sign up for it now) you get a free digital copy of Diablo III. This will give you the game right at midnight, you can go download right now, all that stuff. Then, when you pick up your CE, you can overwrite the standard edition license with the CE license and you'll be granted 4 months of game time (more or less equivalent to the cost of the standard edition). So that's a good option. More info also available in the Annual Pass FAQ.

Alternatively, you can get the digital version now, play right at midnight, overwrite your license with your CE when you pick it up, and then contact our support department. In most situations they'll be able to grant you a new standard key, which you can then give to a friend, or whatever.
The Collector's Edition is only available from retail, and that means to play as soon as possible you'll want to hit a midnight release to pick it up. We don't have any plans to release a digital CE, it's a retail-only kind of thing. But! you may have a few options.

If you have the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3767193/Sign_Up_for_the_World_of_Warcraft_Annual_Pass_and_Get_Diablo_III_Free-10_21_2011"]WoW Annual Pass[/url] (or go sign up for it now) you get a free digital copy of Diablo III. This will give you the game right at midnight, you can go download right now, all that stuff. Then, when you pick up your CE, you can overwrite the standard edition license with the CE license and you'll be granted 4 months of game time (more or less equivalent to the cost of the standard edition). So that's a good option. More info also available in Annual Pass [url="http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-annual-pass-faq"]the FAQ[/url].

Alternatively, you can get the digital version now, play right at midnight, overwrite your license with your CE when you pick it up, and then contact our support department. In most situations they'll be able to grant you a new standard key, which you can then give to a friend, or whatever.

As if we end up playing WoW when D3 is released. Good joke bro :P
We understand that is an option available for people who have the Annual Pass. My question is for those without it.

It has nothing to do with the annual pass really. If you get the CE while having a digital copy, it should upgrade your account to the CE and you get 4 months of WoW game time. Now i don't know what happens if you don't have a WoW account, but i don't see why it would not work.
Bash, will the overwriting of the CE license cause us to lose any progress we have made?
Bash, does that mean if we download the current client now (Which you don't need an annual pass to do), that if we go pick up our CE at midnight, we can just overwrite the *nonexistent* license and play?
03/15/2012 07:06 AMPosted by Bashiok
In most situations they'll be able to grant you a new standard key, which you can then give to a friend, or whatever.

While I don't plan on using this and I'll just grab my CE after work that day, this is really awesome news. I know you guys really don't need to do this (and in turn, rake in more cash), so good on you. Good on you indeed.

I also really enjoy the "Sign of Release" in the "Get Diablo III" popup.
03/15/2012 07:08 AMPosted by D3BETA

It has nothing to do with the annual pass really. If you get the CE while having a digital copy, it should upgrade your account to the CE and you get 4 months of WoW game time. Now i don't know what happens if you don't have a WoW account, but i don't see why it would not work.

It has everything to do with the Annual Pass as you can tell from Bashiok's post. There really isn't a viable option for those who do not have it. (take a risk that CSR will give you a standard key in "most situations" lol?)
The Collector's Edition is only available from retail, and that means to play as soon as possible you'll want to hit a midnight release to pick it up. We don't have any plans to release a digital CE, it's a retail-only kind of thing. But! you may have a few options.

If you have the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3767193/Sign_Up_for_the_World_of_Warcraft_Annual_Pass_and_Get_Diablo_III_Free-10_21_2011"]WoW Annual Pass[/url] (or go sign up for it now) you get a free digital copy of Diablo III. This will give you the game right at midnight, you can go download right now, all that stuff. Then, when you pick up your CE, you can overwrite the standard edition license with the CE license and you'll be granted 4 months of game time (more or less equivalent to the cost of the standard edition). So that's a good option. More info also available in Annual Pass [url="http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-annual-pass-faq"]the FAQ[/url].

So there's no way to Pre-Install the game for FREE if we're already buying the CE, that's what it amounts to?

There won't be any way to use the same installer that the Pre-purchase/Annual Pass people will get a link to?

Yeah I would like to see a preload function without purchase just like the Beta was able to preload without license.

Alright, so what about if I go and start a Monk for example and level it to 15 with a standard edition, then next day I go to pickup my CE and upgrade my account. Is my lvl 15 Monk able to get those Angel Wings and dyes for him then eventhough I started him with my standard account?
03/15/2012 07:08 AMPosted by rhamutap
Bash, will the overwriting of the CE license cause us to lose any progress we have made?

No, it will not affect your characters or progress.
03/15/2012 07:10 AMPosted by D3BETA
Alright, so what about if I go and start a Monk for example and level it to 15 with a standard edition, then next day I go to pickup my CE and upgrade my account. Is my lvl 15 Monk able to get those Angel Wings and dyes for him then eventhough I started him with my standard account?

That's a good question. It depends on when that stuff is granted. I believe it's all possible to be traded to other characters on your account through the shared stash, so it should be a non-issue.
03/15/2012 07:10 AMPosted by Bashiok

No, it will not affect your characters or progress.

Cool, thx.

If you have the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3767193/Sign_Up_for_the_World_of_Warcraft_Annual_Pass_and_Get_Diablo_III_Free-10_21_2011"]WoW Annual Pass[/url] (or go sign up for it now) you get a free digital copy of Diablo III. This will give you the game right at midnight, you can go download right now, all that stuff. Then, when you pick up your CE, you can overwrite the standard edition license with the CE license and you'll be granted 4 months of game time (more or less equivalent to the cost of the standard edition). So that's a good option. More info also available in the [url="http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-annual-pass-faq"] Annual Pass FAQ[/url].

but! getting the client should be free right?, why cant we CE users like download the client, pickup the CE we orderd, register the key and play asap? skipping the install/download bits.

its the key we like "pay" for. could it work like it did whit the beta that is? i know some people that have had the client installed but been waiting for a key to play :)
In most situations they'll be able to grant you a new standard key, which you can then give to a friend, or whatever.

You sure i can do this ?
03/15/2012 07:10 AMPosted by Scourge
So there's no way to Pre-Install the game for FREE if we're already buying the CE, that's what it amounts to?

I'm not sure if the downloader is actually restricted, so you very well could pre-download. It won't save you from having to go pick up the game at midnight though because you still need the license from the box to attach to your account.