No pre-purchase bonus ?

General Discussion
Seriously, most online games released these days, have incentives for pre-ordering/pre-purchase.
I'm kind of disapointed to see blizzard being very oblivious to social media such as Facebook, no news feeds there, no connection with the community compared to other games.

the devs are probably creating a great game don't get me wrong, but I don't see any effort put in the presentation part of all this. So my remorse Question is why not spend more effort on the presentation of the product, and why not value was put in pre-purchase ? Why there is no incentive for online pre-purchase from blizzard, rather than a physical box from the local shop ?

Thank you, and no ignorant bashing please, i'm as much of a fan as you all are, i just believe in quality control and criticism !
Blizzard don't need to have

"buy the game today and play 5 days before everyone else!!!"

Most companies that do that only do it so that they can afford to finish development.
NOW the hatred is starting to return, there we go.
Seriously, most online games released these days, have incentives for pre-ordering/pre-purchase.
I'm kind of disapointed to see blizzard being very oblivious to social media such as Facebook, no news feeds there, no connection with the community compared to other games.

Actually, there is a news feed on Facebook by Blizzard specific to Diablo 3 content.

And also Blizzard gave thousands of Beta keys to outside community sites as a way to support the community fan bases that exist beyond Blizzard's own site. They even provided quick links to those sites, spreading awareness of them. Arguably Blizzard is one of the most community connected companies in the industry.

03/15/2012 08:05 AMPosted by GloryUnited
So my remorse Question is why not spend more effort on the presentation of the product, and why not value was put in pre-purchase ? Why there is no incentive for online pre-purchase from blizzard, rather than a physical box from the local shop ?

There is. There are already over a dozen threads on this forum from folks purchasing the box version asking Blizzard to give them some means of pre-downloading the game client that people pre-ordering the digital copy from Blizzard will get. The bonus for digitally pre-ordering is the option to play right at midnight, which seems to be a really big deal for some folks around here.
03/15/2012 08:19 AMPosted by Crazeld
I'm happy. Not a fan of head starts or other bonuses. Not to mention a good game doesn't need that junk to draw people in.

So, you guys are happy about paying more money for less content? Especially in Europe, where the "play when the servers are up" stuff is obsolete, because (even if by chance I do not find a retailer who sells the game early or recieve my Amazon copy beforehand like I always do) I can stroll over to the store on release date, pay less money for a physical copy and still be ready to play way before 9AM.

It is a valid point. There is no reason for getting the Digital Preorder (for this price) over a physical copy, besides being a foolish fanboi. I'm a fan. I loved the beta. I'll buy the game, for sure. But not like that, because I'm just not stupid.

I also agree that most of the stuff you usually get for preordering is absolute !@#$ (especially stuff that affects gameplay), but missing out on stuff (box etc.) AND paying more money ontop of that is plain wrong.

Adding exclusive cosmetic stuff (banners, something like the wings from the CE) would be very easy and an incentive for people to pick it up without penalizing players who do not buy it.
03/15/2012 08:49 AMPosted by D3BETA
I'm happy. Not a fan of head starts or other bonuses. Not to mention a good game doesn't need that junk to draw people in.

So, you guys are happy about paying more money for less content? Especially in Europe, where the "play when the servers are up" stuff is obsolete, because (even if by chance I do not find a retailer who sells the game early or recieve my Amazon copy beforehand like I always do) I can stroll over to the store on release date, pay less money for a physical copy and still be ready to play way before 9AM.

It is a valid point. There is no reason for getting the Digital Preorder (for this price) over a physical copy, besides being a foolish fanboi. I'm a fan. I loved the beta. I'll buy the game, for sure. But not like that, because I'm just not stupid.

I also agree that most of the stuff you usually get for preordering is absolute !@#$ (especially stuff that affects gameplay), but missing out on stuff (box etc.) AND paying more money ontop of that is plain wrong.

Adding exclusive cosmetic stuff (banners, something like the wings from the CE) would be very easy and an incentive for people to pick it up without penalizing players who do not buy it.

I'm a bit confused is there a difference in price between the digital copy and the retail copy?
What I can't understand is why i'm paying 59.99 for a digital download when I can go to the store and get a nice box for the same price. They should atleast give the CE ingame items as incentive or make the price lower.
stores make no money from the games the most they make is 1-5$ depending on the game
Why would that matter? You will buy it regardless anyways.

• Tax/Tariffs from Physical box and a nice tangible notepad, referral keys and catalogue with a book to explain some technical or safety precautions.
    Collective Purposes.
  • OR
  • Convenience of having it already installed and ready to go, not needing to get out at 12 am to go buy it and/or line up with people.

• The option of having it digital download vs. box is already the 'incentive', if you have used Steam then this 'option' isn't really an option and viewed upon as an 'incentive' but more of a viable and quick shipping method which reduces costs on their end and you get to play quicker. A win-win.

You are choosing to buy as a result of wanting to play, so why find reasons to do the opposite?