Holy Damage

Monk
I'm going to put it out there that one of the main advantages of playing the monk class is the ability to do Holy damage.

We're not really sure how resistances work at the moment, but currently it would appear the no monster or player has an innate resistance to Holy damage. Of course there could be hidden resistance like for Magic damage in D2.

If Holy damage can't be resisted, however, it could explain the somewhat lackluster damage percentages we're seeing on our spirit spenders. The idea could be to do less damage, but more unmitigated damage.

For example, Wave of Light seems to be getting a bad rap at the movement, but imagine if the ~300% damage could not be mitigated.

This could have a fascinating impact on PVP.

Currently Holy damage skills include:

Wave of Light
Mantra of Retribution
Cyclone Strike
Blinding Flash - Faith in the Light
Mantra of Conviction - Submission
Seven Sided Strike - Fulminating Assault
Way of the Hundred Fists - Fists of Fury
Breath of Heaven - Circle of Scorn
Serenity - Reap what is Sown
Inner Sanctuary - Forbidden Palace

(Lashing Tail Kick - Hand of Ytar has a white animation and I'm kind of hoping that it has hidden Holy damage)

That's really quite a few and putting together a Holy damage build doesn't seem that hard. It's all theoretical and will depend on how Holy damage is resisted in game, but I've found myself really trying to build around Holy Damage these days.
WoL in pvp is a bad idea imo. Even with exalted on you only get 2 usages out of it right away for 600% wd.

You wont be nuking anybody in PVP with just 600% wd. Otherwise Barbs would be OP with their 1600% wd aoe.

Plus the targets are always trying to avoid you so to build back 100 spirit is goign to take even longer than in PVE. Now if you try to stack regen spirit gear your giving up something else that could be better used in PVP.

LTK is still the better spirit spender in PvP than WoL.
Hate to say it, but currently Arcane and Holy damage resistances are combined into one stat for players (not sure if it will be the same case for monsters). Unfortunately it's unlikely Holy damage will have a noticeable advantage over the other damage types, especially if everyone gears to deal with all the wizards that will be running around.
Thanks Crustarr. That's interesting, if not surprising since that's the way Magic damage was handled in D2. Bit disappointing, though.

Just out of curiosity, is that assumption based on the D2 mechanic, or do we have a link to a Blue post on it?
I believe they are noted as being the same resistance stat (Holy/Arcane) in the UI.
Thanks Crustarr. That's interesting, if not surprising since that's the way Magic damage was handled in D2. Bit disappointing, though.

Just out of curiosity, is that assumption based on the D2 mechanic, or do we have a link to a Blue post on it?

What Abragayle said. It's in-game right now, listed on the "Details" page of the char stat sheet. I wouldn't say it's easy to spot in beta gameplay videos (if the page is ever opened to begin with, that is) but it's definitely there.

I'm a bit disappointed as well.
03/13/2012 07:29 PMPosted by Bottle
http://armadagaming.com/showthread.php?459-Armor-Resistances-and-Effective-Health

Its so beautiful....i feel enlightened