Why only level 60?

General Discussion
At the moment im thinking and i want your opinions too ( if this have been responsed yet forgive me )

Why only level 60? expansion will mean level 99? or we are going to have like 4+ expansions like wow?

Please this is a serious post so dont troll :)
60 is a good place to start, as I would bet the expansions will increase level caps by 10.
Room for expansions.
60 or 99 are just numbers. Why isn't there 99 000 levels and every other monster kill would gain you one?
so this will have like 4 or 5 exp?

i dont remember how many levels have Diablo II original.
At the moment im thinking and i want your opinions too ( if this have been responsed yet forgive me )

Why only level 60? expansion will mean level 99? or we are going to have like 4+ expansions like wow?

Diablo 1 was 50, and basically no one got past 40 without hacks.

There will be two expansions for D3, and no, this isn't like WoW and it may or may not be close to 99 by the end.
Why does it need to have 4 or 5 expansions. There is no set increase in level cap that Blizzard will add to a single expansion (only can guess from previous Diablo games).

Also what is the significance of level 99....why not 100 or 110.

They set the level progression such that you will complete Hell difficulty around level 60. You also need to be level 60 to get into inferno. As others have mentioned, they will most likely increase the level cap with expansions, but they never stated how many expansions they will have (depends on the lore) and how much they will increase the level cap per expansion.

~V
probably 70-80 increments. doubt there will be level 99 again sadly =/
D2 went to 60.
LoD went to 99.
03/14/2012 03:43 PMPosted by D3BETA
Why only level 60?

Why not level 60? Max level has to be somewhere.

03/14/2012 03:43 PMPosted by D3BETA
expansion will mean level 99? or we are going to have like 4+ expansions like wow?

It is unlikely (though technically not impossible) that an expansion will increase the level cap. Lord of Destruction didn't raise the level cap.

Diablo is not structured the same way that WoW is. In WoW, its MMO format assumes that every player has a chance of reaching the very end of the game's content. In Diablo 3, only a tiny fraction are intended to make it to the end of Inferno Difficulty. It's a functionally different system.

The Difficulty level system means that when an "Act 5" is added, it's not just extra content at level 60. It's extra content at the end of every difficulty level, which includes characters at all levels in the game. It's more likely that the difficulty of monsters in Acts 1-4 will be adjusted down slightly to make up for the presence of additional content at the end of each difficulty level.

It's only a number. Why level 99? Why not 50? Why not 200? It's all about pacing...not the actual number.
03/14/2012 03:57 PMPosted by Lõri
Why only level 60?

Why not level 60? Max level has to be somewhere.

expansion will mean level 99? or we are going to have like 4+ expansions like wow?

It is unlikely (though technically not impossible) that an expansion will increase the level cap. Lord of Destruction didn't raise the level cap.

Diablo is not structured the same way that WoW is. In WoW, its MMO format assumes that every player has a chance of reaching the very end of the game's content. In Diablo 3, only a tiny fraction are intended to make it to the end of Inferno Difficulty. It's a functionally different system.

The Difficulty level system means that when an "Act 5" is added, it's not just extra content at level 60. It's extra content at the end of every difficulty level, which includes characters at all levels in the game. It's more likely that the difficulty of monsters in Acts 1-4 will be adjusted down slightly to make up for the presence of additional content at the end of each difficulty level.

Yup, this. There's no real need to increase the level cap aside from acquiring new skills, and they could do that in a different manner rather than just having us do the traditional level up.
I stand corrected. Here's a post from Bashiok in another thread.

Diablo III levels are intended to pace the content, 1-30 in Normal, 30-50 in Nightmare, and 50-60 in Hell. It would stand to reason that were we to release an expansion we'd want additional levels to pace the additional content.

There will absolutely be newer and better items introduced at some point as well, potentially even in patches.

It didn't copy his blue text, but here's a link to the thread where he posted it:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3866666929?page=3#46
Yeah it's pretty much a psychological technique to keep you coming back for more...

With the original game you level up to 60, you have everything at the top tier.
Expansion comes out, raises cap... (people who really like the game, maybe not all) will want to reach the peak again and get the gear to go with it....
Expand ad nauseam or until developers move on.
Level cap is 60. its blatently obvious that its for milking more expansions. If theres more than 2 expansions for D3 Ill quit playing. Not putting up with that.
There will be more than one expansion.
we will have more lv at next exps :) no worries
03/14/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Shyster
basically no one got past 40 without hacks

Uh.. 40+ wasn't hard. I did 40+ on a sorcerer and a rogue with no trouble and not really too much time spent. No hacks, no duped items. All stuff I either bought from an NPC or got from a monster drop. It slowed down a decent bit in the 40s though. I never got passed level 43 before getting bored.

Anyway, as was said, a level is just a number. I wouldn't think too much about it because it isn't relevant.