Main hand damage ?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
So skills like

Bash - Brutally smash an enemy for 150% weapon damage with a 20% chance for Knockback.

does it use main hand damage or offhand or both combined? seems pretty obvious to go dual wield if so though..?
i believe i remember reading somewhere that it alternates between hands, not sure though
Previously it was based on alternating attacks, but that obviously had some potentially annoying implications to try to time your abilities to the weapon you wanted to pull damage from. This was changed in Patch 13, though - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3123246179#13

When dual-wielding, certain skills will now always use your main-hand weapon to determine damage

Also, as far as I'm aware, "certain skills" is actually just any skill that uses weapon damage as a factor.
I believe some skills (like Hammer of the Ancients etc.) hit with the main (right) hand exclusively, so make sure you have your higher damager weapon in the right hand.

EDIT: Damn ninja'ed
Previously it was based on alternating attacks, but that obviously had some potentially annoying implications to try to time your abilities to the weapon you wanted to pull damage from. This was changed in Patch 13, though - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3123246179#13

When dual-wielding, certain skills will now always use your main-hand weapon to determine damage

Also, as far as I'm aware, "certain skills" is actually just any skill that uses weapon damage as a factor.

So just to be sure, "main hand" is the right hand, correct?
Oh, and also, so then what is the point of dual wielding? I mean, shouldn't you just keep the one with the higher damage and put something else on the other hand if they aren't combined damage for each hit?

Now we just need an actual skill damage display like D2 had!
03/20/2012 02:19 PMPosted by Atreides

The slots in-game actually appear to be titled 1-hand and Off-hand. It'd be the 1-hand slot.
03/20/2012 02:21 PMPosted by DarkGollumQC

So all the skill?

Yes except for something like the Barb's Threatening Shout. It does not use weapon damage.
03/20/2012 02:16 PMPosted by Bashiok

Hey Bash, I appreciate the feedback, but I feel like this is a little vague to help us understand.

Nearly every single skill uses weapon damage as a factor. So, are you saying that if you use a skill, your higher-damage item is calculated for damage alone?

Additionally, what of the item affixes of the off-hand? Will they be forfeited because that item is never used (because it has less damage), or will the affixes still apply while the damage is pulled from the main?

Thanks for the feedback.
... So does your off hand damage ever matter for anything then?

How helpful is a DPS figure in your inventory window when it refers to a hasted alternating MH/OH swing, and that's not what your abilities use? Wouldn't you just be better off stacking weapon and elemental damage in the MH, and then straight stats and high speed in the OH? With absolutely NO consideration for the OH's damage?
03/20/2012 02:23 PMPosted by Bashiok

The slots in-game actually appear to be titled 1-hand and Off-hand. It'd be the 1-hand slot.

so only reson to dual weild is the affixes the 2 weapon gives ?

as auto attack are gone ;-)
Bash, could you explain the benefits of dual-wielding then if all of your skills base off of the main hand? It sounds like you'd only ever want a high-damage 2-hander and get the most out of your skills.
03/20/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Lidless
Bash, could you explain the benefits of dual-wielding then if all of your skills base off of the main hand? It sounds like you'd only ever want a high-damage 2-hander and get the most out of your skills.
Your swing timer is hasted by 30% when you dw, I believe.

EDIT: Dourden tells me I'm a dummy and it's 15%.
so only reson to dual weild is the affixes the 2 weapon gives ?

as auto attack are gone ;-)

Auto attack was never in the game. You're probably talking about Basic Attack. To use it, you simply drag a skill off of a location on the hotbar, and voila. Basic attack.
so if i duel wield 17.0 crossbow in the main and a 3.0 crossbow off-hand my damage will be 17.0 for skills (plus the base IAS increase from duel wield)?