Wizard skill UI labels!

Wizard
This is the current set up for the wizard’s skills under the new ui and some of the skills really don’t belong under these titles, so why are they there! I’ve underlined skills that don’t belong under their titles.

Primary
Magic Missile, Shock Pulse, Spectral Blade, Electrocute

Secondary
Arcane orb , Ray of Frost, Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate

Defensive
Frost Nova, Diamond Skin, Slow Time, Teleport

Arcane
Wave of Force , Energy Twister, Hydra, Meteor, Blizzard

Conjuration
Ice Armor, Storm Armor, Magic Weapon, Familiar, Energy Armor

Mastery
Explosive Blast , Mirror Image , Archon

Now I’ve relabelled them under their correct titles this is how they should be set up under the new ui.

Primary
Magic Missile, Shock Pulse, Spectral Blade, Electrocute

Secondary
Ray of Frost, Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate

Defensive
Frost Nova, Diamond Skin, Slow Time, Teleport, Wave of Force, Mirror Image

Arcane
Energy Twister, Hydra, Meteor, Blizzard, Arcane orb, Explosive Blast

Conjuration
Ice Armor, Storm Armor, Magic Weapon, Familiar, Energy Armor

Mastery
Archon

I hope to see more skills added in future patches that give the class more skill that fit under the correct titles. And not just stuck under title to space out the skills.
It's an issue with all the classes, since they are trying to force this six-category system in order to fit the six active skill slots. The problem is that there are at best really only four types of skills, so with the current system you end up with these extra arbitrary categories and nonsensical organization due to trying to balance the skills between said categories.

What (I think) would work better would be to just go with a four-category system:

Primary (resource generators)

Offensive (resource consuming damage)

Defensive (crowd control)

Support (buffs)

and then leave the last two slots as "free" slots where people can put whatever abilities they want. Since I would think that by the time players unlocked their 5th slot they would have figured the system out.

Anyway, just my opinion on what would make for a much simpler and more intuitive system.
It's not really that simple once you get into runes.

Just about every spell can fit into every category. Half the abilities in Arcane fit well into Conjuration. Hydra at the very least. Archon would be fine in Arcane as well.

With non-elective mode on they're trying to help beginners with these categories.

Also, consider the possibility that PvP may be balanced around these categories of spells. It's pure rumor of course, but it would be much simpler to balance pvp around 1 spell per category than anything else, and everyone would be limited easily. Since they do fit somewhat well it wouldn't be that bad. They wouldn't be able to put only one spell in each category though. Some messiness would naturally occur. Especially when runes are involved.

Just about every spell can fit into every category. Half the abilities in Arcane fit well into Conjuration. Hydra at the very least. Archon would be fine in Arcane as well.

The skills have been label based on their default ability's so that new comers can at lest have an understanding of how the spell works and what its used for.

The skills have been label based on their default ability's so that new comers can at lest have an understanding of how the spell works and what its used for.

Yes, I did say that in my post as well.

Naturally it's arguable which category a spell is in, but it doesn't matter unless we're limited to 1 spell per category at some point. (PvP Balance?)

Naturally it's arguable which category a spell is in, but it doesn't matter unless we're limited to 1 spell per category at some point. (PvP Balance?)

I doubt they will balance pvp like that unless they bring in a mode like DOTA then maybe.
They should simply make

Mastery: Ice Armor, Storm Armor, Energy Armor
Conjuration: Magic Weapon, Familiar, Archon (maybe even Hydra since you can't really dump you're arcane with a spell that is casted every 10-15sec (unless you wreck everything))

I doubt they will balance pvp like that unless they bring in a mode like DOTA then maybe.

Even though you take elective mode, let's face it, who's going for a build without this kind of setup suggested by the UI ? (except 1-2 spells of course). Unless you're making some kind of really weird build (like pure glass cannon for a 3 man group). You'll always end with

1 signature, 1 low mana cost, 1 dump, 1-2 defensive skills, 1-2 buff skills (armor / pet)

I don't understand the logic behind that statement.
03/19/2012 05:52 AMPosted by Heratli

Well The newer dota style game eg ROI-HON-LOL use a patten when making their skills for each hero and its normally.

1 short c/d spell (the spamer) 1 slightly longer c/d spell (big damage) 1 defensive skill(mid to short c/d) 1ultimate skill (on very long c/d) followed by 2 utility spells (on mid to long c/d). so in short 6 spells that could be listed under diablo3 new label system.
03/19/2012 05:09 PMPosted by Silent

Well The newer dota style game eg ROI-HON-LOL use a patten when making their skills for each hero and its normally.

1 short c/d spell (the spamer) 1 slightly longer c/d spell (big damage) 1 defensive(mid to short c/d) skill 1ultimate skill (no very long c/d)followed by 2 utility spells (on mid to long c/d). so in short 6 spells that could be listed under diablo3 new label system.

They're two very opposite gaming styles, and your theory is simply untrue with half the champions, who are strong in only 2 areas or even just one.

Kat has mobility and damage, but nothing strong otherwise. Morgana doesn't have any sort of spammable damage ability, but has to wait on longer cd spells that have utility.

D3 you pick and choose. The 1 per category - particularly with runes - could never be limiting in the way preselected champion spells are for you.

It would be more like that DotA map setting that let you get random abilities on every character. Was wicked fun.