Where should I start?

Lore and Story
I want to get into the lore of this game and I am interested in the stories but I dont know what book I should start with or what order I should go in. thanks in advance.
Is this book of Cain you are talking about the Diablo III: Book of Cain ..http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Book-Cain-Deckard/dp/1608870634/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1332308900&sr=8-10?

I am in the same boat as the TC hence why I am asking about this as well.
Is this book of Cain you are talking about the Diablo III: Book of Cain ..http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Book-Cain-Deckard/dp/1608870634/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1332308900&sr=8-10?

I am in the same boat as the TC hence why I am asking about this as well.

Ya that's the book of cain. Its a great starting point since its basically Diablo lore 101.
The Book of Cain will give you an overview of everything.

And I do mean everything.
A creation myth,
The notable Angels and Demons,
Notable locations in Heaven and Hell,
Explanation of Sanctuary's origin,
Notation on what the Endless Conflict is,
Abridged histories on the major wars on Sanctuary,
Review of the events of Diablo 1 and Diablo 2,

It's an excellent resource and a very quick read. The Perfect Primer for anyone looking to get their feet wet with Diablo Lore.
don't bother playing d1 and d2 if you just want lore, the book of cain covers pretty much everything and more at a high level
The Book of Cain is a really good start, but it seriously skimmed past the events of diablo 2 with less information than I could fit onto a sticky note.

The Book dosnt even mention Izual which is a big deal in the lore (Cain was even at the pandemonium fortress when it happened how the hell he missed that is a mystery on it's own). So the book is more kin to a college history report than it is to a story.

If you want the full Lore I'd read The Book of Cain first,
from there in chronological order I believe.

Birthright
Scales of the serpent
The Veiled Phrophet
Demonsbane
The Black Road
Legacy of Blood
The Kingdom of Shadow
Moon of the Spider

While reading all the books are great, nothing can replace the "experiance" of seeing the first two games with your own eyes, and listening to all the dialog.
From what I gather, book of cain and the sin war are all you really need if you're strapped on time. I've heard good things about the relevance of moon of the Spider as well.