So Inferno is now just another difficulty...

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
As said by Bash:

"This is may be a good a time as any to REVEAL TEH SEKRITS! that Inferno monster levels aren't linear any longer. They get progressively more difficult. This was really a reaction to Inferno playtesting. Our original intent was to have a flat difficulty level where you could go wherever you want, farm for items, and it'd be no more or less difficult than any other area in Inferno. This caused a few inherent issues for us, though:

It just felt wrong. It didn't feel right to be progressing through the game and have it stay pretty much the same difficulty the whole time. It felt like a letdown to get to the final boss of the game and it be no more difficult than the first.
There’s a wide variety of players out there and we wanted to make sure everybody had something to sink their teeth into. We expect that anybody with enough time and dedication will reach level 60. But the jump in difficulty to Inferno needed to be different amounts for different people. For the crazy people they need a HUGE ramp in difficulty, for a more “casual but still hardcore” audience you want an obvious but milder increase in difficulty. So for the crazy people who play non-stop they’ll hit Act I and get a challenge, but 1 month later they’ll still have something to work on (Acts II, III and IV). For the “hardcore-casual” they will reach level 60 later and not get brick walled when they reach Inferno. They can experience some “small victories” working on Act I with the dream of maybe someday reaching the later acts.
Longevity. We know people really want goals to work towards and challenges to overcome. We made Act III and Act IV really, really brutally hard, for the most elite players only. It felt wrong to make ALL of Inferno that brutally hard.Now, you may be saying “I thought you wanted us to be able to farm anywhere we wanted. Now we only have half as much area in the game to farm in? What gives?” Our goal is to make the loot mathematically better in the later acts without making the earlier gear completely obsolete. We feel Diablo II actually did a very good job with this and we expect Diablo III to perform similarly.

Specifically, people in D2 did Diablo runs, Mephisto runs, Pindleskin runs, Pit runs, Baal runs, etc. because the loot in Diablo is extremely random. Even though the theoretical best items might come from the later Acts, well-rolled items from earlier acts will still be better. Internally we find sometimes after an intense session of brutally hard Inferno it can be really fun to cruise through Hell Act III or IV and it’s not too uncommon surprise when an upgrade drops. We expect this to carry through to Inferno difficulty where somebody who can theoretically farm Act IV will likely still enjoy romping through Act I simply because the drop potential is still there. It’s all because of the highly random items having lots of overlap in their power distribution curves."

To me this just feels like Blizzard literally trolling and finding an excuse to raise the level cap in their expansions.

They went back on their "we don't want people to farm one act all day everyday" and changed inferno into a gear check.

Inferno is literally just a gear check. Nothing else. The monsters have raised levels/stats/attributes and you only need better gear to get through these monsters.

I really don't get this.
If the gear isn't that much better in the later acts, then it wont be so much of a gear check. I hope this is the case, otherwise then yeah it will be just another difficulty without gaining additional levels.
Inferno is literally just a gear check. Nothing else. The monsters have raised levels/stats/attributes and you only need better gear to get through these monsters.

that's all you had to say =P
but then again, how can you be so certain when you have not played inferno yet and seen what kind of items will be dropping?
Just because we have played Diablo and Diablo 2 for a long time does not mean we will know Diablo 3. We can think that we will know everything about it by reading posts and watching videos or playing beta, but we are all entitled to opinions.
If you are looking forward to playing this game and enjoying it, then just wait.
Speculation about certain features of this game will just cause more mixed feelings for readers and even more so for yourself.
I don't know about you, but I have waited a looooooong time for Diablo 3.
Kind of reminds me of the wait for another sequel to another Blizzard Ent. game.....
Unlike wow, there is more to diablo than gear.
There is timing, and aiming.
OP, be silent. Having act1 being slightly easier than act4 inferno is a good thing as he quite clearly stated and for quite obvious reasons.
Well, kinda. Hell is for leveling. Inferno is for a great challenge after you hit level 60.
Meh. So?

Gear check, no gear check. What's it matter?
Point of a game is to have fun. If you feel it's too easy, you go forward a difficulty or an act.
If you feel it's too hard, you play an act or a difficulty back.
All there is too it.

The more variety of difficulty for max levels there is, the more certain you can be you'll be able to have fun no matter how crappy or how great your gear is. You'll just have that fun in different acts. No problem with that.
ARPG's have more or less always worked that way. Any game with gear and stats falls into that trap to varying degrees. There's also the matter of creating an effective build and playing well, but it's hard to say how important this will be until we've actually played Inferno.

And besides, Inferno is still working as intended. You're not going to out level monsters, and it's going to take a hell of a long time to out gear them, and even when you are in uber-leet gear, who's to say it will be a cake walk? Consistent, permanent challenge, that's what it's all about.

Too many unknowns, let's just wait and see. Not long now, a month and a few weeks! ARGHH.
03/30/2012 04:04 PMPosted by Wade
If the gear isn't that much better in the later acts, then it wont be so much of a gear check. I hope this is the case, otherwise then yeah it will be just another difficulty without gaining additional levels.

My concern is that this will lead to no one playing the later acts because the extra difficulty isn't worth the negligible change in loot quality. We'll end up right back in that 'farm the same location' mentality that inferno was supposed to correct.
Really disappointing lol. Now everyone will just be farming Act 1 inferno as it's will be easier, unless act 4 inferno drops better stuff, then everyone will just farm there.

The point was so they didn't limit people to tiny areas of the game in their farming. Fail on that goal.
03/30/2012 04:29 PMPosted by D3BETA
Terrible change. This goes against EVERYTHING Blizzard initially stated was their goal for the end game/inferno. A complete 360 by Blizzard regarding this.

Who cares? Words are wind.

If it was revealed by internal testing this is a better model than so be it.
03/30/2012 04:29 PMPosted by D3BETA
Terrible change. This goes against EVERYTHING Blizzard initially stated was their goal for the end game/inferno. A complete 360 by Blizzard regarding this.

What? Actually, based on their discussion at Blizzcon last year, I thought everything in Bashiok's post was pretty obvious.

At Blizzcon they talked about Inferno featuring three different "tiers" of gear as you progress through, and explicitly apologized for borrowing that language from WoW. That in itself made it pretty clear that you'd have to farm Act 1 and maybe Act 2 to get gear for the middle, and farm the middle to get gear for the end.

This information has been out there, but if you weren't interested enough to look it up or read between the lines, maybe it's not worth getting upset about?
Ah so this is where all the posts I saw about this came from. Thanks for the clarification.

I don't mind really. I agree that it seems wrong for the difficulty to never change.

A complete 360 by Blizzard regarding this.

Not sure if troll, or just dumb.

...not sure if serious...or just stupid...
I'm a fan of the Diablo series, so I will play as many gear check difficulties as they throw at me... but it does make me wonder why bother with a fourth difficulty. Couldn't they scale the first three so Hell mode is the Inferno, and NM is the level/farm?

It'd be different if we had a level cap 85+, but it is 60. 35 in normal, 25 in NM.
I think it makes sense with the way the skills are now. You spend the first 3 playthroughs trying out skills and runes, and then when you hit 60 and everything is available, then there's and entire fourth playthrough to use your completed skill build in.
And yeah, they could have us be level 60 at the end of nightmare, and do the same, but then people would complain endlessly about hitting the level cap at the end of nightmare.
03/30/2012 04:46 PMPosted by D3BETA
It'd be different if we had a level cap 85+, but it is 60. 35 in normal, 25 in NM.

What they've said is that you'll hit 60 around the last 3rd of Hell.
Not everyone here is a math major that knows that 360 degrees = a full circle. A lot of people here are liberal arts or politics or international relations majors in college.
03/30/2012 04:50 PMPosted by D3BETA
Not everyone here is a math major that knows that 360 degrees = a full circle. A lot of people here are liberal arts or politics or international relations majors in college.

I'd call it a complete 720 actually. Wheeee!!