Highest DPS Items in the Game Guide

Items and Crafting
I was wondering what the community thought about the currently listed weapons in the Game Guide and how much they might change for release.

At the moment the highest DPS 1 handed weapon is the final tier mace with 327DPS
The closest two are the final tier axes and Barb's mighty weapons at 285.3DPS, a substantial drop.
Monk's 1 handed class weapon, the fist weapon comes in at 248.5, another big drop.
The wands and hand crossbows are lower again but they are ranged so its harder to compare.

For 2 handed weapons the highest DPS is again the final tier mace at 512.1DPS (more damage then cancer), followed by the final tier polearm at 493.5.
The final tier 2 handed mighty weapon comes in at a measly 465DPS bellow the axe at 469.5DPS.

Do you guys like the current damage per second stats or do you hope they will be changed?

I for one would like to see class items have a damage buff, especially the mighty weapons as their whole description explains that they are bigger, sharper etc then normal weapons.
And I'm plan on rolling a Wizard.

Anyway enough procrastination, I should probably do my assignment.
I think wands will have some sort of +dmg to wizards, wich is not included in the dps...
Or mybe they changed that, dont know.
But with the off-hand items for wizard you will still reach better dmg than 2 hands i think, or mybe a bit less dmg, but more cool bonuses for wizards.

I hope it is not all about dmg, the other bonuses that items can have should make it worth using same weapon with less dmg in some cases.
they may have updated the items since yesterday, im not sure, but I have looked and found higher DPS's on all the item groups u listed OP, not trying to be a jerk just bringing it to ur attention is all! GL on that assignment
http://forcestrategygaming.com/content/weapon-types-analysis#comment-1818

I thread I have going on Force's new site that breaks down the top end damage for all the weapon types at level 10 Blacksmith crafted versions (spears and polearms don't have crafted versions on the guide yet)

An interesting thing I found is that the lvl 10 BS crafted items are only equivalent to the second best item's lowest damage range.

If you only look at normal items you will notice each weapon type has 3 level 60 variants of different quality. We could call these tiers. Tier 2 at the min values are what level 10 BS items are based on. Tier 3 at max value is about 17-20% higher then the min of Tier 2.

This means the best items in the game are going to be Tier 3 lvl 60 rares with 6 random affixes that you want. Heh going to be rare indeed since both the quality of the Tier would have to max as well as the quality of all 6 affixes.

The post I linked at the top shows that 2H mace is currently the highest dps weapon choice in the game albeit the slowest as well.

If you factor in +int damage bonus and +dam from the offhands WD and Wizard can equal that with 1handers more then likely so that is still a valid option for them, but for Barb that will be the hardest hitting weapon type.

Monk is can't use maces so his highest damage weapon choice is Polearms. Dual-weilding won't make up for the gap between 1h and 2h weapon dmg/dps for the monk and he doesn't have the option of +dmg offhands like the WD and Wiz do.

DH can't use 2h's so their highest dps option is Xbow with a quiver. Since all three ranged weapon types they can use can also be used with a quiver this puts Bow and Xbow way ahead of Hand Xbow even when dualweilding since the quiver makes up for the attack speed bonus of dual-wielding and the extra stats. Hand Xbow only seems good from a resouce generation standpoint and for using a single Hand Xbow + shield if you want to be defensive.

For any class that wants to build defensively 1h Mace+Shield is the highest damage combo for every class and they can all use it. DH is of course is limited in what skills it can use with a melee 1h.
Thank you Yelgis,

Very informative.
I was wondering what the community thought about the currently listed weapons in the Game Guide and how much they might change for release.

At the moment the highest DPS 1 handed weapon is the final tier mace with 327DPS
The closest two are the final tier axes and Barb's mighty weapons at 285.3DPS, a substantial drop.
Monk's 1 handed class weapon, the fist weapon comes in at 248.5, another big drop.
The wands and hand crossbows are lower again but they are ranged so its harder to compare.

For 2 handed weapons the highest DPS is again the final tier mace at 512.1DPS (more damage then cancer), followed by the final tier polearm at 493.5.
The final tier 2 handed mighty weapon comes in at a measly 465DPS bellow the axe at 469.5DPS.

Do you guys like the current damage per second stats or do you hope they will be changed?

I for one would like to see class items have a damage buff, especially the mighty weapons as their whole description explains that they are bigger, sharper etc then normal weapons.
And I'm plan on rolling a Wizard.

Anyway enough procrastination, I should probably do my assignment.

Straight DPS isn't the only stat on the weapons. We won't know for sure until later which extra benefits the weapons will have (% damage to specific class / extra pri attrib / etc)
Give me my Dual BOTD for great poison dmg Over time!!
Anyone else having issues fathoming why using your bare hands could ever be slower than holding a weapon that has a weight to it? Should fist weapons and hand-wraps have incredibly fast attack speeds?
I pretty much had the same question:

Excluding aesthetic reasons, when would I ever choose a melee weapon type other than a mace!??!

Given two lvl60 rare weapon types (a mace vs any other type) that have the same affixes, the mace seems to always be the better option. They have the highest damage per hit, and highest DPS!

I was expecting some variation; for example one type to have best DPS, another type to have best per hit damage. Maybe a type that spawns with pretty good damage every time, and another type that has a small chance to spawn with very high damage. But nope. Not at the moment anyway... I'm also hoping for additional modifiers on the different types to help distinguish them, like Kexistraza mentioned.

But so far, my wizard will eventually end up with a lovely rare Doom Hammer. Or perhaps a Demolisher with a complementary Orb...

...And my Monk will duel wield Demolishers! My Barb too! ...needs more variety.
I posted this on Crafting forums;

If the dropped rares can also have 6 magic random properties, they will be the best.

Just looking at the item guide, we can see that there is 1 specific item for each item type only available from drops and it has the highest base dps.

Here is an example;

The highest craftable mighty weapon is Exalted Grand Behemoth and it uses Behemoth type of weapon as a base. Its base dps listed as 469 which is the lowest possible dps for Behemoth type mighty weapons.

Exalted Grand Behemoth - 469 dps;
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/exalted-grand-behemoth

Regular(white) Behemoth - 469 - 481 dps;
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/behemoth

If we look at other mighty weapons, we see a higher dps weapon on the list, Titan Axe and since rare version of it will only available as a drop, a rare Titan axe will have a chance to be highest dps out of all mighty weapons.

Regular(white) Titan axe - 555 - 567 dps;
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/titan-axe

Hope this explains it a bit.
I pretty much had the same question:

Excluding aesthetic reasons, when would I ever choose a melee weapon type other than a mace!??!

Given two lvl60 rare weapon types (a mace vs any other type) that have the same affixes, the mace seems to always be the better option. They have the highest damage per hit, and highest DPS!

I was expecting some variation; for example one type to have best DPS, another type to have best per hit damage. Maybe a type that spawns with pretty good damage every time, and another type that has a small chance to spawn with very high damage. But nope. Not at the moment anyway... I'm also hoping for additional modifiers on the different types to help distinguish them, like Kexistraza mentioned.

But so far, my wizard will eventually end up with a lovely rare Doom Hammer. Or perhaps a Demolisher with a complementary Orb...

...And my Monk will duel wield Demolishers! My Barb too! ...needs more variety.

In certain situations weapons with faster attack speeds will be preferable even if the listed dps is lower. The most obvious example is for the monk since the monk uses skill combos such that every 3rd strike has an added effect (defensive buff, mob debuff, extra damage, etc). Since the 3rd step of the combo is static, getting to the 3rd step as fast as possible will result in higher dps. So for example, with the Windforce Fury rune, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/monk/active/way-of-the-hundred-fists shoots a 250% weapon damage tornado across the screen. But there are also such things as "on-hit" effects that benefit from faster weapons, that will more than make up for the difference in dps compared to slower weapons that hit harder.
05/03/2012 09:48 AMPosted by Tortfeasor
n certain situations weapons with faster attack speeds will be preferable even if the listed dps is lower. The most obvious example is for the monk since the monk uses skill combos such that every 3rd strike has an added effect (defensive buff, mob debuff, extra damage, etc). Since the 3rd step of the combo is static, getting to the 3rd step as fast as possible will result in higher dps. So for example, with the Windforce Fury rune, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/monk/active/way-of-the-hundred-fists shoots a 250% weapon damage tornado across the screen. But there are also such things as "on-hit" effects that benefit from faster weapons, that will more than make up for the difference in dps compared to slower weapons that hit harder.

Alright, I see where you are coming from:
I't obvious how +Direct Damage effects would benefit; So a quick calculation will show if the dmg/speed trade-off is worth it, but I still think the higher weapon DPS will be best in most scenarios.

Any +% damage on hit (skills for example) doesn't change anything. Skills are based on weapon damage AND weapon speed; aka DPS is king, always choose higher DPS, therefore always choose a mace. This even applies to those monk still you referenced.

An effect or buff "on hit" on the other hand becomes the most interesting part! This is what I failed to consider when I asked the question. If (and only if) your build is centered around a % chance to _______ , then you need to balance your attack speed so that the buff has a high chance of being reapplied before wearing off.

Alright, so the scenario is not as grim as I once thought, but some more variety would still be welcome. That mace is still best for the vast majority of builds.
You can't see any of the affixes on them yet. Clearly the lower-DPS legendaries bring some other large advantage to the table. Some defensive capability, some stat boost, some AoE proc, something.

Can't even speculate on it at all, until the game guide goes live.
You can't see any of the affixes on them yet. Clearly the lower-DPS legendaries bring some other large advantage to the table. Some defensive capability, some stat boost, some AoE proc, something.

Can't even speculate on it at all, until the game guide goes live.

What I'm talking about is for designing or planning the perfect build. In that case, I can ignore legendary items because a rare item with PERFECT affixes will be better. In that case, my choice turns to a mace with perfect affixes, or another weapon type with perfect affixes?

Obviously these perfect items are long term goals. When actually playing the game, you will simply equip which ever item is best at that moment in time, be it a legendary or rare, or magical.
While what you have said si true, keep in mind DPS isn't everything.

Some skills do not do damage, or have a damage independent effect. Impale for the DH for example (dirst ruen(, has a static stun % chance and stun duration. To maximize stun a fasterr attacking weapon (eg. hand crossbow) is better, even if a 2h crossbow would be dealing more DPS. Frenzy with triumph is another good example.

I jsut realized you covered that in your previous post

there are 2 other factors to consider, though:

1) "Weapons master" type passives, that affect certian weapons different ways.

2) The effect of different weapons on what constitutes "melee range" is there one?
1) "Weapons master" type passives, that affect certian weapons different ways.
2) The effect of different weapons on what constitutes "melee range" is there one?

Other than the Barbarian's 'Weapon Master', I don't think either of those other factors exist. Not that I am currently aware of anyway... Oh, Demon Hunter has 'Archery' for ranged weapons. But that seems to be it.

I think I've come to terms with it though; each type provides a different speed vs damage ratio. Fast weapons have low DPS, slow weapons have high DPS, and then there are a few in between.

But maces are still best for maximizing DPS! lol.
The items havent been updated in forever. They will wowify d2 and everyone will have the same dps cap for easy balancing etc. etc.
03/30/2012 07:56 PMPosted by Goady
Anyone else having issues fathoming why using your bare hands could ever be slower than holding a weapon that has a weight to it? Should fist weapons and hand-wraps have incredibly fast attack speeds?

Maybe the handwraps are made of lead
Seriously? Did you look through the guide? Those crappy white items aren't even close to the highest DPS.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/wizardspike

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/skorn

The highest 1 and 2 hand ones. Personally having 2 Wizardspikes seems like a good option. It'll depend what is on the items though.

That axe has rediculous damage.
me and my friend went through many of these facts last night just sayin theres many advantages to either one handed or two handed weapons (higher dmg vs more magic abilities) it all depends your prefrences/needs i think it will all be balanced to the point that no one weapon will be better than the other it just depends on what you want