I'd rather play it my way and suck

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
instead of Blizzard making the 'right' choices for me

OK, I understand that when people say D2 only had an illusion of choice. I get that there are optimal builds. But do I need an optimal build to truly enjoy the game? No. I played D2 with friends only. About 5 of us, and we'd have the most noobtastic builds you can imagine, some useful, others just lmao funny. We had a Barbarian with 10 levels of leap, and all he did was jump around trying to 'disturb' the creeps while we tried to slowly kill them. I suppose none of us would have lasted 2 seconds in PVP against optimal builds. However, we sat there, thought about what our favorite skills were, increased INT for our barbarians so we could use WW longer, and we loved it. Each character was planned by us, played for hours for fun, and while they might 'suck', we still snailed our way through Hell and had a lot of fun with our unique characters and builds that WE made.

Now, D3 makes the right choices for me. But instead of an RPG, it feels more like a 'connect the dots' game. This comic pretty much sums up what I feel like about leveling in D3

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iRE1f7T37Zk/TS8I2B62zdI/AAAAAAAAAUk/Z5Vk3IQcX5g/s1600/12.+Connecting+the+Dots.gif

EDIT: OK I've read a lot of posts and I think I finally understand why many people DON'T want others to be able to allocate stat points. Simply because, they're afraid that others can have better, more efficient characters! Basically, their reasoning is, if stat points are auto assigned, then everyone would be the same and therefore they would never be at a disadvantage. And because they always have 'the same' characters as other people, they'd never have to re-roll. But, if people were given the freedom to allocate their own stat points, someone would make a better character than them and suddenly, their character would be 'gimped' and 'useless' and they'd need to reroll and 'follow a build'. By forcing everyone to be the same, they'd never be outplayed by other people. By forcing everyone to be the same, they'd never be 'bad'.

Here's what I think: If you want a safe way to play the game and be able to finish Inferno, then good, Blizzard has an auto allocate skill point system that will ensure you, your character will be good enough to finish Inferno. Hooray. For other people who want to mess around with their stats, LET THEM. If they screw up and won't be able to finish Inferno, that's their own problem. Would it affect you? No. If they succeed and make a character different from what Blizzard is offering but still effective, then kudos to them. They put thought into making their own unique character different from everybody else, and it worked out for them. Will their success affect you? No. Basically, if you want your stat points to be auto allocated, great, go ahead. But if others want to mess with their stat points, why try to stop them? It will in no way affect your own game.
Diablo is to RPG what original C&C is to FPS.
Why can't you still do this? You can still play the way you want to play, but you won't have to remake your character at level 30 because you wasted your skill and attribute points.
04/22/2012 10:00 AMPosted by Chito
Why can't you still do this? You can still play the way you want to play, but you won't have to remake your character at level 30 because you wasted your skill and attribute points.

No you can't, you only get to play the way Blizzard wants you to play. Through pre-determined skills with no consequences for your choices. Half of the fun in Diablo is learning through trial and error, feeling like you were getting somewhere when you made the right decision. Now it's just a mindless joyride for more loot.

No you can't, you only get to play the way Blizzard wants you to play. Through pre-determined skills with no consequences for your choices. Half of the fun in Diablo is learning through trial and error, feeling like you were getting somewhere when you made the right decision. Now it's just a mindless joyride for more loot.

Elective mode.. you can pick and choose any skill and put them on ANY slot. That's a LOT of skills at level 60 to choose from.

I swear, this needs to be enabled by default.. to many people won't know about it.
04/22/2012 10:08 AMPosted by Tyrindor

Elective mode.. you can pick and choose any skill and put them on ANY slot.

I swear, this needs to be enabled by default.. to many people won't know about it.

I'm not talking about modes, I'm talking about there not being any consequences to your actions. I want to build my character the way I want to by allocating my own skill points and stats. Not this linear character path crap.
http://www.diablofans.com/topic/35912-diablo-3-beta-elective-mode/

Problem solved.

How does elective mode have anything at all to do with what the OP is saying? Nothing. It's nothing more than the ability to...you know, put your skills on the hotbar the way you can in every single other game ever created with hotbars.

Problem solved.

How does elective mode have anything at all to do with what the OP is saying? Nothing. It's nothing more than the ability to...you know, put your skills on the hotbar the way you can in every single other game ever created with hotbars.

Exactly
Dont worry you will be bad no matter which way you play.
Then go play D2.

Everybody is complaining about D3 changes, and almost every complaint that I see on these forums is how different it is from d2. How different was D2 from D1? Very. But it was a good game. Just get over it. If you are so intent on allocating points, just use the gem system. 17ish slots at level 60 with gems offering a +58 modifier, gives you like 900 stat points to mess with.

It's a new game, just get on with your life. And while you're at it, read this.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085
04/22/2012 10:12 AMPosted by BlackFire
I'm not talking about modes, I'm talking about there not being any consequences to your actions. I want to build my character the way I want to by allocating my own skill points and stats. Not this linear character path crap.

You're frustrated because you can't gimp your character?? You can make any character you want except for a crappy one, this seems like a good thing to me.
I stopped reading when he said he increased his INT for a barbarian.
04/22/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Chito

You're frustrated because you can't gimp your character?? You can make any character you want except for a crappy one, this seems like a good thing to me.

You are entirely missing the point

Problem solved.

This ^

Read... you can do whatever you want....

The amount of complaining is killing these forums for me. They're worse than the WoW ones.

/sips coffee
just don't change your skills after you select them. consequences made. returns to playing beta
I hated D2. Blizzard was always trying to make me play their way. Was I really wanted to do with my barbarian was make him sit down. Blizzard did not let me. I wanted for him to throw bolts of magic. Blizzard did not let me. I wanted him to run through the walls in each zone, or climb over them. Blizzard did not let me. And depressingly I see this carrying over into d3.