$250 limit is way too small

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
With the current limits, no item can be sold in the RMAH for more than your maximum battle.net balance of $250. Source: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-auction-house-functionality#q18

While the vast majority of people will never pay $250 for anything, it only takes 2 people (who are wealthy enough not to care how much they pay) in the entire Americas Region to get in a bidding war over that "one of a kind" uber-rare item. At this point it simply becomes a matter of who can click the buyout button faster. With a potential player base of millions of people, there will be quite a few who simply don't care if they pay $250 to get something they want.

Conversely, the Gold Auction House maximum sale price is a whopping 100,000,000,000 gold. Since gold can be sold in the RMAH, this introduces a conversion method to the scene, albeit with a 15% bite added to it.

So consider the following scenario: Let's assume that the current rate of gold is $1 for 50,000 gold. That means $250 will buy a person 12.5 million gold. If you can sell your uber-rare legendary for more than around 14,375,000 gold (around 15% extra is needed to balance the conversion, and thus match the real money profit), it would make more sense to use the Gold Auction House to sell your item, and then sell the gold in the RMAH which could ultimately reap you more than $250. It is already established that the Gold Auction House's limits are far greater than 14 million.

I admit there are two big unknown variables here, one is the market value of gold and the other is how much gold can a player gather in the average campaign, minus repairs, training, and crafting. However I am sure there are a lot of people out there who will happily empty their gold stash for that one-of-a-kind legendary.

Hmmmm..

In retrospect, it may be easier to simply do away with items in the RMAH, and only have a Gold Market for real money, and let the business of auctioning be conducted with gold.
qft
Too long, didn't NEED to read...dude there are literally 50 other threads on this. Stop.
I think people will only use RMAH if it rivals real life wages in some way, if not, before you quit sell everything for a combined say $300.

I don't think I would be farming for RMAH purposes if all I could get per hour was $1.
Several MILLION users will own Diablo 3, that means MASSIVE undercutting WILL happen.

Good luck getting over $250 for a single item in that enviroment.
Easy way to get around this:

Step 1: Sell an item for in-game gold.

Step 2: Sell in-game gold received from the proceeds of the sale in clumps over time for more than a total of $250.
Additionally, this model allows blizzard to make more money off of really expensive items. They are essentially immune from the $1 flat fee and Blizzard takes their 15% cut when converted to gold.
Gee maybe Blizzard doesn't want people to spend their entire life savings on one in game item? Bastards

Step 2: Sell in-game gold received from the proceeds of the sale in clumps over time for more than a total of $250.

So you get nailed double with fees?

You know this was the main idea of OP's original thread lol
Bashiok already posted on twitter saying that "Bids" will be able to bring these auctions ABOVE $250 dollars.

But you cannot START the auction at more than $250 dollars.

What is the problem ?

Bashiok corrected that statement later on
Several MILLION users will own Diablo 3, that means MASSIVE undercutting WILL happen.

Hi. Did you ever play Diablo 2, when millions of other people also had it?

Items sold for way more than $250, regularly. You're wrong.
05/02/2012 02:28 PMPosted by TheKR
Too long, didn't NEED to read...dude there are literally 50 other threads on this. Stop.

Until it sinks in to Blizzard - no.

Hi. Did you ever play Diablo 2, when millions of other people also had it?

Items sold for way more than $250, regularly. You're wrong.

And did Diablo 2 have an IN GAME INTERFACE TO SUPPORT THAT?

Deeeeeeeeeerrrrrrp.

Try to not be retarded next time, mmmmk?
So, an item worth $1000 drops. Now you have to keep it for yourself, turn it into gold, or sell it on a 3rd party. I don't see the problem. I only see Blizzard covering their own asses legally.
05/02/2012 03:52 PMPosted by Edicted
So, an item worth $1000 drops. Now you have to keep it for yourself, turn it into gold, or sell it on a 3rd party. I don't see the problem. I only see Blizzard covering their own asses legally.

Pretty much this, IF that is the reason why they are doing it. They haven't officially said the reason behind the limit. At least last I heard they didn't.