Is it just me or...

Monk
so I was playing the beta when it first came out at a friends house, and this past weekend when it was free.

I always loved barbarian, and leveled one to 13 as well as a monk...

does anyone else feel that the monk is a paladin knock off from D2? I mean, the martial arts and energy they have is nice, but I feel like they shouldn't have healing or buffing abilities, just more damage. I for one was excited to see their attacks and "combos" until I saw that most of their abilities are not pure damage, but debuffs/buffs. =(

I guess the barbarian will be the pure melee damage dealer in D3 until D3 LoD comes out and the druid becomes available.
I kinda see what you're saying. I just don't see why it's a bad thing?

Should we get rid of the witch doctor's pets so he doesn't feel like a necromancer? Should we get rid of the wizard's meteor, blizzard, teleport, hydra, ect. to differentiate him from the sorceress?

If you decide to roll a monk I think you'll be happy he has all those utility abilities because they'll begin to shine in later acts and harder difficulties.
The healing and buffing is going to make the monk a powerhouse in the later acts, pure damage doesn't keep you alive very long.
04/27/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Dmillz
The healing and buffing is going to make the monk a powerhouse in the later acts, pure damage doesn't keep you alive very long.

I guess I was just thinking of another way for the monk to function. It just seems like the monk can't handle mass amounts of enemies. Once Hell Cows is open they will probably just be a buff bot and otherwise useless. At least, that is what I foresee.

Also, remember in D2 there was no reason for healers since life leach was the bread and butter. It'll be the same in this game for sure.

Make a paladin class to buff people, mantras doesn't seem very "martial arty."
04/28/2012 05:26 AMPosted by Rukar

I guess I was just thinking of another way for the monk to function. It just seems like the monk can't handle mass amounts of enemies. Once Hell Cows is open they will probably just be a buff bot and otherwise useless. At least, that is what I foresee.

Um...the monk felt much stronger against groups than the barb, at least when I play them.

Crippling wave is amazing in groups, as is FoT/Thunderclap. Vulture Claw Kick is also insanely good. Even WoL is great if you drop it on a group.
I guess the knock back of that vulture kick annoyed me. I would use crippling wave and then vulture kick afterwards, then have to dashing strike to get to that target. I guess I would like to have more of a "shadowstep" ability or something...idk. Just feels odd. I just pray that the Way of Hundred fists has an energy explosion for the last hit (in the video i cannot tell if the energy explosion is part of the wothf or not).

I guess my concerns are just here due to not knowing what the class will really be like. May 15th really needs to get here!
WotHF is a single punch, followed by 7 quick punches and then a big, explosive punch at the end. All steps do 140% weapon dmg.

With windforce the last hit will do 250% weapon damage, which is a huge nuke.

If you get good with the combos you can do FoT->FoT->WotHF and drop that bomb consistently
04/28/2012 08:43 AMPosted by ComplexPants
If you get good with the combos you can do FoT->FoT->WotHF and drop that bomb consistently

How can you do FoT and WotHF at the same time? I thought you could only have 1 left click move equipped at a time?

Also, remember in D2 there was no reason for healers since life leach was the bread and butter. It'll be the same in this game for sure.

Make a paladin class to buff people, mantras doesn't seem very "martial arty."

The devs said that Life leech was going to be massively nerfed in inferno difficulty, seemingly to AVOID that.

As far as the monk being the Paladin: Absolutely NOT. While The monk DOES have mantras, that's about where the similiarity ends. The Monk is a very Fast, agile warrior, more akin to the assassin.
04/28/2012 12:12 PMPosted by aleksandor
As far as the monk being the Paladin: Absolutely NOT. While The monk DOES have mantras, that's about where the similiarity ends. The Monk is a very Fast, agile warrior, more akin to the assassin.

I hope so. I was set in stone on Maining a barb, but looks like I'll make a monk first. I just hope it doesn't feel like I'm all support and not damage. Because in the beta it felt like everything was dead before I could get to it.
so I was playing the beta when it first came out at a friends house, and this past weekend when it was free.

I always loved barbarian, and leveled one to 13 as well as a monk...

does anyone else feel that the monk is a paladin knock off from D2? I mean, the martial arts and energy they have is nice, but I feel like they shouldn't have healing or buffing abilities, just more damage. I for one was excited to see their attacks and "combos" until I saw that most of their abilities are not pure damage, but debuffs/buffs. =(

I guess the barbarian will be the pure melee damage dealer in D3 until D3 LoD comes out and the druid becomes available.

All of the classes in D3 are just revamped versions (or combinations) of those from D2. I didn't think that it was some grand revelation that the Monk was the new Paladin. Despite Blizzard's claims, these are not really "new" classes as much as altered. The Monk is like a mix between the Assassin and Paladin while the Demon Hunter is an Amazon with a tiny bit of Assassin. The Witch Doctor is just a poor man's Necromancer though.

Hmm, let's see:

1. Heals
2. Auras
3. Charge
4. Holy Damage
5. Spirit generators that act very similarly to Zeal
6. WoL turns into Fist of the Heavens with a rune

It has some very obvious Assassin similarities as well, but to say that mantras are the only thing it has in common with a Paladin is silly.

04/28/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Rukar

I hope so. I was set in stone on Maining a barb, but looks like I'll make a monk first. I just hope it doesn't feel like I'm all support and not damage. Because in the beta it felt like everything was dead before I could get to it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Barbarians are the only comparable class. They have abilities that allow for much larger "burst" damage, but much of it comes from long coodlowns. Just an assumption, but I wouldn't doubt that both of them would end up doing right around the same amount of damage across a dungeon clear. The difference is that the Monk will be consistent.
04/28/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Rukar
How can you do FoT and WotHF at the same time? I thought you could only have 1 left click move equipped at a time?

#electivemodevictim
04/28/2012 01:08 PMPosted by blitzkrieg
#electivemodevictim

?
#electivemodevictim

?

Its a very common issue: a "hidden" toggle in the options menu that allows you to put whatever skills you want in whatever slot you want. Toggling elective mode means you can put two generators on your mouse, or deviate from the intended set up Blizz has you start out with.

The victim part is that, sadly, sooooo many people didn't know this was there.

edit: fixard my grammard
04/28/2012 03:36 PMPosted by Tibster

?

Its a very common issue: a "hidden" toggle in the options menu that allows you to put whatever skills you want in whatever slot you want. Toggling elective mode means you can put two generators on your mouse, or deviate from the intended set up Blizz has you start out with.

The victim part is that, sadly, sooooo many people didn't know this was there.

edit: fixard my grammard

HOLY !@#$BALLZ! Yeah, I just did that in the talent calc...wow. I feel cheated lol. That really sux I didn't get to try out some sweet combos =((.
04/28/2012 03:59 PMPosted by Rukar
HOLY !@#$BALLZ! Yeah, I just did that in the talent calc...wow. I feel cheated lol. That really sux I didn't get to try out some sweet combos =((.

The good news is when the 15th comes around, you'll already be a step ahead of most folks who don't jump into the options menu before they start the game. There will be a ton of posts on the forums about this on the 16th. Unless Blizz fixes this. :)
I really can't wait until the 15th =(. I pre ordered the CE so apparently you get an in game tyreal wing !@#$... hope it's badass.
Hehe, yeah, you and everyone else, brother. I'm also looking forward to the CE only dyes that we'll get. All the rest of the goodies in the CE are awesome too.