Witch Doctor Movement Skill

General Discussion
As annoying as it sounds it sounds I doubt the skills team ever sat down and complained that WD does nt have a skill to keep up with the other characters. I've heard Jay say a few times that they are fine with compromises that slow down the pacig of the game a bit instead of making it a mad dash that is always ends up being anyways.

i think you are overestimating this

I think you are underestamating this as it was already a problem in beta, As the guy above you said , The Barb jumps forward engaging the fight as you walk slowly up to the battle by the time you get there 50+% of the fight is already over, And it will get worse as the other classes get there skills such as Wizard Teleport , Demon hunter Vault , Monk Dashing Strike , The witch doctor needs a move that can be used to move and keep up with his allies.

If you are worried about 'travel' speed. Don't be. The scenario where the barb is leaping into battle far and ahead won't happen past normal difficulty. Blizzard already made a comment about people splitting up in co-op games wouldn't be possible in later difficulties and those that ran off would die.

If you are worried more about quick escape movements then yea WD has less mechanics speed wise but has more versatility than all the other classes with cc and snares.
My issue is that, when playing with friends, in particular just a 2 player game teamed up with a barb, at the start of engagements he'll leap across the screen and start fighting. I'm stuck moving at a normal pace, and by the time I get in range, everything will be dead or nearly so.

I know I still get xp and loot from these monsters, but I want to feel like I'm contributing as often as possible.

This sums up what I experienced quite well.
04/29/2012 06:56 AMPosted by Specter
Im not talking about for taking on mobs , im talking about for keeping up with your party members who are zipping across the map mob to mob , the witchdocter is going to be lagging behind and thus miss out on alot of the fights and the fun

Just because there are a lot of movement abilities available doesn't mean everyone will have them, or that they'll use them out of combat. A demon hunter who constantly vaults will be out of discipline when the fighting starts, and I'm guessing that most wizards won't have teleport.
04/29/2012 09:09 AMPosted by Sanzul
Im not talking about for taking on mobs , im talking about for keeping up with your party members who are zipping across the map mob to mob , the witchdocter is going to be lagging behind and thus miss out on alot of the fights and the fun

Just because there are a lot of movement abilities available doesn't mean everyone will have them, or that they'll use them out of combat. A demon hunter who constantly vaults will be out of discipline when the fighting starts, and I'm guessing that most wizards won't have teleport.

In my experience, granted just the beta, every class that had a "jump" ability used it.

And my post-22 wizard build includes teleport. My barb build uses leap, my monk build uses dashing strike.
the game isnt even out yet, please dont start calling for blizzard to homogenize the classes already
Just like others said, the game is out out yet, and i'm sure blizzard has all the classes be as they should. Monsters will be harder to kill in later difficulties, thus it would make sense for a melee barb to be out in front while you spam spell/crowd control. Blizzard has also stated that in later difficulties, if you venture out by yourself, chances are you will die. Therefore, having having your party stay close together is vital, although being 2-3 seconds behind the main pack of friends doesn't seen too bad.

I predict that this will be an insignificant issue in the first act, as well as with random people. If you are playing with friends you know, they should be courteous enough to wait for you if being out of combat for 3 seconds bugs you.

Edit: Spelling + I LOVE the WD and played him over 120hours in beta, Yes, everyone was ahead of me, but by only 2 seconds, if that. Again, i don't think this will be a huge issue at all in later difficulties ;)
04/29/2012 07:47 AMPosted by Heretic
I see no reason for Blizzard to pander to rushers.

This is about the inconvenience caused to non rushers that play a Witch Doctor, not about pandering.
It's true it depends on the players you play with but the majority of the time they'll be miles ahead of you killing everything while you're still running to get a piece of the action, you really have to play with friends to have some sort of participation.
04/29/2012 06:59 AMPosted by DinoX

i think you are overestimating this

unlimited vaults lol
OP makes a good point. It's not just about getting to the next monster to kill. Diablo's randomly generated maps constantly mean players are separated looking for the next level. Having a vault/leap/tele etc is a huge quality of life improvement for many players. I'm playing DH just for vault/tumble rune. It gets you to the next pack quicker and greatly lowers the amount of time it takes to find that next level if you cleared to a dead end in the wrong direction. Again - it's not huge or game breaking, it just seems like a silly oversight by blizzard to gimp one of the classes in this small but noticeable way.

I do think a movement speed boost rune for spirit walk would be pretty huge. I'm sure they don't want to add new skills at this point, but I'd love to see some kind of summon that carries the witch doctor a short distance, since he already has to get into melee range to get his stacks. Maybe he could ride a zombie charger for 20-30 yards on a 10-20 sec cooldown, which kind of fits the doc's already somewhat goofy spells. Anyway- I expect to see this patched into the game, just like enigma was added to diablo 2 to equalize movement spells for all classes.
Its not about homogenizing classes so they feel the same etc, its about having them be able to stay as a group easier, And people saying oh most barbs wont use leap most monks wont use dashing strike , From what iv seen people who have there builds set out do use these skills almost 80% of the time, And witch doctor doesnt even have a choice to.

i Feel like Spirit Walk could be the solution but as the description reads for it now , it isnt as it lasts only a very short time , has a cooldown longer then it lasts, and doesnt increase your speed at all.
Teleport then banner is fast enough if needed. Keep boots with run speed.

I think you are underestamating this as it was already a problem in beta, As the guy above you said , The Barb jumps forward engaging the fight as you walk slowly up to the battle by the time you get there 50+% of the fight is already over, And it will get worse as the other classes get there skills such as Wizard Teleport , Demon hunter Vault , Monk Dashing Strike , The witch doctor needs a move that can be used to move and keep up with his allies.

If you are worried about 'travel' speed. Don't be. The scenario where the barb is leaping into battle far and ahead won't happen past normal difficulty. Blizzard already made a comment about people splitting up in co-op games wouldn't be possible in later difficulties and those that ran off would die.

If you are worried more about quick escape movements then yea WD has less mechanics speed wise but has more versatility than all the other classes with cc and snares.

It's as if people that post fail to read other posts that answer their question. Here is a quote that explains why you shouldn't be worried about this issue from the beta.
Basing things off beta isnt what im doing but basing it off of people who are using the calculators to make there builds ahead of time, Almost all of them use the moves such as Vault leap teleport and dashing strike.
04/29/2012 06:56 AMPosted by Specter
well they got impairing skills for movement, which in turn is almost the same as buffing your own speed

players will only race through levels on normal, anything more then that they are going to walk into their death.