BattleTag Update and Diablo III Reminder

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 35 Next
Will the BattleTag be replacing the Starcraft II ID at some point ?
I have a question. My Battletag right now is Forge#1380. I received this when they first introduced the Battle Tag system a few months back. A little while ago, they offered a free Battle Tag change. So you HAVE to have a Battle Tag in order to play Diablo 3, but my question is, do I HAVE to use my "free change" that they gave everyone? Or can I just keep the one I have now? Will I be able to play Diablo3 with my current Battle Tag?
05/07/2012 03:03 PMPosted by Omega
I'd like to mention that some people changed their BattleTag during the Open Beta in order to fix the log-in issue that was happening. Can we expect the possibility to change the BattleTag somewhere around the release or later?

changing password also fixed that issue. battletag was overkill :\

It was too late when I noticed that sadly. .-.
05/07/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Jhessod
Will there be a character specific or Diablo III specific friendslist as well, or is BattleTag the only way to add friends in Diablo III?

There will only be two levels of friendships in Diablo III when the game launches: Real ID friends and BattleTag friends. Character-level friendships like you have in World of Warcraft won't exist in Diablo III, so if you want to add another player as a friend, you'll need to add them as a BattleTag friend or a Real ID friend.

05/07/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Jhessod
Will it be possible to see only "Barbaros, Level 6 Barbarian, in a Public Game?"

Not really? While you'll be able to see your own character name (and while there will be situations when other players can see your character's name, too), your BattleTag nickname will be your primary form of identification. It's what players will see both in Public Games and most prominently in the friends list.

Hope that answers your questions!
im sure its just a small bit of confusing text there but you really mean

"We'll be adding in the ability to send BattleTag friend requests in StarCraft II and World of Warcraft in the future."

right?

Nope! The original sentence is correct. Currently, you can only create BattleTag friendships while logged into Diablo III. This includes both sending requests and accepting them.

In the future, we'll be opening up the ability for players to send and accept BattleTag requests in StarCraft II and World of Warcraft. When that functionality is added, we'll be sure to provide more information on how the whole process will work, including what things will look like from the UI side and how BattleTag will integrate into Real ID and other existing chat systems.
05/07/2012 05:03 PMPosted by Lylirra
Will it be possible to see only "Barbaros, Level 6 Barbarian, in a Public Game?"

Not really? While you'll be able to see your own character name (and while there will be situations when other players can see your character's name, too), your BattleTag nickname will be your primary form of identification. It's what players will see both in Public Games and most prominently in the friends list.

What's the point of naming my characters if all everyone's gonna see in public games is "Thane"? I wanted my barbarian to be named Crunk and everyone else I meet to see me as Crunk. I kind of want Crunk to be my main form of identification when I'm playing my barbarian.

I feel like the Battletag System is ruining any form of character identity, as I'll be seen as "Thane" no matter what class/gender my characters are. What's even the point of naming characters then?

Please tell me that I'm overreacting and that I'm completely wrong.
05/07/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Forge
So you HAVE to have a Battle Tag in order to play Diablo 3, but my question is, do I HAVE to use my "free change" that they gave everyone?

Nope! The name change is completely optional. It's there for you if you need it.

Or can I just keep the one I have now?

Yup!

Will I be able to play Diablo3 with my current Battle Tag?

Absolutely!
I know it has already been requested by many people- but it would certainly make me happy if we got another opporunity to change our battletag for free before release day!
Can I go ahead and add friends in the D3 Beta who will still be on my friend's list come release?
Question.

How many characters will be shown in game, i feel that should be a large influence on what battletags people will choose. For instance, if you were in a party, how many character letters will be shown in the top left. Also if you were in pvp, how many character letters will there be above head and in the title?

Cause it feels stupid having only 10 of 12 characters shown in game.
Yeah... the virtual fistfights that would break out over folks who got Whatevername#1337 would be epic. I guess they'd like to avoid folks being particularly attached to the numeric portion of the tag.
Fantastic, thank you Lylirra!
05/07/2012 06:12 PMPosted by Valheru
Can I go ahead and add friends in the D3 Beta who will still be on my friend's list come release?

Well, any friends you *did* add during D3 beta are still on your friends list. But you'll have to wait for D3 release to add any more, since beta is over.

Really? Didn't Bashiok (or was it Zarhym?) say in that thread where everyone was complaining about their character names not showing and you having to use your "Battletag" instead that "Your feedback has been heard and I am proud to announce that your character names will show and battletag will only be your form of adding someone as a friend" or something to that effect. Here I was happy they changed it to that but now it's just an empty promise :(

You've been heard! There's a clean up pass coming for BattleTag in the near-ish future that should resolve most of the issues with a BattleTag being displayed instead of a character name, or a character name not being displayed at all. I think it may also line up with some fixes for BattleTags here on the forums. Although I'll still think of you all as my little D3BETA's... *sniff*

BattleTag is still intended to be your big overarching account-wide identifier that will follow you from Blizzard game to Blizzard game, but individual character identity is still obviously very important.
There's the quote

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4175360512?page=2#40
i created a battletag during D3 beta, do i need to recreate mine when the game launches?

Really? Didn't Bashiok (or was it Zarhym?) say in that thread where everyone was complaining about their character names not showing and you having to use your "Battletag" instead that "Your feedback has been heard and I am proud to announce that your character names will show and battletag will only be your form of adding someone as a friend" or something to that effect. Here I was happy they changed it to that but now it's just an empty promise :(

You've been heard! There's a clean up pass coming for BattleTag in the near-ish future that should resolve most of the issues with a BattleTag being displayed instead of a character name, or a character name not being displayed at all. I think it may also line up with some fixes for BattleTags here on the forums. Although I'll still think of you all as my little D3BETA's... *sniff*

BattleTag is still intended to be your big overarching account-wide identifier that will follow you from Blizzard game to Blizzard game, but individual character identity is still obviously very important.
There's the quote

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4175360512?page=2#40

This is what I thought, too. No, Thane, you're not overreacting. Many, many people do NOT want the Battletag to be showing up in game as if that were our primary identity. It's an account-wide identifier, yes, fine, I get that.

But when I am in a public game, I most definitely want to be known by my character name, NOT my battletag. The system can keep track of the battletags of the people you played with, as it does now, so you can find and friend them later, if you want.

But when I am in the game, I don't want to see the battletags underneath the portraits of the characters. That is just inane and very wrong.

I think Lylirra meant that when you look in your friends list, you will not be able to see just the person's character name there. It has to show their battletag along with it. This is probably because, remember, the character names are not unique to your account. There may be many, many Barbarian characters named "Crunk." If that was all that showed, no one would be able to distinguish them without the battletag.

But displaying those ugly battletags in the game while playing is another story. That's what was done in the beta, and what upset so many of us.

Lylirra? Can you clear this up, please?
Bashiok stated our character names would be shown. WTF is the point of naming your toon if NO ONE ever sees it? Frikin ridiculous if the game launches this way. Makes me pretty upset that we are TOLD one thing, then someone different 3 weeks later says the OPPOSITE. So who is right and who is wrong?
I'm extremely disappointed to hear our BattleTags will be shown. I feel like this completely defeats the purpose of even naming your characters because they will rarely be seen.

I'm hating this new Battle.Net stuff more and more everyday.