Am I the only one who remembers WoW launch?

General Discussion
I'm Twenty-Three. But I dont think anyone could anticipate the amount of players wanting to log in at a single time.

I'm honestly willing to guess that the number of people playing is in the millions.

That's not true at all, I'm sure they had a pretty good idea based on how many people took the deal with the WoW agreement and how many preorders they had. Most people want to try a new game as soon as they get it so. You could be safe to assume almost every person who could would be on, I suppose Blizzard couldn't figure this out tho. I expected this kind of BS from Blizzard so I'm glad I didn't take these days off :)

I personally know 15 people IRL who got the game, and 12 of them stayed up til 3am(we are east coasters) to play the game.

We live in a rinky dink no name town in the middle of no where. If we stayed up I know there are tons and tons of people around the US who did as well.
"Their last game launch was terrible, so it's OK that this one is terrible too!"

Naw, doesn't work for me. The idea is to improve with time.
Blizzard makes about $1,503,000,000 (10.2 million subs as of Dec 2011) a month from World of Warcraft alone! No excuse Blizzard, none!
You cattle out there may be fine with crappy customer service but I have never been. I've taken my right to be treated properly as a paying customer as seriously as the business is about making money.
Businesses love customers who just bend over and let them have their way with them. "Oh, it's expected for them to not do their job properly the first time". Seriously? If you have this mentality that it's ok for you to not have the experience that you paid for then you need to check your rear end, it's leaking..
05/15/2012 11:54 AMPosted by TipTheScales
League of Legends is more popular

Accounts made is not registered players. I have about 7 accounts on LoL...
I survived that launch.... I remember crawling out of whatever hole i dug myself into...trying to escape the servers rage, I lost many a good friend and foe those dark days.

Sometimes i cant stop thinking about all those children, poor kids didn't even see it coming.
D2 had a bad launch also. Everybody remember that it was originally built for 3dfx glide. D3D was very unstable with it until about 2 patches later.

Again, by design, why the hell do I have to log into a server to play my single player experience? technically I know why...

so they can spam me with pay to play items in the "auction house" hoping to weasel a few more bucks out of me for shiny virtual trinkets.

frankly I do not care about that crap, I just wanna be able to play the single player game I paid 60 bucks to play. I have no desire to join battle net and get into PVP with leet dudes and wow addicts, I just wanna play diablo.

a second question, what exactly is it about blizzard that makes people like you start threads like this and go "You know what, do you remember back when they messed up before? OH WOW that was horrible, this isnt so bad. I am perfectly fine NOT playing the game I paid for"

They never forced you to buy the game, if you are so against the game being an online enabled game, that perhaps you should continue to play Diablo 2. Personally, I only play games that allow me to play online with friends. That is where I have the greatest satisfaction. To each his own, but there is no surprises with it being battle.net enabled. They did the same thing with SC2.

And also technically i didnt pay for the game, i have the WoW annual, pass, but the world is not going to end today, the game will be ready to play later on, you must have patience.

Listen I realize you may be in special ed and your idea of fun IS waiting on servers to come back up since you obviously play WoW, it gives you an chance to go get more hot pockets and see sunlight for a few hours before its back to the grind, but I do not play that crap. I am an adult, I require satisfaction in my products I buy. When I am not satisfied I go threw a string of channels in order to get satisfaction before I eventually give up and require a refund. This is what used to be called being a savvy consumer. Actually getting your moneys worth of a product and if not, demanding satisfaction. Also back before you and your ilk became the dominate force in products and gaming, companies tried their best to insure that customers were indeed satisfied with products, because they had to.

Also I have another shocker for you, I do not care about nor do I follow Starcraft 2, or any other blizzard product. I only have 1 game I enjoy with this entire company, diablo. Consider me a consumer that does not engage in brand loyalty to your level, nor do I give two !@#$s about the satisfaction of yes men such as yourself vs my own. I have my own complaints that I want satisfied by a company. See above for the reason why.

It IS a shock to me because I did not anticipate it, I wanted a similar single player experience to what I had before, instead I have been handed WoW lite with a cash for gold trading system in place. Shocking, I know, that someone may become pissed at this aspect and demand an explanation.
I actually had no problems with warcraft until it was about a week old, besides login lines.
Well, so far 12 hours in and you can't play this. WoW came out 7.5 years ago, you would think Blizzard would have learned something about launches and server architecture in that time.
My last point.

You couldn't do a better job, so please !@#$ and stop complaining.

If you think you can do better, then by all means make a game just like d3 and sell over 3million copies and have no issues what so ever on the launch day. If so they you can come here and say how horrible Blizzard is.
If the number of people playing is in the millions, then the amount of money Blizzard received from customers is in the millions x $60. The more people who bought the game, the more money Blizzard should have to spend on servers.

Not to mention that their recurring WoW revenue of a couple billion dollars a year should enable them to buy enough servers to deduce the ultimate answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.
I remember WoW launch ... and then the following months ... I remember getting disconnected in my first MC raid and facing a 700+ queue ... talk about frustrating.

SWTOR did a better launch job due to their soft launch, but they did it by spreading people out over umpteen million servers and now they are paying the price with ghost towns.

Would have been better for the game to have queues and over packed servers so that after the rush, we had decent populations on the servers ... instead of what there is now.
My last point.

If you think you can do better, then by all means make a game just like d3 and sell over 3million copies and have no issues what so ever on the launch day. If so they you can come here and say how horrible Blizzard is.

That isn't a proper argument. I can code an extremely poorly done ASCII roguelike, but that doesn't mean it's a good game because you can't do better.

It's a bad launch day. But every launch day in almost any game is, so it's to be expected and will probably be smooth running tonight or tomorrow.
Here's how it works guys...

When a game a released to a MASSIVE audience, it's login and character creation segments get pushed to the max. To really prevent this takes knowledge of roughly how many people are gonna jam the servers at once, engineering time to develop a system that will only be relevant in the first 48 hours (And will take way more time than 48 hours to develop), and the ability to survive a multimillion person DOS attack without triggering all your ISPs red flags.

Now people are gonna say, "But you know how many people are gonna be playing roughly!" And that's not true. It's a Monday night/ Tuesday morning, and an uncertain amount of people are going to just not even gonna try (that had the opportunity to stay up) to login.

I assume we all know how a file system works, but in case you don't, writing new data, and determining it's location takes more time than making mini-updates to already mapped files. On the first day, things get really intense. In the case of Diablo 3, the reward for having multiple characters from the very beginning is very high. This is not so much the case with other online games so it isn't a well known figure that they can develop around.

And for people !@#$%ing that they bought a single player game they can't play... you're wrong. You bought a multiplayer game that has a single player mode. Know the difference. No amount of complaining about how you used to have single player games on your computer in the past changes this fact.

ALSO, if you think you deserve a refund... you haven't been denied the ability to play the game. It's not subscription based, so there is no prorating to be had. If you get to play the game at all, you don't get your money back. Stop being silly.
No joke, WoW's launch was horrifyingly bad for days. What we're going through now pales in comparison.

I can understand people's disappointment, I really can, I just wish people were more patient.
"Their last game launch was terrible, so it's OK that this one is terrible too!"

Naw, doesn't work for me. The idea is to improve with time.

This ^

I ain't complaining or raging about the delay. It is unfortunate but there is not much we can do about it. That being said, a problematic launch is a problematic launch. Trying to justify it because of previous failures is not really the most persuasive argument to get people to stop complaining.
05/15/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Mikey
Yes but wow was an online game! this is a single player game where you can play with a few friends at a time. totally different.

I truly hope you understand the hypocrisy of calling the game 'single player' as you then clearly talk about playing with other people. Just saying.

I got WoW in the second shipment so I missed all the launch madness. To be honest, WoW always had problems. We just rolled with the punches and waiting until it was worked out. Just like most of us are doing now.
My last point.

The last retreat of the child "YOU CANT DO BETTER SO SHUT UP"

I cant build a bridge, but you can be damn sure I would be upset if one collapsed while I was driving across it. Does that mean I should become a bridge builder just to insure every bridge I come across wont collapse?

We as a society, have expectations of those who take skills and jobs, that expectation is that a quality product will be produced so we all do not have to be jack of all trades and do everything ourselves. If you put out a piss poor product and thats the best you can do, you should resign from your occupation and try a different one.

again yes men like you seem to lack basic understanding of everything around them, you demonstrate brand loyalty beyond just gobbling up every product that is created, you go so far as to defend poor products and poor design as if your namesake is tied directly to the company itself. What the hell has created people like you? Did blizzard birth you itself? Did blizzard raise you?