Screen Turns Black and alt tabs me out.

Technical Support
Prev 1 30 31 32 38 Next
wierd , but from yesterday this problem gone , maybe because i set 50 fps ?
Okay... now this problem is really starting to get to me.. I find a workaround that works for a couple days, then the problem comes back.. C'mon Blizzard. Despite all the faults of this game, I do enjoy it, and want to play it.
Game either freezes at launch (black screen, or grey screen with background music) or after resuming. Either way, I can't even get into the game now. Do something, Blizzard!
here is the crappy response I got to my ticket.

Whimso
Customer Service Representative

Greetings!

Thank-you for taking the time to petition Blizzard Entertainment Customer Support.

We understand how valuable your time is and how important your concern is however we feel your question can be quickly addressed if you view our knowledge base which has your specific issues listed in detail or the forums which is also loaded with valuable information which can be located at: <http://us.battle.net/support/en/games/diablo3/gameplay-support>

Have a good day and happy gaming!

Blizzard Entertainment Support
Damn diablo3 !!! My computer was spoilt because of this ISSUE!!!!!!
Don't try to restart over and over again!!! It will spoilt your computer!!!!
@star wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong...

temps are all running normal have been since the problem came up, it is 100% a software fault somewhere.
Ok. I found out the reason for my issues.

In the Nvidia control panel go to Manage 3D settings. Make sure that the following is set to the right option under the global settings tab and Diablo 3 under the Program Settings tab.

Make sure that "power management mode" is set to Adaptive and;
Multi Display/Mixed gpu acceleration is set to "Multiple Display performance"

I believe power management mode is the main culprit though.

No idea how that got changed from default. Possibly an update to the nvidia profiles? unsure. Any ways. this seems to fix the misplaced textures/black screens/crashes to desktop, nvidia driver restarts etc. Sorry for blaming the patch and I hope this info helps other people.
Ok. I found out the reason for my issues.

In the Nvidia control panel go to Manage 3D settings. Make sure that the following is set to the right option under the global settings tab and Diablo 3 under the Program Settings tab.

Make sure that "power management mode" is set to Adaptive and;
Multi Display/Mixed gpu acceleration is set to "Multiple Display performance"

I believe power management mode is the main culprit though.

No idea how that got changed from default. Possibly an update to the nvidia profiles? unsure. Any ways. this seems to fix the misplaced textures/black screens/crashes to desktop, nvidia driver restarts etc. Sorry for blaming the patch and I hope this info helps other people.

is this for mac or pc only?
Five12: I'm running Windows 7 64bit but the Nvidia control panel is a part of the default driver package for all versions of windows. unsure if mac has those particular settings.

Also it seems if I enable super sampling for Diablo 3, I get black characters. it seems it's best to leave a lot of those settings on application controlled or default.
same problem again ... played few hours - no problems , after - problem problem problem ...
for people who saying its overheating problem - open you eyes ... all soft is working , other games are working , problem in diablo
honestly m i had more problems to make "motorola sm56k pci modem" work in linux about 12 years ago than play diablo 3 on my pc now ....
Update: Crashing every couple of hours. Really annoying when you are discovering the full map of an area and you are getting close to finishing it and then boom...CTD.

Blizzard...come on with the communication.
It's a diablo 3 problem, something with the latest patch no doubt....what did you do? I can't play the game anymore.
The game is simply unplayable.
Blackscreens every 40mins means stacking up nephalem is totally worthless.
My pc is perfect. All temp are fine, no bg programs, no a-virus, nothing.
i5 2500k, MSI 580gtx TwinFrozr. All games are working except D3, of course.

31 (THIRTYONE) pages and not a swet, not even an apology.

They just don't care, this is a joke.
Guess I will chime in here as well.

I have a GFORCE 9800 GTX plus. Played all sort of games, never had any issues until I tried Diablo 3. Now I get the following

Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 6/10/2012 10:33:46 AM
Event ID: 4101
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event" >
<System>
<Provider Name="Display" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">4101</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-06-10T17:33:46.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>37992</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer></Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>nvlddmkm</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

And it is very random while play. And it ONLY happens while playing D3.
I have wiped and installed fresh Win7 64-bit, updates, Driver and only D3, same things.
Sometimes the game will play fine for 10-30 minutes, sometimes it will throw this Warning 2-5 times in a span of 10-30 minutes.

The game runs just fine short of this issue. The game will stop, screen flash black, then back to the game and the event will be posted. Some times it will alt+tab out and if I wait will go back into the game.

This has been happening from Beta and since. I have tried playing around with the graphic settings, turning all low, all high, mixture, and just when you think it is ok, 30-45 minutes into the game, it does it again!

I have read this with ATI and nVidia cards. Bought an ATI R6770 card and no issues with D3. That card though sometimes there is that pause like it will happen but it just goes back to playing.
So I have ordered a nVidia Gforce 570 and I will see if that helps at all.
Glad to see this is a sticky post and B is working on it.

I used to use OMEGA Drivers and never had any issues with those, but unfortunately he was unable to continue that project. Should hire him to do some troubleshooting ^_^

The 3d Card never gets all that hot, like I said it can happen right when I start play 10 min in, or 30-45 minutes later, never in the same spot on the game.

nVidia Driver: 301.42
nForce Drivers: 15.57
Windows 7 64-bit

But I will be another blip on this errors radar and hope something gets fixed soon.
If anyone needs any more information from me, let me know.

Thanks!
Five12: I'm running Windows 7 64bit but the Nvidia control panel is a part of the default driver package for all versions of windows. unsure if mac has those particular settings.

Also it seems if I enable super sampling for Diablo 3, I get black characters. it seems it's best to leave a lot of those settings on application controlled or default.

i click play and i will get a black screen with my curser only. i will have music playing and i can hear it but all i can do is move the curser. i am bummed because i spent 60 dollars on the game and 40 on software to play it. im also worried that my computer will crash from trying over and over again. i have tried litterally everything stated in this thread and many others.

I guess it is just out of our hands at this point
I can't play the damn game 'cos every time I 'try' to play, it crashes within 5 minutes. All other games and programs are running fine, there's nothing wrong with my PC - Diablo 3 has just been running like crap since patch 1.0.2b and is now causing erratic FPS, black-screen, BSOD and just general crashes and nonsense. ONLY D3.

Please fix this, I want to play.
this has been happening to me ever since patch 1.02B went live. the screen freezes, then veritical lines appear over the screen and then goes black, then either windows 7 comes back and displays a video driver kernel problem icon popping up and saying it restored itself OR my computer completely shuts down (BSOD).

i'm really getting tired of these BSOD especially when playing diablo 3. my cpu temps and gpu temps are FINE. i may just give up playing D3 until they fix this. i feel like my OS drive will become corrupted if this happens way too often. please fix this blizzard.

pc spec
-windows 7 ultimate x64
-i5-2550k @ 4.5GHz (100% stable. I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT)
-8GB DDR3-1600 RAM 1.5v
-EVGA GTX570HD (latest driver and previous driver before that keeps failing when playing D3)