Framerate issues clearly Blizzards software

Mac Technical Support
I have 9400m late 2009 macbook. I bought this game under assumption it would play this game. I get 10-15fps. Its basically unplayable.

I am not tech savvy at all and have no idea what bootcamp is or how to install windows on my macbook. What am I supposed to do?
I get solid 30 fps on default settings with my iMac.
If you want to game, get a PC. PC's have always been designed around gaming performance. Mac's were never built around Gaming. That's why PC's won the war between the two several years ago. Granted mac is starting to make a comeback, PC is still, and for the foreseeable future, is the better machine for gaming. Period. Macs are good for certain things, Linux machines are good for certain things, and Windows Machines are great for gaming. This is why I have all three. Fedora for when I am writing Programs, Mac for when I am video editing/audio editing, or when I am recording new songs, and when I just want to play some damn games, I run my windows 7 ultimate x64 machine.
05/17/2012 07:39 AMPosted by m0nk3y
If you want to game, get a PC. PC's have always been designed around gaming performance. Mac's were never built around Gaming. That's why PC's won the war between the two several years ago. Granted mac is starting to make a comeback, PC is still, and for the foreseeable future, is the better machine for gaming. Period. Macs are good for certain things, Linux machines are good for certain things, and Windows Machines are great for gaming. This is why I have all three. Fedora for when I am writing Programs, Mac for when I am video editing/audio editing, or when I am recording new songs, and when I just want to play some damn games, I run my windows 7 ultimate x64 machine.

One of the more ignorant comments I've read. PC's didn't win the war because they were better at gaming (lol). If anything, they were better at gaming because they won the war and more people used them. You got your chicken and your egg confused. Anyway, your comment is completely irrelevant because this is the Mac technical support forum, and people are understandably interested in getting the Mac version of the game they purchased to run correctly. Go troll somewhere else.
This thread shouldn't be about whether gaming on Mac or PC is better, the fact is that blizzard makes their products for mac, and so people expect them to perform.

Personally, I think it is something in the game implementation that is not gelling with the 9400m. I'm running a white 2009 Macbook with 8gb ram and Core 2 Duo and I've run much more intensive games than Diablo 3 at low settings with much better results. I've also spent quite a bit of time during the beta and since launch fooling around with settings in game and they don't seem to have an appreciable impact on performance. I can raise the detail and resolution with no negative consequences, the thing just continues to chug along at a crappy 15-25 fps. Similarly, cranking everything way down gives me no improvements. It really seems like a bug and I'm hoping there will be a fix in the pipeline, otherwise I'm going to have to go through the hassle of setting up bootcamp.
05/16/2012 07:29 PMPosted by Above
1.) OpenGL vs. DirectX. OpenGL is just that... OPEN. It is an open source graphic rending language which mac's use to render 3d games. The problem is here that it is not optimized for performance, not updated as regularly (in terms of new GFX card support), and overall just lacks in all categories of performance when compared to DirectX.

I'm sorry, but that is just not correct. You have the open part right, but everything else is misinformed. OpenGL is less platform dependent than DirectX. This makes it more flexible and optimized while staying consistent. OpenGL is on par with, and sometimes better than DirectX in certain implementations. It also gets updated and scrutinized by more people that can effect changes faster than a software corporation can. I challenge you to go on youtube and look up some DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4 videos and explain to me what differences you discover in performance and presentation. Here is one you may enjoy:

http://youtu.be/HC3JGG6xHN8

To say one is far more superior than another without the proper information is comparing apples to oranges.
I was bored and playing around, not buying into Blizzards excuse that it's our fault, or that our hardware is terrible and perhaps the 9400m GT just can't run the game.

Fact 1: This game runs fine in Bootcamp, running the same hardware.

Fact 2: Every Mac user gets low frame rates, between 12-25.

Fact 3: It runs perfectly in a VIRTUALIZED Windows 7 environment, yes that's right.

I got bored and tired of 12 FPS at 800x600 on the lowest settings so I took my 2008 Unibody MBP with the following specs.

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.32f8

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0863
    Revision ID: 0x00b1
    ROM Revision: 3385
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
    Boot Volume: Home
    Boot Mode: Normal

And since I already run Parallels for certain windows applications I threw Diablo 3 on there. Running in a Virtualized Windows 7 Environment, basically Windows 7 running on top of OSX, I consistently get 40 FPS outdoors and up to 90 in a house at minimum settings, and remains playable with most settings on high at 1280x800 as long as AA remains off.

Long story short, Blizzard made a terrible Mac clinet and is blaming hardware and telling us Mac users we just need to reset our settings or simple fixes like that. If it runs that much better in a Virtualized OS then there is actually a real problem here.

I'd also like to recommend if you want to avoid the bootcamp hassle just pick up Parallels Desktop, it's a real life saver when a AAA software publisher can't write Mac software.

Hey, thanks for the tip!

I just have two questions for you, since I have the same computer and the same horrible lag.

1. What settings/ram-allocation do you use on your Parallels system? I just installed windows 7 on mine and it actually lags exactly the same. I would be very thankful if you could give me some tips/important pointers.

2. For some reason my Diablo 3 on the Parallels version stopped working. The launcher starts, the Diablo 3 "head" comes up on the screen and then.... Nothing.. Seems like a typical Windows problem: Something works and then stops working...
It's weird because diablo3.exe is running in the Processes list though.

I merely ask since you seem to have solved the problem I've been tampering with the last few days..

Cheers!
Hi gentlemen !

I'm sorry to tell you that blizzard won't do anything and won't fix the problem... In fact, i read on BT forums that many Mac users have a similar issue in Starcraft 2 and are still waiting for a patch (the game was released 2 years ago...). The beta was very smooth on my MBP... And now I have to play in very low resolution and in 800*600. You need to accept it, they don't care about us because we bought the game so we phukked...

Sorry to tell you that....they just say they're seeking how to resolve it for commercial purpose only so that we won't spread the rumor and it won't affect the sells
I was bored and playing around, not buying into Blizzards excuse that it's our fault, or that our hardware is terrible and perhaps the 9400m GT just can't run the game.

(...)

I confirm that.

I was running on OS X (macbook pro 6,2) and getting only around 20 fps, with a 800x600 resolution and all settings on low/off. And that was only for a couple minutes, until the frame rate would drop to 3 or 5 fps and stay like that no matter what. There was no way to bring it back to the "normal" 20 fps, except for rebooting OS X.

Then, I saw many posts here and decided to install windows 7 on a separate disk partition with BootCamp and then the D3 windows client on it, which I did.

On Windows 7, I got a steady rate of 90 fps with a 1280x800 resolution. So I put everything on maximum, with a 1680x1050 resolution with AA and still the game ran smoothly at 30-40 fps!

I wonder how long it will take for Blizzard to admit that:

1) there is an BLATANTLY OBVIOUS Issue
2) such issue IS THEIR FAULT (I play other games perfectly with all settings maxed out on OS X, so it's not the OS's fault either)
You people may not want to hear this but Eduardo is right I just installed bootcamp yesterday with Windows 7 Home Premium and the game runs about about 30 fps. I have a nVidia 9400M graphics card in my late 2009 MBP. When I play with OSX I get about 15fps. So for now just run bootcamp until Blizzard comes out with a patch or whatever.

Fact 2: Every Mac user gets low frame rates, between 12-25.

Fact 3: It runs perfectly in a VIRTUALIZED Windows 7 environment, yes that's right.

I got bored and tired of 12 FPS at 800x600 on the lowest settings so I took my 2008 Unibody MBP with the following specs.

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.32f8

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0863
    Revision ID: 0x00b1
    ROM Revision: 3385
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
    Boot Volume: Home
    Boot Mode: Normal

And since I already run Parallels for certain windows applications I threw Diablo 3 on there. Running in a Virtualized Windows 7 Environment, basically Windows 7 running on top of OSX, I consistently get 40 FPS outdoors and up to 90 in a house at minimum settings, and remains playable with most settings on high at 1280x800 as long as AA remains off.

Long story short, Blizzard made a terrible Mac clinet and is blaming hardware and telling us Mac users we just need to reset our settings or simple fixes like that. If it runs that much better in a Virtualized OS then there is actually a real problem here.

I'd also like to recommend if you want to avoid the bootcamp hassle just pick up Parallels Desktop, it's a real life saver when a AAA software publisher can't write Mac software.

Did it ever occur to you that it might not be Blizzards fault but possibly Apples fault? It's very well known that the Mac OS just isn't designed for 3D games and gameplay. All games run better in a Windows environment using the same hardware than they do in Mac OSX.
"Did it ever occur to you that it might not be Blizzards fault but possibly Apples fault? It's very well known that the Mac OS just isn't designed for 3D games and gameplay. All games run better in a Windows environment using the same hardware than they do in Mac OSX."

That's not the point. If people meet minimum requirements for the game announced it should work, simple as that! It's almost a year now and nothing has happened and i doubt it will. I even updated my os version in order to play, wasted another 30 Euro.