Why no offline or LAN mode.

General Discussion
If only there were a dozen more threads that answer this question...
05/16/2012 10:31 AMPosted by DIESLE81
I would like if it all possible for someone from blizzrd to please let me know why oh why an offline single player or LAN multiplayer was not available for diablo 3.

Did you ever play Diablo 2 online? Notice all the duping that was prevalent? That's why.
um wrong, it literally is an offline and LAN perfect game, thats what it used to be with D2... and not much has changed, just their need for $$$
Just think of D3 as a semi-MMO and stop complaining. Once the servers get stable nobody will even notice.
05/16/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Dovah
offline mode makes it easy to pirate the game, diablo3 collectors edition is already listed as cracked

This whole "you have to be online" is probably just a small hindrance to pirates, I'm sure someone somewhere will find a way to crack Diablo III, it's just a matter of time. I honestly don't believe that it's worth screwing us all over with zero offline capability just to make the pirates wait a few more days. Don't give me "but the auction house and saving your stats and !@#$ serverside!" crap either, I'm sure a dev like Blizzard could work out a system where we can have offline characters whose items don't get shared with online characters and have no access to the auction house.

Oh actually, THERE WE GO.
05/16/2012 11:40 AMPosted by Shogunner
offline mode makes it easy to pirate the game, diablo3 collectors edition is already listed as cracked

This whole "you have to be online" is probably just a small hindrance to pirates, I'm sure someone somewhere will find a way to crack Diablo III, it's just a matter of time. I honestly don't believe that it's worth screwing us all over with zero offline capability just to make the pirates wait a few more days. Don't give me "but the auction house!" crap either, I'm sure a dev like Blizzard could work out a system where we can have offline characters whose items don't get shared with online characters and have no access to the auction house.

Oh actually, THERE WE GO.

exactly what i said in my first post :)
So the data runs off the blizzard servers...

I see the logic and it makes sense.

But it is inconsiderate and does not compensate for many users.

How many people who are registered:

1: Do not have a reliable connection,
2: Do not have a high speed connection,
3: Have to compensate for other members of their wifi community using (and limiting) their wifi networks.
4: Have limited designated data usage per month,

Hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands... who knows how many more people are going to buy the game.

Facing reality, it probably is not going to change.

But these are general comments, and on behalf of other irritated users of D3, I'd like to say, BAD MOVE BLIZZARD. Yes keeping the data on your servers limits hacking and cracking... but it does just that! LIMITS! Any game you release, there are going to be hacking attempts, bugs, trojans, cracks, etc etc.... YOU CANNOT STOP INCONSIDERATE MEMBERS OF SOCIETY!!!

a humble opinion of a fan (questionable)
No offline play is an annoyance at best. To be honest, this has kinda ruined diablo for me. I was really excited until I tried playing with my guest key for the last couple days. I'm not even sure if I am going to buy the full game anymore.

Speaking of hacked items, I thought that was kind of fun in diablo 2 creating custom items! (offline)
dont mean to necro..... but im a lone player.... every time i play diablo i do it alone.... and belive me its retarded to lag when im playing ALONE..... to get DCD when im playing alone.... i think blizz should do something like offline characters that are not usable in online mode that way we the ones who dont use online gameplay can play without lag..... and those who plays online can play without the care of some one hacking items or dupong or what ever you are affraid of... specially now that auction house is long gone
I wish there was two but nope. Guess that means I will never play HC mode.

Dupes are a dumb reason. You can't trade anyways.

EDIT: Oh it is a necro...
No doubt the next class will be the Necromancer as he is haunting the forums right now.

But yes it would be nice if there was an off line option that would be completely separate from our online characters. Like how hardcore is separate from normal.
05/16/2012 11:17 AMPosted by Graciel
Why no offline or LAN mode?

Same reason The Sims isn't a first person shooter. That's not what type of game this is.

Dumbest post all week. The first two games had the features the op mentioned.
05/16/2012 11:18 AMPosted by DIRTYBRIT
Expected.... but still a bad move... what about those of us in the military who like to play but don't always have an internet connection while we are out here protecting Blizzards freedom to pull this crap!!!!!!!

peopl in the military have enough time to play diablo 3 ? that's news to me !!!
Thats too much features from d2 and they obviously hate this game
Holy necro Batman!

There's no offline mode so people don't go bat-crazy editing items, etc. Sadly there's lag with come builds because servers seem to be inadequate or are running inadequately optimized code above certain threshold of calculations but you'll have to workround the lag.

You have the option to pause the game for a few seconds, in solo mode this does work, to allow the server-client catch up and sync and then unpause, etc. until all lag subsides or everything is dead.
05/16/2012 10:49 AMPosted by WarPeace

Well then that means it has not stopped piracy thus making it useless and only causing problems.

TBH If ever a single player offline crack comes out i will POSSIBLY consider using it.

Exactly.....if guns kill even 1 person....it means restricting them is pointless because people will die anyway.

Maybe that's why there are so many bots, if you can't stop every single case of cheating, why bother to try at all?

Hard to argue with your amazing logic.

Thread should have ended here.
Because Blizzard is too lazy