My Perfect Monk

Monk
First of all, im not going to say its a unique build because let's face it, there are little ways to survive hell and inferno... so here it goes:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aQjiXg!XcU!YbcYYY

1) Im making this build 100% spirit generation because iw ant to spam the mantra as much as i can, also im going to be constantly healing me and activating the Sweeping Wind Plus summoning the earth ally.
2) I've tried this and i'm 100% sure its a pretty darn good to tank everything in hell, ive been surviving a lot more than i expected in this mode, mostly because my items are not that good...

Ok, before, for items im focusing more on dexterity all the way in the armor and rings and everything, plus Poison resistance, combined with the passive, boosting all my resistances. Plus the huge dodge bonus from the dexterity every item gives.... Finally, im giving vitality a huge role before choosing items because if i want to be alive long enough to spirit up and turtle, im going to hope the enemies miss (which they do... A LOT) and give me enough time to spirit up and thats it, from there, just keep spaming the mantra, plus the heal and the invulnerability, you are done, nothing can kill you if your items are right.

Let me know what you think! thanks :)
looks good. it seems to be about the same as what everybody else are using and says works.. im still in nm so i cant say. but im currently using this build minus a few runes cause not lvld to them yet.. and it works great. im having no trouble at all walking over nm.
i have to admit i based my build on the ones i found but before finding the forum it was much much similar
seize the initiative is terrible, at most its 5-7% more armor damage reduction. a better choice would be literally anything else. mystic ally is also not good, take the kick that gives +20% dodge. monk tank with 25% block and 45% dodge is how you handle inferno.... sometimes.
Is chant of resonance really worth it though? That 2 spirit/second is nice, but shouldn't a build based on spamming spirit have Transcendence? Do you find you can't spam nearly as much when not using the Chant of Resonance? The reason I ask is that it feels to me like FoT quickening plus SW crits are really what's driving the spirit regen.

I have a very similar build, although I'm not using mystical ally right now (I'm 52 and don't have earth yet).

I'm curious what you and others think.
05/20/2012 04:14 PMPosted by zato
seize the initiative is terrible, at most its 5-7% more armor damage reduction. a better choice would be literally anything else. mystic ally is also not good, take the kick that gives +20% dodge. monk tank with 25% block and 45% dodge is how you handle inferno.... sometimes.

really you think mystic ally is junk?? i must say, i hate the thought of having more people with me. i like to be the solo type and thought id never use it.. but i feel it has helped a boat load. he takes aggro all the time while i mow other stuff down.. really helps me out.
I just Read the think about the passive and you are right, that is true, i will change it and experiment some others now, ill respond in a couple of hours.

Same for you EmersoN
05/20/2012 04:14 PMPosted by zato

For me it gives a 12.5% increase in armor dmg reduction. That's still not as much as the 15% dodge of Guardians Path, but its closer than you're saying for my mediocre gear at least.
05/20/2012 04:27 PMPosted by edyrem

really you think mystic ally is junk?? i must say, i hate the thought of having more people with me. i like to be the solo type and thought id never use it.. but i feel it has helped a boat load. he takes aggro all the time while i mow other stuff down.. really helps me out.

That's it exactly you're soloing. When I solo I even think my Witch Doctor puppies are amazing in hell!

In a game with 3-4 players the ally sucks.
You base your build of infinite spirit yet you use chant. Waste of a passive.
So ill just drop the math here:

Damage output:

FoT: 110%
Sweeping Wind: 45%
Mystic Ally: 40% plus the now and then 60%

Spirit Production:
FoT + Quickening: 6+15 on crits (also counts the one that come from Sweeping Wind, that was another reason for it, i forgot)
Sweeping Wind: 3/s if its maxed
Breath of Heaven: 6/second for 5 seaconds each 15 seconds

With all this production, im actually keeping a great 80% full spirit almost all the time, spaming spaming and spaming the Mantra

Heals:
Mantra: 900s + 2000 from passive
Breath of Heaven 5000-6000 + 1000 from passive
Serenity: 4 seconds inmortality, in wich i recover full heall almost from the mantra pasive plus BoH. PLUS 250, that in a fight long term can end up being 10k
Sweeing Wind is a good option to just let it die and cast it again for a great 1500 hp

This,combined with the damage absorb from the rune, and the resistances from One with everythign....

IIt is true the chant is being missused so im usingnear death experience to top my survivability. I may also try guiding light, because buffing all the party for 16% all the time (the mantra counts, i hope,as a direct healing)