Characters/Modern Religion

Lore and Story
Is there any relevance at all between "archangels" and the bible? Or how about the Prime/Lesser Evils of hell? I was also looking for a quote that Blizzard employees posted on an article not too long ago, written by the Mayans I believe. The only thing I remember was it was actually written in blood in a cave. Anyways lemme kno!
05/17/2012 01:40 PMPosted by Necrophagist
Is there any relevance at all between "archangels" and the bible? Or how about the Prime/Lesser Evils of hell? I was also looking for a quote that Blizzard employees posted on an article not too long ago, written by the Mayans I believe. The only thing I remember was it was actually written in blood in a cave. Anyways lemme kno!

Dante's Inferno is a pretty large source of a lot of the original back lore. Theres a lot of traditional dark age/gothic era superstitions thrown into the original lore. Google the original D1 manual and read the now retconned back stories, it just smacks of old world religions.

Theres no central god character, but theres been a lot borrowed from Catholic ideas of arch angels put into the old lore. Part of the reason why theres so much latin thrown about.

The seven evils is an allusion to the idea of 7 deadly sins, though the names don't all match. At one point the series alluded to have different levels of hell as well. In a ring system not unlike Dante's Inferno.