Cost of AUS Servers not a inhibiting factor

Aus/NZ General Discussion
Well I can tell you one thing. If another company brought out a similar game to this with Aus/NZ servers I would immediately switch to that game.
05/20/2012 07:25 PMPosted by KineticSkink
There would be a substantial cost but it would still be profitable. They should have done it years ago when the wow oceanic servers went live.

That's exactly what I want to dispel.

Blizzard would be able to get hosting in Aus for next to nothing.

Can you give some sort of $$ amount in what actual cost would be please.
05/20/2012 09:58 PMPosted by cheekster

That's exactly what I want to dispel.

Blizzard would be able to get hosting in Aus for next to nothing.

Can you give some sort of $$ amount in what actual cost would be please.

No I couldn't since we would only be able to quesstimate requirements. What we would like, and what is being attempted is to talk to Blizzard. If Blizz were serious about having servers in Aus, we would likely be able to accommodate that.
I believe there would be a few companies that would like to chat to blizzard about hosting servers in DC's for their games and client base.

The thing that i have found to be the biggest question for both Blizzard and all the clients is what is feasible to Blizzard.

Would it be worth having the oceanic servers moved to Australia? Yes of course, there would be a large number of players return and new players to join just to have the best experience of the games.

Would the costs be covered? This is something that i am sure Blizzard have looked into and i think and believe they should look into it again as prices change.

I would like to chat to blizzard about this to help give more and get a better insight to how Blizzard would like to proceed with servers here in Australia.

BTW i would enjoy things as much as the next wow/sc2/d3 players would if they had servers here.

Love the games and hope we get a response.
It would be a significant cost.

And a significant pain in the a r s e at the same time.

That said, it would be a substantial effort in customer service.

Substantial.
They should just make a donation fund to fund the whole operation and once it reaches a certain limit they take action. That way even if it takes awhile.. There will be light at the end of the tunnel! I'd gladly donate each week knowing it would be going to Aus/NZ servers for blizzard games. Im sure alot of other people would too. Although ultimately i just wish Blizzard weren't so negative on the topic to begin with..
having a data centre in each country is not practical or viable economically, however having one in each region is. we are in the south east region so they should have servers in Singapore. this would greatly improve latency

each region could also have its own maintenance schedule during their off peak times. you could even fail to another farm while one is down and eliminate down time completely

sorry for that, I was starting to use logic. I apologise
And so the day Diablo 3 private servers become more popular than official servers is on the horizon.
all you people got to think Especially you people referring to SWTOR ok unless you wanna pay 15 dollars a month then yes i guarantee they will start up australian servers
05/20/2012 09:56 PMPosted by DunkMaster
Well I can tell you one thing. If another company brought out a similar game to this with Aus/NZ servers I would immediately switch to that game.

check out 'Path of Exile' ARPG made by an indy NZ company
05/29/2012 06:08 AMPosted by Stardrifta
all you people got to think Especially you people referring to SWTOR ok unless you wanna pay 15 dollars a month then yes i guarantee they will start up australian servers

So we have been doing that for wow going on 8 years now....
It would cost Blizzard 3 times that of any other country to run an Australian server because everything in your market is inflated.
05/29/2012 06:22 AMPosted by EPiNinJA
It would cost Blizzard 3 times that of any other country to run an Australian server because everything in your market is inflated.

Three times what? Think you'll find that silly averages like "twice as much" or some such have no basis in reality. Unless we are talking about game title pricing? Because that seems to have become quite unhinged and inflated.

We have a pretty good economy and standard of living; but, as mentioned, that's okay because we (universally) pay more for game titles because we're not-US. Swings and roundabouts?

Blizzard has standing offers for resource hosting - it's chosen to not (at least publicly) communicate to that. Fair enough. I am, quite sure, however, that it's complex and it's certainly evident there's more politic involved than perhaps simply technical or cost alone.

But that's okay. I'd personally settle for diablo iii servers in Singapore. Then we don't have to worry about horrible lag. Or Australians.
This is not a subscription based game. It is not justifyable to build and maintain servers outside their homebase.
05/29/2012 06:51 AMPosted by Custard

Three times what? Think you'll find that silly averages like "twice as much" or some such have no basis in reality. Unless we are talking about game title pricing? Because that seems to have become quite unhinged and inflated.

We have a pretty good economy and standard of living; but, as mentioned, that's okay because we (universally) pay more for game titles because we're not-US. Swings and roundabouts?

Blizzard has standing offers for resource hosting - it's chosen to not (at least publicly) communicate to that. Fair enough. I am, quite sure, however, that it's complex and it's certainly evident there's more politic involved than perhaps simply technical or cost alone.

But that's okay. I'd personally settle for diablo iii servers in Singapore. Then we don't have to worry about horrible lag. Or Australians.

Everything in Australia is 2 to 3 times the price of any other country due to your good economy and since everything is based of off the dollar, it would be a huge expense for Blizzard to put up such an expensive sever. It's not just games that you pay double the price for. It's also technology and real estate prices. Your prices are inflated to the dollar.
It may be beneficial at first, but look what happened to the aus sc2 server
05/29/2012 07:13 AMPosted by Wormdowg
It may be beneficial at first, but look what happened to the aus sc2 server

That's because it wasn't beneficial for a vast amount of players. Just a couple of things straight away

• No RealID to wow servers. RealID was 100% useless
  • Terrible research on AU Routing tables which lead to some people getting worse pings to the singapore servers over using the US ones.
  • Assuming you had a decent ping it wasn't really an upgrade over the US server (150 vs 190) unless you lived in Perth (~70)

That's why it failed. Terrible research. Is East coast AU the major share of the SEA market (AU/NZ) I'd say so, other wise why do we have a AU/NZ forums and not a Singaporian ones? To put in servers and go to that effort only to have fail research and locate them so far away from the majority of your customers - the term moronic comes to play. Pretty clear the decision to do so was all about $$$$ its the only logical conclusion.

If they launched a proper data center as in one that had SC2/D3/WoW servers in syd/mel and then used that center for future titles as well, creating a true SEA region, yep it'd be worth it for them.
I didn't read threw all the reply's, tho it seems to me, we are missing one link in the costing chain.

Let's say Blizzard set's up an Australian server. The server's would not be the only investment; there would be a whole range of other servers to outlay, not to mention strengthening there presence here - possibly if not definitely, setting up some sort of HQ.
Our dollar is strong against the US economy, Blizzard would have to pay staff, not to mention hire them. All in all, the fact that ISP's are offering free or bargain prices is irrelevant.

The real cost, would lie in setting up shop here.

We should be thinking of how, we can convince blizzard to make a long term investment here.

Has anyone got; a few thousand square meter's of office space, 80-100 staff, not to mention the equipment needed to fit out the office and staff.

It suck's I know, but thems the breaks :(.

Thanks Blizzard, you sure do stick true, to your Viking past.
It would be nice if you could move into the 21's century......... At least.

PS: We have boats to!
@proxis

They wouldn't need that. At most they'd need a few technicians for maintenance or work out an agreement with the ISP housing the data center to authorize a couple of techs.
@proxis

They wouldn't need that. At most they'd need a few technicians for maintenance or work out an agreement with the ISP housing the data center to authorize a couple of techs.

Servers also have to be kept in a temperature controlled room in addition to the cost of retail space but the expense of leasing an office space is enough for Blizzard to look the other way.