Do we really need a RMAH?

General Discussion
My ultimate goal will be to pay for D3 by playing D3. Also the AH is great, it allows you to trade time for items in a different way than grinding. Now you can actually do something with all the mediocre drops.
I posted this in my thread - which since the forums bump every half second nobody will read, but I'll post it here since it is relevant and a good way to get people to read it. The RMAH is a clever way to take advantage of a design mechanic.

The cap level is 60. After that level, you no longer gain stats with xp - you no longer gain any xp. At this point you should be beginning your inferno journey. One filled with many deaths, rage-faces, and kiting. The mobs get harder as you progress through inferno, yet you're still just level 60. The logical answer to this is that you must "level" your gear and get progressively better gear to address this deficit. For a lot of gamers this will involve forking over real world moneys to stand a chance as the minions get harder. Whether this is due to the person being a more casual gamer who can't/won't/doesn't-get-how-to farm their items is irrelevant, the point being that it will cut a broad swath into the community. Lots of people will be address their experience-growth deficit in inferno by purchasing goods at the real world auction house.

I think by now you get what I'm hinting at. I think inferno mode is nothing more than a glorified, thinly-veiled attempt at coercing users to utilize their real money auction house. I think it's a money-making scheme disguised as a "0mg 1337 Gam3r" test. The truly truly truly hardcore gamers will scoff at the prospect of shelling over real money and grind it out in hell for the drops, but I guarantee you that a large portion of the community is going to have to go to the real money auction house at some point to feel competitive... And what drove them there? The xp deficit precipitated by a low lvl cap designed to bash players' faces in inferno to drive them to spend EVEN more money on this game.

TL;DR: Lvl 60 cap is too low, as you have no growth in inferno to handle increasingly difficult mobs driving large swaths of the community to address this deficit by spending their money in the real money auction house - as Blizzard intended.
05/23/2012 05:07 AMPosted by wethu
If there was no RMAH the game could have shipped as an offline game. Which means there are no overheads for servers to run for single player games.

Yup, pretty much this. If there was no AH, especially RMAH, Blizzard wouldn't need to have so much stuff server-side in an attempt to prevent exploiting, thus we could actually play when blizzard servers are down. We would also likely not have so many problems with peoples accounts getting hacked since there would be less incentive to do so.
If Blizzard doesnt run the RMAH then other sites will just like d2
05/23/2012 05:14 AMPosted by Rezael
This is just Blizzards way of keeping that money in their hands instead of some gold selling site that's just going to steal their account info with a trojan and put them in queue for account recovery.

This is a good point, and I agree on the surface it is a goodwill effort to keep things in house, safe and consumer friendly for gamers.

However my point is, we dont need accounts to play a single player game, and what people do with their money on 3rd party websites is their business. I do realise that there is a great argument to make for DRM, it seems a bit overkill for that alone.
Personally I wont even use the gold AH, so paying cash out of pocket?

You ever hear the phrase, "When Hell freezes over.." ?

Well, when Hell freezes over I'll stop long enough to see if I changed my mind.. but nobody hold their breath.
We'll if most of the players will be banned from RMAH due to their accounts getting hacked nonstop... then no, we don't need the RMAH.
It could be like D2 for all I care. I just want to be able to play offline at my own leisure with no lag and no downtime.

This persistent online cluster!@#$ along with the "alleged" hacking and what seems to be major issues with the GAH eating money and items really makes me wish i hadn't bothered. I have spent more time on forums than actually in game because I am in Aus and they always like to take servers down when I am about to play. I haven't even progressed past A2 on normal tho I can't decide on what class I want to play.

BUT that's off-topic.
05/23/2012 05:00 AMPosted by Nilrem
Yeah it's pretty expensive running servers for a large portion of your userbase who only wanted to play single player anyway.

That point is moot, the upkeep would still be there. Adamant is the case that Online-Only would be implemented. So, confronted with such a scenario, without bestowing us all with a charge and fee, on top of the cost of the game itself. We can now sit idly and let those with money spend to their hearts content, knowing that as they are using others, we are using them.

I honestly could care less what ppl do with their money the rmah will not hurt my gameplay . I just hate not using general chat to chat once and while for the gold spammers.
The community dont need RMAH, but blizzard need it, they need all the money that they can get.
05/23/2012 05:17 AMPosted by Zee
TL;DR: Lvl 60 cap is too low, as you have no growth in inferno to handle increasingly difficult mobs driving large swaths of the community to address this deficit by spending their money in the real money auction house - as Blizzard intended.

Yeah this is pretty much on the money :P

Im not sure if it was by design blizzard have a massive gear block that gives players an incentive to buy loot, or to satisfy the level 99 hardcore d2 vets who would complain about the game being too easy to reach level cap. What i am sure of, blizzard dont hate the fact its working out this way.
I will use it, I will not buy anything redicuously overpriced mind you but I play quite a bit and i am getting sick of farming and farming when im i still havent replaced certain items. Just impatient lol, Plus more fun when i 2-shot things :P
05/23/2012 05:40 AMPosted by GonzoNeo
The community dont need RMAH, but blizzard need it, they need all the money that they can get.

You might be right, Blizzard's net revenues was down this last quarter ending in March 31 2012, from 357M to 251M.

Blizzard’s net revenues decreased for the three months ended March 31, 2012 as compared to the same period in 2011, primarily due to lower World of Warcraft subscription revenues resulting from a lower number of subscribers, and lower catalogue revenues generated from World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, which was released in December 2010.