HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (not micro-Stutt)

Technical Support
Prev 1 13 14 15 26 Next
When is this patch scheduled for? Just an approximation plz = ]
05/26/2012 06:21 PMPosted by InfectedGoat
When is this patch scheduled for? Just an approximation plz = ]

This has been answered in this post,
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149178443?page=12#238
As posted in another thread, I got:

1) I7 920

2) 9800gt 512mb

4) 4 GB of ram

Game runs very smooth even on max setting in chaotic situations (Blizzard really made a good job here) but I got this asset loading thing too, and for the first 5 minutes the game is almost unplayable. After that that, it gets from "Unplayable" to "Annoying" as microstutters re-appear in weird situations, like my follower uttering a sentence in a empty room or trying out a new skill.

This USB workaround is really not the solution...I don't even have a 16gb usb drive.

We need a fix ASAP, because I didn't blow 50€ on day1 to have the game sitting on my hard disk.
I want to say that it's a real breath-release to at least hear someone finally place in a say on this. I'm hoping for the fix as soon as possible as it's the largest reason I die in-game. But as I've told GMs back when I played warcraft last, I'd rather have a fix be solid then hobbled together.

I'm no game-designer (some of my friends know a few of them), but I know the work involved can get pretty complex.

Thanks again for the response. Hopefully the fix will land. And it'll work.
vsync and frame limiting implementations are broken in Diablo 3. First, if I lock to 60, it reverts to a solid 50fps. This happens on all 3 of my PCs. Also, the fps display constantly spins so fast its barely readable, even though I get 300fps with vsync off. Hit ctrl-r to open fps display. There is also a constant stutter even when running repeated laps around town, as displayed in this person's video... and this happens on all 3 of my PCs as well.

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=m45tih5mu#/watch?v=iukY2L8PpSM

Also, 120hz does not lock at 120fps, it always reverts to 60fps. Works fine in all my other games, but from what I have read, this is a common complaint right now with other 120hz monitor users.

This game is very stuttery on all 3 of my systems, including my i7 2600, GTX680, 16GB, SSD system.

Also, 120hz does not lock at 120fps, it always reverts to 60fps. Works fine in all my other games, but from what I have read, this is a common complaint right now with other 120hz monitor users.

It's reverting to 60fps because in the D3Pref.txt file the game is set to default to 60hz as this is the most common refresh rate.

Open the D3Pref.txt file and change the following line
DisplayModeRefreshRate "60"
Change 60 to 120 and the game to then lock to 120 fps with vsync as long as your video card can hit that frame rate. The Preferences file is located in C:\Users\"Account"\Documents\Diablo III

Another method to getting the game to lock at 120 fps without editing the D3Pred.txt file is to disable vsync in the game and then run D3DOverrider and it will automatically vsync to whatever the refresh rate of your monitor is as long as your video card can hit those fps.

This has been my experience since I recently upgraded to a 120hz display.
In all honesty, In fps games the jump from 60hz to 120hz is amazing.
However, with D3 I did not notice anything different with the increase to 120hz except for the fact that I would have to run crossfire to meet a constant 120fps maxed out which just caused more heat and more power usage.

I reverted back to 60hz for Diablo III, but everything else I run at 120hz
I know its specially bad when you first get to act 3 and the battlefields, with everything going on, hitches like crazy first time.
so my buddy was having a diablo 3 'lan' party at his house last night and his computer is a beast and he had no problems. Additionally, my other friend was using a very crappy old dell laptop and he wasn't having any stuttering either, it was so fluid.

It's so weird how this affects random people.
Someone sticky this please. Great fix. Cuts back on the stuttering.

Although I am still having some serious fps issues dropping to 15 or less with a radeon 6950
05/27/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Rubinxt
Someone sticky this please. Great fix. Cuts back on the stuttering.

I also think this should be a sticky.

Although a patch for HDD stuttering has been promised, many Diablo fans can be using this fix to enjoy the game until the patch rolls out.
YAY! After trying literally every other fix this is the only one that worked at all. I do still have slight stuttering and an external HD attached to my laptop but right now, I'm okay with it. Also I have slight stuttering still, didn't follow the steps exactly but installed the game on my External and ran it from there instead of tricking my computer to. Not sure if that matters at all just throwing it out there for the less experienced PC people out there.

Also I did try to do it the way in the OP but I couldn't figure out the command prompt so I just quit, would doing the original way be better?

Running an an i7, 6GB RAM and Geforce 540m
Hello! figure i'd drop in and contribute by saying i got the same problem here. the stutter thing or whatever it is is worst for me soon as i first load into the game. It's is so jumpy for about a min or so and while that's going on my HDD light is flickering hardcore for about a min or so then it smooths out to playable conditions. But even then at random points in the game it will skip and sputter and jump around with inconsistent frame rates. I've not tried the fix yet with the flash drive as i'm just going to play something else in the meantime until a patch fixes this for the long term. Just wanted to drop in and say it's affected me so that blizz knows how many of us are affected by this. My system is little old but i can run games such as Skyrim at a smooth 60fps @ 1920x1080 resolution. so i don't know what gives with this game but i'm patient and will play something else until this gets lined out. Thx for your time everyone.

- Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale @ 3.6ghz
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0
- 4GB OCZ Reapers 800mhz DDR2 2x2 gb sticks
- PC Power & Cooling 610w Silencer Power Supply
- Palit GTX 460 1GB 256-bit bus Sonic Overclocked Edition 700/1400/1800 clocks

*Update* Also want to note i have all my drivers up to date for my system including windows updates, directx, video card, sound ect ect.
05/27/2012 09:50 PMPosted by Forlani
I've not tried the fix yet with the flash drive as i'm just going to play something else in the meantime until a patch fixes this for the long term.

I will take you 5 min to do so..

Must I slay all these demons myself ?
I simply don't understand why this isn't working for me! I'm running the game from my flash drive but my HDD is spiking like CRAZY when i'm runnning D3 which is causing enormous levels of stuttering where it crawls to like 5FPS.

Quite literally the game is running at 60FPS for a whole minute and i'm playing smoothly, and suddenly my HDD is running like crazy and it slows to a crawl. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING DAMNIT!
Whats the command to relink to the MPQ files in the directory? Or is that even needed when reverting them back to original names?

Game wont even load for me now :/ Just hangs on the D3 logo
Whats the command to relink to the MPQ files in the directory? Or is that even needed when reverting them back to original names?

Game wont even load for me now :/ Just hangs on the D3 logo

Instead of creating the mklink through the command prompt you can use this small gui application that helps simplify it for you.

http://code.google.com/p/symlinker/
I already created the mk link but the game wont run. It seems to be trying to fix itself by creating backup mpq files in the directory which i think its trying to read but there just empty zero byte files.