Power Supply Replacement

Games & Technology
I don't want to waste money buying a power supply that I don't need. My current one went out recently and I would like to just replace it with what my computer needs and nothing extra.
I'm seeing stuff from 400watts to over 1k watts.

Anyone with some nice hardware experience able to guide me to about how much wattage I need?

AMD athlon 64x 4400+ dual core (2.3ghz)
512mb ATI 2600 HD pro
3gig ddr2 ram
I have no idea what else you might need to know so let me know and I'll get more information.

Oh, and any cheap way/upgrade suggestions welcome too. I have everything on super low and still have some frames issues with 3-4 people party or any place with some heavy particles. The sewers in a2 is the biggest problem...
Thanks
mmmm 1 sec.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

Corsair CX500 500w PSU. 60.00. I reccomend Corsair power supplies they are definitely reliable and efficient and have great warranty.

I run a Corsair HX850 in my computer and I've been nothing but impressed with it and the customer service provided when I've had issues with other corsair products.

Admittedly you need to upgrade your entire system in general. But of course that takes money.

There is nothing cheap about upgrading your computer right now because its just so old.

you need a new processor, ram, video card, and new motherboard.
(to be able to run D3 efficiently/flawlessly excluding the software glitches that still need to be worked out)

i'd reccomend a newer athlon II quad core with atleast a 550 Ti preferably EVGA and 8gb of G.skill ram or something.

new boards can be picked up for roughly 70.00 a decent MSI board, new processor ~100 video card 140 and ram ~60-70

your current build is quite old. you experience ALOT of bottlenecks in your CPU and your video card is just outdated.

If your current computer supports PCIE video cards get a 550 Ti and that would be the next step towards getting to run D3 well, your last bottleneck would be with your ram and processor.
Thanks for the reply. You pretty much said everything I was hoping I could avoid but knew it was coming. Overall plan was to get this working so I can at least farm or something and in the meantime try to upgrade but I guess I'm better off just saving and building me a new computer more or less xD

Would that corsair power supply be enough for when I upgrade the rest of the stuff?
Itd be pushing it. to be safe I'd move up to a 600w. or somewhere in there.

Sorry to burst your bubble there.

let me get you a link here really quickly to a different one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
this is a Corsair CX600. like 10.00 more.

if you ever need help coming up with a build add me on bnet and I'll help you out sometime.
http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html

Punch in your hardware.

Hit Calculate.

See the number in large, bold font.

Click the 'Find PSU' button.

Pick something within budget.

Edit: Read the rest of the thread and I agree. Time for an upgrade.
I replace powersupplies everyday and I can tell you Antec or Corsair are the best, and I lean toward Antec more as I have put literally hundreds in customers computers and have yet to replace one, except from lighting strikes, which doesn't really count.
That's a nice tool, thanks Chickennooble.

@FTFG, not really sure how to add anyone without being able to get on Diablo. I'm currently on a crap laptop that can't even run the game xD
I have a friend of mine who is coming up with a build for me that will keep me under $500 so I might just have you look at it also and see if you have any better suggestions.
I find that the newegg power supply calculator isnt TOO accurate but gives you a good general idea.

And yeah let me know. I'd be more then happy to look over a build for you.
Nowadays with the new video cards out, I would go with a power supply anywhere between 500-600w.
Note whether your case is slim case or standard mid-tower.

Seeing your CPU, I would actually recommend saving up for a new computer as a whole.
If you are interested, check this guide out.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4850585139
go with 800w at min. in time u will be upgrade ur pc and eventually ull need/want 800w+ for ur rig. esp if ur gonna build a nice new rig. ull want plenty of cooling and power for toys in it. like sli cards or xfire. multiple case fans. multiple hard drives and dvd drives. better safe then sorry.. 140 bucks i got a thermaltake 850w black widow gaming power supply at best buy. im sure u can find it cheeper on web but my old one died so i bought it 10 mins later at the store.. didnt wanna wait for it in the mail.
05/29/2012 01:26 PMPosted by Metaphizix
Nowadays with the new video cards out, I would go with a power supply anywhere between 500-600w.

This.
05/29/2012 05:29 PMPosted by millerman
go with 800w at min. in time u will be upgrade ur pc and eventually ull need/want 800w+ for ur rig. esp if ur gonna build a nice new rig. ull want plenty of cooling and power for toys in it. like sli cards or xfire. multiple case fans. multiple hard drives and dvd drives. better safe then sorry.. 140 bucks i got a thermaltake 850w black widow gaming power supply at best buy. im sure u can find it cheeper on web but my old one died so i bought it 10 mins later at the store.. didnt wanna wait for it in the mail.

I considered the same thing but I don't think this guy does alot of high end gaming, especially with a rig like he currently has.

600 will be fine for now. especially with the new build.

Getting a good 850w is like 170.00
yeah but this thermaltake was marked down at bestbuy. so it was a must grab. i had a 650w in mine but i have 2 gtx 260 bfg cards. the maxcore 55's with 216 cuda cores. they recommend 550w min just for one card and system