Nightmare got HARD for me.

Demon Hunter
The end of normal and now act 1 of nightmare honestly are not easy solo for me.

I am pushing 670 DPS with archery, I decimate everything but my foes gladly return the same favor.

What do you guys do to stay alive? I find the mammoth beasts in act 1 nearly unstoppable if I don't seriously run and gun.
Kite like crazy. I use caltrops with torturous ground rune (adds 2 second immobilize on top of the 60% slow). I just back away slowly while dropping them in a line. Combined with frost arrows, it makes kiting a breeze.
The end of normal and now act 1 of nightmare honestly are not easy solo for me.

I am pushing 670 DPS with archery, I decimate everything but my foes gladly return the same favor.

What do you guys do to stay alive? I find the mammoth beasts in act 1 nearly unstoppable if I don't seriously run and gun.

That's what DH is built to do... that being said, armor, resistances and +Vit with some lifesteal/heals per hit works wonders...
I like Entangling Shot with the lightning rune, Chakram with the Razor Disk rune, Evasive Fire with the rune that lets you fire multiple bolts at once, Cluster Arrow with the rune that drops the stun grenades, and Vault with the stun/knockback rune. You have lots of CC to easily kite and also plenty of damage for both AOE and single target situations. Basically the class takes finesse in general, but more so in Nightmare than in Normal so far. You just have to stay mobile and choose the right set of skills for the right situation. It's not a derp barb, but you have more options on how to approach situations with the DH. Honestly though... just use Razor Disk Chakram as much as possible and you won't have a problem with anything anymore... lol. It's ridiculous.