What primary spell do you use?

Wizard
05/19/2012 06:54 PMPosted by Collides
Shock pulse with piercing orb rune, it can be a tad hard to aim in some cases, but for a primary, its great against packs of mobs as it goes right through them and does pretty decient dmg to everything, arcane orb with tap the source for secondary.

Electrocute + Lightning Blast is better than Shock Pulse + Piercing Orb if you're disliking the awkward aiming that comes with SP + PO. Though the % damage of Electrocute is lower, it also fires quite a bit faster, so I'm pretty sure they even out.

Yeah, they are probably fairly equal. but piercing orb has more versatile pathing allowing you to hit things you could never do with lightning blast.
Magic missile + damage
Arc Orb + damage
Frost Nova + Shatter
Arcane Hydra

Boring, you can do it all at super low lvl (except for hydra of course) but it works the best
05/19/2012 06:58 PMPosted by Sinuous

Electrocute + Lightning Blast is better than Shock Pulse + Piercing Orb if you're disliking the awkward aiming that comes with SP + PO. Though the % damage of Electrocute is lower, it also fires quite a bit faster, so I'm pretty sure they even out.

Yeah, they are probably fairly equal. but piercing orb has more versatile pathing allowing you to hit things you could never do with lightning blast.

Really? Could you provide an example of when this would be the case? iirc Piercing Orb still travels in a linear fashion overall, it just oscillates along that line instead of traveling straight ahead like Lightning Blast does.

I'm just in this thread looking for another reason to try other primary spells - my current setup is getting boring and I'm itching for a nice revamp to get through the rest of Nightmare with. :3
Shock pulse with explosive bolts is fun.
I feel it takes way too long for the explosive bolts to pop at NM. I think piercing MM/Obliteration Orb is decent; I do switch out for Convergence with Electrocute sometimes.
05/19/2012 06:32 PMPosted by Drekor
Ray of Frost ^_^

Yep. Virtually AP free and hits harder than any signature spell. I mostly dropped signature spells after normal. Athough electrocute with chain lightning is still useful inside dungeons in certain chokepoints. (The chain lightning can bounce around corners and doorways and hit stuff out of line of sight.)
Right now I'm running Piercing Orb, which is nice. I also like Split and Charged Blast. Not a fan of Chain Lightning - it doesn't melt the closest enemy fast enough (And against large packs, Piercing Orb will do more damage anyways)

Really? Could you provide an example of when this would be the case? iirc Piercing Orb still travels in a linear fashion overall, it just oscillates along that line instead of traveling straight ahead like Lightning Blast does.

I'm just in this thread looking for another reason to try other primary spells - my current setup is getting boring and I'm itching for a nice revamp to get through the rest of Nightmare with. :3

It can go around corners, like doorways, stairwells. It has an odd path when it reaches a corner. It's hard to explain, you just have to experiiment. Most of the time it goes in a straight line, but you can make it bend some.
05/19/2012 08:04 PMPosted by Sinuous
It can go around corners, like doorways, stairwells.

Will it rolls down stairs, alone or in pairs, rolls over your neighbors dog...?

05/21/2012 11:35 AMPosted by QuickBen
It can go around corners, like doorways, stairwells.

Will it rolls down stairs, alone or in pairs, rolls over your neighbors dog...?

Yes, because it's LOG!
05/19/2012 04:05 PMPosted by recyclops
Magic Missile with Attunement and Prodigy. I use my signature to refill my AP pool rather than to do damage. While also running Astral Presence, my AP regen is retarded.

This.
Shock pulse with Exploding Bolts. Frost Nova mobs so they can't move, shock pulse and watch as the entire wave melts like butter.

As more mobs run to reinforce the pack they take damage from the explosions of their brethren in the front and by the time they get up to you they will be ready to explode in a single shock pulse if they get that far.

This works great for packs with mixed high hp and low hp mobs as the low hp mobs detonate and all the detonations deal damage to the big hp mobs. If everything works out they will have taken enough AOE damage from the low hp mob 'splosions to die at the next shock pulse use.

And 3 projectiles dealing 105% weapon damage each makes this the hardest hitting signature against big enemies if 2 or more hit the same target.

I should point out that I frost nova the closest mobs and have the 20% increased damage when attacking slowed/frozen mobs passive.
electrocute with AP for mobs, magic missile with AP for bosses.

however I find in hell i'm kiting more than I am doing anything else so considering just mapping arcane or or something useful...
05/19/2012 04:13 PMPosted by Chrysalis
None. I stuffed Archon into that slot as soon as I got it. Doing a signature spell-less build for public games. As nice as 'free damage' is, it cuts into the number of spells you can have on hand.

I read that before. Is it possible to change certain slots? How can you have no signature spell?
05/21/2012 01:40 PMPosted by DrAngst
None. I stuffed Archon into that slot as soon as I got it. Doing a signature spell-less build for public games. As nice as 'free damage' is, it cuts into the number of spells you can have on hand.

I read that before. Is it possible to change certain slots? How can you have no signature spell?

Go into Gameplay Options and activate 'Elective Mode'. You're gonna want to do this sooner or later because even if you use signature spells you're going to want more than one spell from the same category.

I've now subbed out Archon for Energy Armor, it's getting me killed too often in group play.
05/19/2012 06:54 PMPosted by Collides
Shock pulse with piercing orb rune, it can be a tad hard to aim in some cases, but for a primary, its great against packs of mobs as it goes right through them and does pretty decient dmg to everything, arcane orb with tap the source for secondary.

Agreed. Electrocute and lightning blast is probably the best, especially with prodigy.

It doesnt seem to factor in the speed of your weapon, so its a must for 2h.
Shock Pulse with Explosive Bolts
05/21/2012 01:58 PMPosted by Baconstrip
Agreed. Electrocute and lightning blast is probably the best, especially with prodigy.

You're the first person I've read on these forums that uses Prodigy for a passive. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's just really interesting.

But on topic. Magic missile + Attunement. Or Shock pulse with living lightning if I'm in a group and feel like having some fun.
Shock Pulse with Living Lightning. Utterly ridiculous for crit fishing.