So Has Blizzard Given Up or...

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 26 Next
just for the record, after not even 4 days I was on inferno. Now I have 2 classes on inferno, and 3 others in nightmare proceeding fast.
Only one class reached act2 in inferno I admit, but difficulties are a bit weird for me.
I do not consider myself a hardcore player or anything like that, altough I did play a lot when the game came out, and even now.

Hell is too easy and the drops seem far inferior to anything that sells on the AH.
Inferno can be farmed with certain runs, and you need indeed to farm it to proceed on your own.
So all in all I was disappointed, I expected hell act 4 to drop everything and be as hard as hell in diablo2 (more or less), and inferno to be as hard as übertristram with an increased loot chance (one chance in a million instead of a billion, or something like that).

Now one is too easy and one is too hard, the only solution are runs that use things close to exploits.

btw. I applaud every hardcore player that is in hell or beyond.

stop clapping
most of them died at inferno act 2 or more
To those who say hell is easy? Mind just handing over whatever items you don't need because right now I'm using items that are 10 to 15 levels lower than me because I haven't found anything better. I so want to enjoy this game as it has so much potential, but Blizzard just either got lazy or don't know how to balance a game. The drops are terrible, terrible, terrible.
05/26/2012 03:23 PMPosted by Bashiok
Thanks for the post, Bashiok. Do you think that one area of concern that may get looked at is that people aren't able to gear up for Infernon Act 1, even, without going to the AH and spending a lot of gold. Is this intended (To gear up solely through the AH) or will the drops at the end of Hell be better adjusted to help gear up for Inferno Act 1 and so on.

The auction house obviously provides an incredible service to allow for very easy trades between characters, and essentially blows out the wide range of items you could have available to you at any one time. So, in fact, the AH has to be a factor in how we drop items. On one hand you have a huge benefit because you can buy and sell items very easily, as opposed to having to post up WTS threads in the old USEast trading forums, but on the other end it does impact the item pool economy with the inherent ease at which you can trade items. If the AH existed but wasn't a factor at all into how items dropped/rolled, the economy would be completely tanked within a matter of weeks.

This is a bit frustrating as answers go. So, is it your intent that people gear through Auction House? It seems you're saying "yes" but it isn't clear.

I've been farming Inferno Act I quite a bit, rolling 5 Valor stacks at various times, and I have to play for a very long time to see anything that passes as an upgrade. In fact, I think almost every piece I am using is from AH, and I run with people that share all of our drops. It doesn't feel like AH is part of gearing, it feels like it is the only source of gear. I'm sure it is possible to gear without it, but I can't imagine the time investment required to do so.
The amount of people who have even unlocked Inferno is so infinitesimally small (relatively speaking), and the number of people who are attempting content beyond what their gear/skill allows, means we don't really have a ton of data to look at yet. Plus the item economy at the higher levels is extremely limited just because the number of people able to progress is even smaller. People tend to underestimate gear value, or want difficulty progression to be a linear curve. Not everyone enjoys the steep difficulty incline and need to take a step back on improving their characters, builds, technique, etc. But it certainly is a case of overcoming difficulty through skills and gear as there are cases of all classes continuing to clear Inferno post-nerfs.

Anyway, we'll have an article up on the front page on Monday that gives a couple fun stats, and goes into explaining a few of the things we're working on and maybe some rough time frames.

I think we're about to see the busiest weekend for the game yet, with the most amount of people online and enjoying the game together. We're looking forward to a bright future for the game for years to come. We're in it for the long haul.

(Pro tip! See the blue BLIZZ icon to the right of this post? Clicking it will take you to any subsequent blue posts in the thread. Check it out!)

Can you please comment on the Demon Hunter in inferno?

It seems to me that every character needs to get past the "I'm getting 1 shotted" stage, and this class has the hardest time doing it.

However, using SS (even post nerf) people are able to progress through inferno without worrying about that, and thus, they don't need to worry about any stats on gear aside from offense. I feel that this circumvents fundamental Diablo gameplay and strategy.

This class doesn't seem to be working as intended. What are the devs going to do?
This is a bit frustrating as answers go. So, is it your intent that people gear through Auction House? It seems you're saying "yes" but it isn't clear.

I've been farming Inferno Act I quite a bit, rolling 5 Valor stacks at various times, and I have to play for a very long time to see anything that passes as an upgrade. In fact, I think almost every piece I am using is from AH, and I run with people that share all of our drops. It doesn't feel like AH is part of gearing, it feels like it is the only source of gear. I'm sure it is possible to gear without it, but I can't imagine the time investment required to do so.

This isn't a new concept. In Diablo II gear was randomized and so absolutely ridiculously rare that you could almost be guaranteed to never find the exact item you were looking for just by farming for it yourself. To be the best you had to trade items with others, as you might find an extremely rare item, they may be willing to trade for yours. If you wanted to get ahead within any reasonable amount of time you had to trade. Now, Diablo II had one thing going for it which was the mass proliferation of dupes for the rarest items, which completely tanked its economy and quickly allowed anyone to gear themselves in the best possible items for nearly nothing. In Diablo III you don't have that luxury, you need to actually find the rare items, or trade for them.

Now, you have a couple options, you can jump into our Trading Forum, post up your item/s and then meet someone in-game and barter a trade. You can also use the in-game Trade channel, and again barter trades. Or you can use the auction house system. How you trade items is up to you, bartering out of game, bartering in-game, the AH for gold, or real money once it launches. We're not forcing anyone to do anything, and if you don't ever want to trade with other players that's your choice as well, but due to the nature of drops in Diablo games, if you want to be the best you need to trade.
Now, you have a couple options, you can jump into our Trading Forum, post up your item/s and then meet someone in-game and barter a trade.

Don't forget the in-game Trade Channel! That channel really needs more recognition.
05/27/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Byteflux
Now, you have a couple options, you can jump into our Trading Forum, post up your item/s and then meet someone in-game and barter a trade.

Don't forget the in-game Trade Channel! That channel really needs more recognition.

Thanks! Added that.
So the current state of grinding for this gear - getting one shot by anything in Inferno that will drop loot your level - is actually considered okay?

This isn't a new concept. In Diablo II gear was randomized and so absolutely ridiculously rare that you could almost be guaranteed to never find the exact item you were looking for just by farming for it yourself. To be the best you had to trade items with others, as you might find an extremely rare item, they may be willing to trade for yours. If you wanted to get ahead within any reasonable amount of time you had to trade. Now, Diablo II had one thing going for it which was the mass proliferation of dupes for the rarest items, which completely tanked its economy and quickly allowed anyone to gear themselves in the best possible items for nearly nothing. In Diablo III you don't have that luxury, you need to actually find the rare items, or trade for them.

Now, you have a couple options, you can jump into our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3354991/"]Trading Forum[/url], post up your item/s and then meet someone in-game and barter a trade. You can also use the in-game Trade channel, and again barter trades. Or you can use the auction house system. How you trade items is up to you, bartering out of game, for gold, or real money once it launches. We're not forcing anyone to do anything, and if you don't ever want to trade with other players that's your choice as well, but due to the nature of drops in Diablo games, if you want to be the best you need to trade.

You know what isnt a new concept? Game design that does not result in high anxiety emotional responses from the player, just as much as that same design isnt supposed to result in excessive levels of boredom due to lack of challenge.

Right now you sound like the Robert Gibbs of Diablo 3. Its hard to take anything you say seriously. Actually like the game, its generally followed by a negative emotional response. Just a heads up!
Then you exploit everyone in spending real dollars to upgrade their gear because blizzard designed the game to make you fail to a point of desperation.

Also an interesting note that there is no names attached to AH sales, which tells me blizzard will probably generate items on the AH for $$

I worked my hands to the bone to bring you these fine trolls.
While I understand what you are saying bashiok I am really confused about the loot tables. Is it possible to lets say get the highest dps weapon possible in act 1 inferno? If it is not what is the point of doing act 1 and wont the game just turn out to be an act 3 or 4 farm and ignore the first 2?
Channels always empty lol. I spam general.

Now, you have a couple options, you can jump into our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3354991/"]Trading Forum[/url], post up your item/s and then meet someone in-game and barter a trade. You can also use the in-game Trade channel, and again barter trades. Or you can use the auction house system. How you trade items is up to you, bartering out of game, bartering in-game, the AH for gold, or real money once it launches. We're not forcing anyone to do anything, and if you don't ever want to trade with other players that's your choice as well, but due to the nature of drops in Diablo games, if you want to be the best you need to trade.

The difference in Diablo 2 was that you could solo act 4 and 5 with gear you farmed yourself.

In Diablo 3 you have no chance in act 2 and onward unless you buy gear from the auction house. The best gear drops in the later acts (Jay said there was one tier of drops in each Act), so there will be a looooong while until I even have a chance at starting farming the best gear.

Basically I have to gear up so I have a chance at gearing up so I have a chance at getting the good loot.

In D2, I could start farming the best loot the game had to offer by myself.
05/27/2012 12:41 PMPosted by Bashiok
Or you can use the auction house system.

Kinda hard to do that with how frequently it is offline. When it is online I've had purchases take up to 24h to complete. Doesn't seem like a very efficient way to gear up.
Now, you have a couple options, you can jump into our Trading Forum, post up your item/s and then meet someone in-game and barter a trade. You can also use the in-game Trade channel, and again barter trades. Or you can use the auction house system. How you trade items is up to you, bartering out of game, bartering in-game, the AH for gold, or real money once it launches. We're not forcing anyone to do anything, and if you don't ever want to trade with other players that's your choice as well, but due to the nature of drops in Diablo games, if you want to be the best you need to trade.

I agree, that being the "best" should require trading. After all, Diablo is a loot game, and you can't be expected to use everything you find, so other valuable items should be traded. If you want to be one of the top geared players of your class, then yeah, trading should be mandatory.

However, I think that poster's intent was to point out that there isn't really a "progression" through Inferno. You can't get stuff in Hell to do Inferno. Or get stuff in Inferno Act 1 to go do Inferno Act 2. The item levels, and item expectations are too far apart. Instead, most people doing Inferno past Act 2 right now are just buying Inferno Act 4 gear -- likely from someone who exploited or gamed the system to get there.
The difference in Diablo 2 was that you could solo act 4 and 5 with gear you farmed yourself.

In Diablo 3 you have no chance in act 2 and onward unless you buy gear from the auction house. The best gear drops in the later acts (Jay said there was one tier of drops in each Act), so there will be a looooong while until I even have a chance at starting farming the best gear.

Basically I have to gear up so I have a chance at gearing up so I have a chance at getting the good loot.

In D2, I could start farming the best loot the game had to offer by myself.

Good point! Yes, Diablo III has an additional difficulty level, Inferno, with a very steep difficulty curve. One bit of misinformation is that loot is static in where it drops, but in fact the loot table bands are quite large. For example the "Inferno Act I loot" has a chance to drop in Hell Act IV as much as it does Inferno Act II. You will need to farm Inferno Act I to get a shot at those higher level items to drop so you can continue progressing.
05/27/2012 12:41 PMPosted by Bashiok
In Diablo II gear was randomized and so absolutely ridiculously rare that you could almost be guaranteed to never find the exact item you were looking for just by farming for it yourself.

I am not sure we played the same diablo II then cause i cant tell you the crazy amount of times i needed to find another unique shako or an occulus or something for myself or a friend. I realize that you did not say that it was impossible to do, but it really was not that difficult or time consuming as you make it sound as long as you knew where to look for them like by doing mephisto runs for a few hours tops.

Thanks! Added that.

Are you aware how small the chat windows are? When we wanna use say trade channel, whatever gets posted for selling will be gone within about 6 secs. The window is so small, we have to scroll up all the time to see what people posted. The gold spammers ruin it too with their 4 lines of spam. The chat interface needs to be redesigned. And maybe you have not noticed how few people actually join the chat channels. They are generally empty with but 2-3 people. Make using chat easier? To change channels, I have to click a menu, then click another menu popup...