Authenticator help...

General Discussion
Hey guys,

So with all the reading I'm doing, I'm looking to get an authenticator. I guess all my friends playing have one and my question is which is a good one. I don't want the physical key thing so I was looking at the mobile one. Unfortunately I have a BB phone with OS 7 and that isn't supported yet, only OS 6. My buddy said get the desktop one from winbma...is anyone using this and would you recommend it? Any problems with it?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm the author of WinBMA. I've actually created the program back in 2010 when Blizzard didn't support the BlackBerry Storm 2. Now I'm on Android, but I still use WinBMA as well as the mobile authenticator.

If you are going to use WinBMA, there is a few things you should note:

• It is preferable to use the official mobile authenticator or hardware dongle.
    Those options are supported by Blizzard and are (by definition) on a different device than your gaming PC.
  • Remember that WinBMA isn't supported nor endorsed by Blizzard.
    While it works today, it is possible that Blizzard decides to block the use of WinBMA. (the app clearly identifies itself as WinBMA when calling the BMA API. If it is their choice to block the app, I will respect their decision).

Blizzard's stance on the use of this software can be found here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2569217651#5
  • If possible, use WinBMA on a separate computer.
    This will minimize risks if your computer gets compromised (by a virus infection for example). The point of having two-factor authentication is to ensure that the information required for authenticating is on two different devices.
  • Use encryption when storing your authenticator token.
    It is an option during the token creation wizard. Use a different password than your Battle.net account.
  • Only download WinBMA from the official website.
    That would be http://code.google.com/p/winbma/.
  • Protect yourself.
    An authenticator isn't a cure for user stupidity. Protect your credentials and do not share your authenticator or login details with anyone else.
  • Backup your authenticator.
    Either export it (again, use encryption) or take note of the serial and restore code.

Other than that, using an authenticator (even a Windows Open Source solution like mine) is still leagues better than not having one at all.
@FineWolf

Thanks for creating a nice solution. My question is how do you add an authenticator like yours to an account? on battle.net it asks for a10 digit serial and a 6 character authenticator code. i am a but lost. Any advice would be great.
@FineWolf

Thanks for creating a nice solution. My question is how do you add an authenticator like yours to an account? on battle.net it asks for a10 digit serial and a 6 character authenticator code. i am a but lost. Any advice would be great.

When presented with the choice to attach a hardware or a mobile authenticator, you need to choose the mobile option.

You chose the hardware option, which has a different authenticator code and serial format.
Well, I am impressed! Nice to know there is a third option, and very cool of you to do it, FineWolf.

Also impressed that blizzard are choosing to respect users wishing to auth with it, even if they can't officially support or endorse it.

Props to both you and blizzard.
Props to FineWolf!
Much appreciated Wolf!

If you are going to use WinBMA, there is a few things you should note:

How about copying this to WinBMA site? It's a more extended info than there.