paid can't teamup with a starter edition pal

General Discussion
My hubby and I bought the game.
Our son wants to check it out.
So we gave him one of the guest passes.
It says that he can play until a certain part in the game only. We are fine with that.

But it won't let him team up, saying we can't team with him because we don't have a starter pack; and vice versa, we can't invite him because he doesn't have a paid version.

The fun of this game is being with friends. Now he doesn't get to see what the game is like fun wise with friends. Being, we will be the only friends online for him.

Am I missing something?
Why can't we team with him and show him how fun the game is?
Also, we created lvl 1's to be with him when he started. It still wouldn't let us.
there's a reason for this. Remember diablo 2 spammers and such? this is not only to encourage peeps to buy the full game to play with their buds, but it's also to limit spammers and such who could easily pick up a guest pass and have a free method to spam the crap out of paid players games (paid as in they bought the full game).

NOTE*** - This is not stated anywhere on their site, but it makes sense
Probably to combat spambots and other such exploits and issues generally associated with letting free accounts mix with paid ones. Or at least that would be my guess.
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-starter-edition-guest-pass

Matchmaking available only with other Starter Edition players

While it's not "matchmaking" but a privite invite, it seems that only guest pass players can multiplayer with other guest pass players.
Aww man.
A valid reason for someone to get to see the fun in teaming up.
Is messed up now because of spammers. I understand the reasoning, but annoying as all hell now.

Guess we gotta go find a collectors edition (to make the purchase worth it).

Thanks all.
It's like WoW and old Diablo 1 shareware. No teams for guests.
Why not just download the Starter Edition and play with him that way? Seems like a simple fix.
This sucks. Spamming would be only valid if there'd be unlimited guest passes. But aren't there only 2 available for each full version? To me the main point of the guest pass is to give it to a friend, play the game a bit together with them and get them to buy the full version. Also: my friend's copy is still in the mail and we wanted to play together through the first act until it arrives. I'm disappointed now.
05/16/2012 10:52 AMPosted by Counterpart
This sucks. Spamming would be only valid if there'd be unlimited guest passes. But aren't there only 2 available for each full version? To me the main point of the guest pass is to give it to a friend, play the game a bit together with them and get them to buy the full version. Also: my friend's copy is still in the mail and we wanted to play together through the first act until it arrives. I'm disappointed now.

The starter and guest editions only allow you to play up to the Skeleton King, so you wouldn't be able to play Act I together, anyway.
05/16/2012 10:53 AMPosted by Guppies
The starter and guest editions only allow you to play up to the Skeleton King, so you wouldn't be able to play Act I together, anyway.

Fair point. Even more important then that his full version arrives today...
05/16/2012 10:49 AMPosted by Guppies
Why not just download the Starter Edition and play with him that way? Seems like a simple fix.

Isn't the starter edition linked to your battletag/account? I don't think you can have both versions linked to your acount. The live version would overwrite the starter.
Total bull!@#$
Aww man.
A valid reason for someone to get to see the fun in teaming up.
Is messed up now because of spammers. I understand the reasoning, but annoying as all hell now.

Guess we gotta go find a collectors edition (to make the purchase worth it).

Thanks all.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Diablo+III+Collector's+Edition+-+Mac/Windows/3954048.p?id=1218444835032&skuId=3954048&st=diablo 3&lp=1&cp=1

a valid link to Best Buy where one can be purchased right now.
I guess you do have to pay to play... so sad...
This is totally a mistake IMHO. Everyone I know who got into WoW (including myself) got into it by grouping as a starter /w a paid account...