My story progress won't save.

Bug Report
My story progress keeps getting set back somehow when I switch between solo and cooperative play. Today it set me back about half way in Act II. I got set back three times and had to repeat the same content over and over again. Though it wasn't that far back every time. I was about ready to pull my hair out. My solution was to semi-exploit Demon Hunter mechanics. I ended up using Smoke Screen and Preperation to run through outdoor areas to get to dungeons. I did the same in inside areas to just grab the stuff I needed to complete the quests.

As an example, if I go into the game right now my solo progression is Act III part 3 Keep Depths. If I try to join a co-op game I have to join at Act III part I The Siege of Bastion's Keep. Yesterday, when I first got to Act III my progression for solo play showed Act III part 1 while my progression for co-op play still showed me at the end of Act II. The option isn't there to choose to advance it. That's where my list ends.

Now if I was to choose to play a co-op game at the beginning of Act III it would reset my quest progression in solo play as well. This is what was killing my interest in the game yesterday. One time I was set back all the way from part 7 of Act II to part 3. On Nightmare that's easily several hours of progression lost.

The second problem I'm having that makes the one above even worse is the grouping system is really broken atm. It's almost impossible to get a full group for questing unless I've got the game open to the public when I hit an end boss of an act. If I open it up at the beginning of the act I usually get one person. If I join a game in progress I always end up on a server with one person. If I'm in the middle of the act I have to resign myself to soloing because I won't get anyone and for some reason the game doesn't allow me to pick specific parts of an act to join. I mention this one mostly because I think it might be tied to my quest progression bug.
The game always remembers solo progression. For public games however, the list of quests you can join is based both on your single-player progress and your level. If you're too low, you won't see the later quests in the public games list. Example: You're level 37 and can do up to act 1, quest 7 because it's for 37-41. Quest 8 is for 38-42 so you won't be able to join. (fake numbers)

You can always make a game yourself,open the game to the public and hope someone joins you.

The grouping issue has been acknowledged by Blizzard and they're going to tweak it.
The game always remembers solo progression. For public games however, the list of quests you can join is based both on your single-player progress and your level. If you're too low, you won't see the later quests in the public games list. Example: You're level 37 and can do up to act 1, quest 7 because it's for 37-41. Quest 8 is for 38-42 so you won't be able to join. (fake numbers)

You can always make a game yourself,open the game to the public and hope someone joins you.

The grouping issue has been acknowledged by Blizzard and they're going to tweak it.

Hrmm that's interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on that as I just did hit level 44 last night and that's the minimum level listed for Act III. That would explain why Act III just became available as an option for co-op. At level 43, my Monk is having the same issue as my DH. I guess being too low a level would also explain why the mobs have been so hard...even for Nightmare.