Shen, the jeweler - Who is he, really?

Lore and Story
Covetous Shen is the Trickster God, Zei.
I hope they make a movie, and get Jackie Chan to play him.
I recently got into the lore for this game and I am blown away by how expansive the universe seems to be (beforehand, I didn't pay much attention to anything other than mobs that needed to get mowed down). Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the short story featuring Shen. Looks like his granddaughter is going to be a hero in a future expansion?
04/28/2014 05:05 AMPosted by leekonghian

Who or what is the trickster God Zei? As of right now there is no Gods in the D3 lore. People have called Demons, angels, and even Nephalem Gods. Is he a nephalem? A demon? An angel?
hes something else altogether nobody really knows hes obiviously not a angel but at the same time not a demon and obiviously not human hes far too old for that
04/29/2014 02:17 PMPosted by Reslin
04/28/2014 05:05 AMPosted by leekonghian

Who or what is the trickster God Zei? As of right now there is no Gods in the D3 lore. People have called Demons, angels, and even Nephalem Gods. Is he a nephalem? A demon? An angel?
Most of the various cultures on Sanctuary have some sort of mythology that has not been confirmed or denied in-game. Some instances are certainly attributable to the Heavens and Hells, but as the angels and demons do not serve divine powers, it's been been left open as to what the divine powers of the Diablo universe are. The Anu thing is certainly possible, but far from solid fact.
Anyway, Zei is a god worshiped in Xiansian, Shen's land of origin, and Shen himself talks at length about Zei (so I guess you haven't talked to Shen much?). Though RoS pretty much confirmed that Shen is most certainly not just a crazy old man. Though to add to the confusion, they just reused a demon-model in that quest for an important character, so it's still not clear what he is.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Most of the various cultures on Sanctuary have some sort of mythology that has not been confirmed or denied in-game. Some instances are certainly attributable to the Heavens and Hells, but as the angels and demons do not serve divine powers, it's been been left open as to what the divine powers of the Diablo universe are. The Anu thing is certainly possible, but far from solid fact.
Anyway, Zei is a god worshiped in Xiansian, Shen's land of origin, and Shen himself talks at length about Zei (so I guess you haven't talked to Shen much?). Though RoS pretty much confirmed that Shen is most certainly not just a crazy old man. Though to add to the confusion, they just reused a demon-model in that quest for an important character, so it's still not clear what he is.

I know Shen is Zei and I know Zei is worshipped as a God in Xainsai. There's a lot of evidence that points that humans may be confused about their mythology. The beliefs of the characters comes from their experiences/understandings as mortals. Take for example a Nephalem that is extremely powerful. A normal mortal struggle with a single demon so how do you explain a guy who can take on the forces of heaven and hell by the hundreds? A human would see that being as a God.

I heard all of shen's conversations but whether or not he's a god is entirely up to debate. The monks also believe the angels are Gods. The patriarch calls Malthael a God of Death. We know this isn't true. He's an angel. An aspect of death. Humans see the powerful demons/angels and I am 100% aware Shen isn't some crazy old man and never once hinted that might be the case. I'm of the opinion that Shen is a Nephalem, Angel, or demon "disguised as a humble jeweler," We also have in his mythology that he was once chased by the lords of fire and kicked out of heaven. No angel has ever mentioned a "Human" living amongst them. This has not happened and most of human's mythology is suspect at best. Why?

The angels only refer to anu when it comes to "Supreme beings." Inarius used the world stone to create all of sanctuary. The angels have been around and seen a lot more than humans have yet they don't talk about any God aside from Anu and Tathamet, which is their mythology. Why would humans have a better understanding than the angels themselves when humans barely understand the true workings of heaven/hell? In fact, most religions such as the Zakarum etc were CREATED by Angels and their influence.

There's also the fact that they used a demon as a servant of Dirgest. There's absolutely no evidence in favor that mortals are actually correct in that there's numerous gods. When discussing lore from a debate standpoint you need evidence or it's just random conjecture. Evidence points to Zei being a Nephalem, Angel, or Demon. So far there's no evidence for any God aside from Anu.

So I reiterate my question.

Who or what is Zei? Is he a Nephalem, Angel, or God? This thread is about Shen. Shen is Zei so my question can be used as a stand in for Shen. Shen is Zei but what exactly is Shen/Zei?
I think it'd be interesting if a story comes out about shen. I'd root for him to be an angel who took up a mortal form like tyrael.
I bet he's most likely an ancient Nephalem like Rathma and Bul-Kathos, he just hasn't died yet.
well if anyone of you go talk to him in westmarch about everything he will send you on a side quest and you must find a gem and that might change what you think?
he is one of the 56(i think?) god of (i forgot) people from (forgot as well) worship

if i remember right, he is the god of thievery

you can actually find lore book OBVIOUSLY hinting that he is and if that's not enough, just keep talking to him in last act and read and do quest given by him