Open Letter to Chris Metzen

Lore and Story
Prev 1 13 14 15 Next
/signed

DIII felt like an enormous disappointment and borderline waste of my time and money. The story sucked for the obvious reasons, culminating to a just plain awful ending. I'm not sure if it was mismanagement or what, but please, if you're going to get big name voice actors give them a !@#$ing good script and a plot that makes sense or else it is a huge wasted opportunity.

To those saying that there's a lot more depth if you read the books or go to outside sources, please listen to yourself. No one should ever have to go outside the game just to make sense out of it's plot or make it more meaningful. Everything should be clear and executed well within the game because that's what people go by, that's what people spend the most amount of time on in a video game title.

All in all, Chris it's time to step down and let these universes live beyond you. Get people that will respect the original source material which is... Diablo 1/2. DIII is thus far a train wreck.
/signed
Well i think we got heard.The RoS expansion has a new lead writer who's name is Brian Kindregan.

Really happy about that.The writing for vanilla D3 was just terrible.The dialogue was so badly written i couldn't believe some of the cheesy lines.The story telling has to go back to D2 levels.
Well i think we got heard.The RoS expansion has a new lead writer who's name is Brian Kindregan.

Really happy about that.The writing for vanilla D3 was just terrible.The dialogue was so badly written i couldn't believe some of the cheesy lines.The story telling has to go back to D2 levels.

Even with a new lead writer I find it hard to believe that they'll stray too far from the same level of writing the base game had. It would create an odd difference for the player to go through 4 acts of saturday morning cartoon villains and suddenly the 5th act actually has adult, mature writing.
08/24/2013 07:14 PMPosted by AegisJas
Even with a new lead writer I find it hard to believe that they'll stray too far from the same level of writing the base game had. It would create an odd difference for the player to go through 4 acts of saturday morning cartoon villains and suddenly the 5th act actually has adult, mature writing.

Agreed. They seem to have little to no interest in redoing the past four acts, which, to me, suggests that they don't consider them to be a problem.

In my opinion, this indicates that the supposed "change" in tone is mere lip service for the sake of bringing people back. It's clever, and I'm sure it will work, but I don't think we ought to fool ourselves into thinking that Act V will be a vast improvement over the rest of the game. If they truly wanted to make the game better, they would actively fix the story and tone of the first four acts - especially because they have so little to do in this expansion anyway (1 class and some new skills ... really?).

In other words, I'm not sold.

Lord Dreadman
08/24/2013 07:14 PMPosted by AegisJas
The story telling has to go back to D2 levels.

We don't need another story about Diablo running scared from a bunch of mortal heroes.

What we need is a less manichean story where the Evils can be depicted as complex beings rather than shallow villains. Diablo is supposed to be the titular antagonist yet has a paper-thin personality. Blizzard could learn a thing or two from Castlevania, where the recurring bad guy has some depth and understandable reasons to antagonize mankind.
Less dialogue with NPC's, more monologues like in D2 and D1 and the D3 story-wise would've been a ton better.
Kinda agree with the overall sentiment, Blizzard last games stories feel like they 've been pulled out of bad Hollywood blockbuster movies... clichés over clichés, bad character design and stories that are a big "WTF is this **** !?".

Well, see you people in 10-20 years to see in Blizzard has learned their lessons for D4 :-P
Every creative mind needs someone in their life, at some point, to tell them when their !@#$ is turning bad and to keep them in check, and Metzen is probably sitting in a room full of liars right now.

If you just have a bunch of brown-nosers, you're eventually going to think you're the %^-* and you start losing originality because you settle with garbage

This is the very reason good artists and whatnot always seem to be so humble. You can't expand your mind if you already think you're !@#$ing Picasso.
09/07/2013 06:23 AMPosted by Jocke
This is the very reason good artists and whatnot always seem to be so humble. You can't expand your mind if you already think you're !@#$ing Picasso.

I don't recall Chris Metzen ever bragging about his writing talent. In fact, he once jokingly referred to himself as a "one-to-three trick poney".
/signed
Forum guidelines:

• Do not "bump" posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called "necro bumping" or "necroing").

• Petition posts are frowned upon.

These are discussion forums and, as such, we ask that you hold discussions. Creating a thread to ask for replies as votes is not a discussion. Threads violating this guideline are subject to deletion.
  • http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3074647453
    Man I wish I ran this forum so I could infract the initial post and every /signed post as the spam it rightfully is.

Newsflash, kids: Diablo's backstory has never been all that great, from the very beginning. There's certainly a *lot* of it, and I loved that stuff in the Diablo 1 manual (Tal Rasha, Izual, Belial, etc.) actually played out in D2 and much later in D3. But narrative quality this isn't. It's fantasy fluff, tasty filler that does what filler should do in games; exist without negatively affecting the game mechanics.

Your overbearing love for the Blizzard lore of old is unchecked nostalgia. It's rose-colored glasses while looking at something with a huge bloom filter to hide its ugly wrinkles. From WarCraft to Diablo, the overall MO of Blizzard storytelling is as filled with "corruption" and "redemption" and Blizzard's own flavor of high fantasy as it always was.

Since I realize a bunch of you lack the reading comprehension to take this as exactly what it is and are totally fabricating strawmen as we speak, rest assured, I like a lot about Blizzard storytelling. In the same way I like 80s cartoons and narrative nonsense like the Metal Gear series: from the standpoint of a dude looking on something wholly silly and enjoying the silliness.
    09/27/2013 07:53 PMPosted by Langis
    Man I wish I ran this forum so I could infract the initial post and every /signed post as the spam it rightfully is.

Well, the OP was in his right to express his opinions in the form of an open letter.

The real problem is that people who agreed with it were not content with simply liking it and had to incessantly bump it, thus turning the thread into a blatant petition.
    A new head writer? Can we dream?

D3's story, dialogue and characters were just so bad...I really hope they can redeem themselves.
    /signed
    /signed

The story of D3 wasn't too bad, I just think it was rushed, the acts were uneven both in terms of content and story. The story in Reaper of Sould however is just very bad in my opinion.

The acts weren't particularly even in D2 either, and maybe beacuse I played so much it feels much better there. While the art for D3 was amazing, I never had the same wow feeling in any of the zones (apart from the later parts of Act III maybe and some of the Act V zones), but nothing close to how Lut Gholein, The Arcane Sanctuary as well as the Monastery, Act IV or Travincal felt at their time, again maybe a biased oppinion here. Overall while I don't agree with some of the decisions taken lorewise (character classes, zones, quests, bosses) I feel that is less important compared to the fact that in my mind, even with the support from the Book of Cain and the Book of Tyrael as well as the other books such as the Sin Wars trilogy, the elements of the story don't seem to tie in well with one another.

I think it is too late to change the atmosphere of D3, and again I don't think it's that bad everything considered, however if it were up to me - I think the pace of the game should change. The gameplay is exquisite, probably the smoothest combat system in an RPG right now but because of the fast pace of the game, the story does not have the right rythm - considering there is the choice now - to do adventure mode for leveling, adding content to the normal and expansion campaign in order to slow down the pace just a little bit and tie together the various threads of the story better would be the best course of action in my mind. As always if the game seems a little harder, a little slower and a bit more rich, adding in long, high-quality cinematics with a dark atmosphere like in D1 or D2 would also have a higher impact -(as was suggested at the begining of this thread - take a look at those amazing D2 cinematics again ). The cutscenes between the acts right now are lack-luster compared to D2 and the fast pace of the game lowers their impact further. I'm sure there is a lot of effort put into the cinematics I think the choices both in terms of what you are showing as well as the context are not the best here (rather then the artwork).

D2 is the best game I ever played and because of that D3 is a huge disappointment for me. I know it's unfair to the new developers who put a lot of work into D3 and it may not change however much effort they put into the game now. Nevertheless I wanted to give my honest oppinion here, and my suggestions, I realise D3 will not be D2 but like the bad alpha for Starcraft 1 made Blizzard create the awesome Starcraft 1 and Brood War that we love today, I think finding the right pace and rythm for storytelling here is well worth it in order to keep the Diablo franchise not only a profitable one, as I'm sure it still is, but a work of art that will be remembered by generations of players.
    04/14/2014 05:47 AMPosted by piMentat
    /signed

You.. do realize that Chris is no longer the writer right?
    I remember reading this 2 years ago. Not only does it still hold true but I'm making some connections like the godawful cataclysm ending matching how angels are towards humanity now. It was a sickening cinematic then and it's sickening to see in this game. I've only watched most D3 cinematics once and spacebar skipped through them since because I can't bear to watch them again.
    Yes omg. The storys are nothing compared to Diablo 1 or 2 same with SC1 sc2 story pales by millleessss