Open Letter to Chris Metzen

Lore and Story
Prev 1 6 7 8 15 Next
Do any reliable sources support the claims that Blizzard had corroboration and/or legal trouble with Games Workshop? I've often seen that connection mentioned, but only through unsubstantiated hearsay - like a sort of gaming urban legend.
signed

just go to youtube and compare

Warcraft 3 campaign dialogues and Diablo 3 dialouges
/signed
/signed

Listening to the story unfold made me feel like I was reading a children's book... yet it's a rated M game. Let me give you some examples:

Butcher: "Vegetable bad. Meat good"

Leah: *finds her mother being held by demons* "Leave her alone!"

Diablo: "Look Tyrael, your old lieutenant!" I'd like to point out the tone of Diablo's voice, which makes the line sound more like "Awwwww, look Tyrael, isn't that cute? It's your old lieutenant!"

Diablo: "If you kill my hell rift, my Terror will consume you!" Really?! Wtf is that? "Hey, stop that! If you do that, I'm going to hurt you really bad!"

Perhaps this was done on purpose to make the game a little more comical. But it's not comical when you ruin the story entirely.

Ridiculous. Fire whoever did this.

I'm extremely disappointed.

Exactly! Why in hell would you want to make D3 comical? It dont work and has never worked. The movie industry is moving away from that. Nobody liked Terminator 3 which was full of that crap. It sucked and wasnt funny.
06/20/2012 09:23 PMPosted by Egrem
Do any reliable sources support the claims that Blizzard had corroboration and/or legal trouble with Games Workshop? I've often seen that connection mentioned, but only through unsubstantiated hearsay - like a sort of gaming urban legend.

WC1 was supposed to be a Warhammer Fantasy game. GW pulled out and Blizzard finished it and called it Warcraft.

There is no legal problems between them and I believe the Blizzard team, way back post SC launch, thanked GW for not sueing them over Starcraft, given how similar the Terrans are to the 40k Marines and the Zerg are very close to the Tyranids.

So obviously GW didn't care.
Also, aren't the Protoss a bit like the Eldars themselves?
06/21/2012 07:14 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
Also, aren't the Protoss a bit like the Eldars themselves?

Eh. Sort've. They've got the psychic aspect to them, the advanced tech and the xenophobia, but those aren't really unique to the Eldar. The Eldar weren't as tribal, nor as 'honor' driven as the Protoss were/are and the entire plot point of the Eldar was that they were a slowly dying out breed, rather than the Protoss who were going strong.

I'd say they LOOK more like the Tau, but the Tau were only introduced into 40k in 2001/2002 and SC was released in 1998.

This might be some sort of cross-game pseudo game-incest here. With Starcraft being influenced by WArhammer40k but then 40k became influenced by Starcraft... and then th- ohnoi'vegonecrosseyed.
I get the feeling that Games Workshop may be regretting their decision, as no Warhammer game ever got even remotely close to match Blizzard games in terms of polish, quality and popularity.
/signed
It seems World of Warcraft has really lowered the bar for storytelling, you're telling a story to the masses, rather than making a deeply rich story like previous games.
+1
The story is horrible, the ominous nature of the villians is ruined by their cliche blabber mouthing, the characters are forgettable, the plot is predictable and also cliche.
/signed

Though I suspect Metzen isn't entirely to blame. I mean, it's a really, really big difference in quality, perhaps Metzen just did the main story and left the dialogue en smaller things to a less experienced writer? What do you guys think?
/signed with great vengeance!
It kind of sad to see the story of D3 when you see how good the last book was...
:sadface:

Still hope that they come up with something amazing with the expension.
signed
/signed