Open Letter to Chris Metzen

Lore and Story
Prev 1 7 8 9 15 Next
This guy.... This guy ruined my trilogy!
/agreed
It's not even that the story is bad, it's just so...disorganized. I understand why many plot elements were introduced (the Black Soulstone and how the Primes were "tagged", Cain's death, Tyrael's fall from grace, etc.), they were just executed very sloppily.

I think I've mentioned it here before, but the overall sense is that the story was slapped together by several people, in separate room, and they didn't get together to collaborate and smooth things out. I'd like to think this is because they were rushed toward the end. Because the alternative is that they simply didn't care about the quality of the product they were releasing, and that would be a tragedy.

:(
/signed

I also think there were no depth in this story at all.
I agreed with all negatives above.

Also I would like to say something about boss fights. There should be epic, but weren't even "not so bad".

Act I - why you made presentation of Butcher like it was some wrestling fight? it should be some dark room, with a blood and bodies and one scary "Fresh meat" from nowhere.. and then Butcher should attack us.

Act II - As someone said, Belial lies like two years old child. Second part of fight was very good, I liked it. But before there should be more of Belial illusions, and one of them should be Decard Cain - Yes this is the moment when he should died, killed by us when we thought he was a Lord of Lies.

Act III - This fight is shortes from all. There should be something more to show how great tactican Azmodan was, I think that every 25% HP loss he should send on us a horde of monsters with champions/elite.

Act IV - I think that was only retty good fight in all game. But.. Diablo was the Prime Evil, it should be shown more of others Demon Lord powers, to made it feel we don't fight only with Lord of Terror but with the others 6 also.
Chris,

I've been playing Blizzard games since 1994 with Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and have bought every single title since.

I read every page of the manual(s) for Warcraft 1&2, Diablo, Starcraft, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, etc. and have always enjoyed the storylines which were well written (at least up until Warcraft 3 but even Warcraft 3 wasn't poorly written, it just took a sharp turn for PG-13, which is okay)

You have brought us three amazing IPs and are one of the most influential figures in creating the Blizzard empire. You're also an amazing artist, and frankly are the father of the worlds we love.

But it is time to pass the torch to some different writers. The quality of writing - especially dialogue - has become really bad. It isn't your fault - one man can't be expected to churn out non-stop quality material for three different universes and one of those being an MMO with constant content additions.

You're currently surrounded by sycophants because you're a big wig at Blizzard and nobody wants to get in a political battle - so please, listen to us fans on this one, or better yet - take a look at the cinematics and dialogue from Diablo 2 (especially the one with Baal) and compare them to what we have now.

Thanks,

Warcraft 3 had a GREAT story. Arthas, Grom.. ugh. This is what we got with Diablo 3? Incompetent cartoon villains?
When a writer can create plot and dialogue so horrible for a game that didn't even need much plot to begin that the elements becomes so jarring due to the stupidity and cringeworthiness...It's time for him/her to move to a another field. Seriously.
/signed

I actually liked the Marius character. He was basically us in the Diablo universe. He gave the perspective of an ordinary man who had to confront supernatural horrors. The scene where he witnesses the three evils opening the portal to hell is hilarious. You see a grown man crying (and he should be) when handed the task of smashing Baal's soulstone on the hellforge.
Diablo III cinematics are pretty good.

Diablo III NPC dialogue and storyline was hit and miss.

The ending of Diablo III..... SUCKED. It didn't tease us with a cliffhanger like Diablo II and it was a happy smiley, really corny, light defeats darkness, cliche ending.
07/21/2012 10:44 AMPosted by Mooshfu
I actually liked the Marius character. He was basically us in the Diablo universe. He gave the perspective of an ordinary man who had to confront supernatural horrors. The scene where he witnesses the three evils opening the portal to hell is hilarious. You see a grown man crying (and he should be) when handed the task of smashing Baal's soulstone on the hellforge.

And what else, Diablo 2 was so good, we usually overlook the fact that Baal's soul wasn't even in the stone--the stone couldn't hold it, that's why they had to do the underground prison thing, and that's why removing the stone didn't cause him to revert like Albrecht at the end of Diablo 1. Smashing the stone wouldn't've killed Baal.
/signed

Listening to the story unfold made me feel like I was reading a children's book... yet it's a rated M game. Let me give you some examples:

Butcher: "Vegetable bad. Meat good"

Leah: *finds her mother being held by demons* "Leave her alone!"

Diablo: "Look Tyrael, your old lieutenant!" I'd like to point out the tone of Diablo's voice, which makes the line sound more like "Awwwww, look Tyrael, isn't that cute? It's your old lieutenant!"

Diablo: "If you kill my hell rift, my Terror will consume you!" Really?! Wtf is that? "Hey, stop that! If you do that, I'm going to hurt you really bad!"

Perhaps this was done on purpose to make the game a little more comical. But it's not comical when you ruin the story entirely.

Ridiculous. Fire whoever did this.

I'm extremely disappointed.

/signed

Act 3/4 Storyline:

"You'll never destroy the catapults/hell rifts!"

"OK, you destroyed the catapults/hell rifts but I don't care at all."

"You'll never defeat me!"

"You've defeated me and now I care."

Credits
/signed
/signed

D3's story was extremely disappointing compared to the rest of the series, it seemed very repetitive and shallow. All of blizzards games have been been increasingly catering to casual gamers and this was EXTREMELY evident in horse!@#$ cut scenes designed to educate a preschooler on the choices of morality. [SPOILER] I did think adra's betrayal through leah and the addition of nephalems were genius, but these were just ruined.

And whos idea was it to have the diablo chick just keep saying "tear or" over and over?
/signed

I also think there were no depth in this story at all.
I agreed with all negatives above.

Also I would like to say something about boss fights. There should be epic, but weren't even "not so bad".

Act I - why you made presentation of Butcher like it was some wrestling fight? it should be some dark room, with a blood and bodies and one scary "Fresh meat" from nowhere.. and then Butcher should attack us.

Act II - As someone said, Belial lies like two years old child. Second part of fight was very good, I liked it. But before there should be more of Belial illusions, and one of them should be Decard Cain - Yes this is the moment when he should died, killed by us when we thought he was a Lord of Lies.

Act III - This fight is shortes from all. There should be something more to show how great tactican Azmodan was, I think that every 25% HP loss he should send on us a horde of monsters with champions/elite.

Act IV - I think that was only retty good fight in all game. But.. Diablo was the Prime Evil, it should be shown more of others Demon Lord powers, to made it feel we don't fight only with Lord of Terror but with the others 6 also.

+1 internets
All of these are great ideas
specifically A2, forcing us to kill decard would have made me !@#$ myself
I think the story would have been awesome if it ended in your character going to a dance party in heaven. Imagine angels pouring you beer and the special lighting effects they would have? I don't care if humanity is safe, I want to see a BIG dance party!

Here's an example. Watch the last "lame and horrible" video game ending at 2:50.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6jWq1YJXkY
/signed

D3 story (after taking completely cheap Cain turn in Act I and sadly predictable Kulle turn in Act II) finally collapses in Act III with "hells greatest tactician" telling the player his every move. It continues to be collapsed in Act IV with main game antagonist being stripped of every mystery and intrigue, dumbed down to being a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Ending was... ugh, no comment..
Everything that went public before game went out made us expecting to see the final stage of burning hells plot to overcome in the eternal conflict. None who played first two games expected this kind of plot, told in this manner.
One of the main aspects of the whole franchise to be botched like this.
Complete and utter shame.
diablo 3's story was not as ridiculously cheesy/cliched as starcraft 2's...

starcraft 2 lacked any sort of focus or character development, and every character was cookie cutter
/signed
I don't know much about the Warcraft Universe (Warcraft 2 was the only one that I ever played), but the story in Diablo 2 was very good. I see no real contradictions in the story, and the story itself was well developed. Every Diablo game was better than the previous one. If you see a problem in the Diablo storyline, post it here and I'll respond.
^ typo: I meant to say "the story in Diablo 3 is very good".
I hated Diablo 2's story, aka "Where in Sanctuary is Carmen San Diablo" narrated by a random senile hobo. Even Torchlight's simplistic narrative managed to be more compelling than that. Video games stories in general should be fun and rewarding; not depressing and frustrating.

Also, WarCraft III was far more complex and mature than its predecessors: it was no longer goofy evil Orcs versus cheesy heroic humans. That was a welcome change and made things less manichean.

So, not signed.

WC3 was probably the pinnacle of Blizzard gaming: Four well balanced races each with their own "styles", histories and plausable backstories for each unique character and the unit types under their command.

The story? Untouchable. Characters like Thrall and Maive storm out onto the scene with a purpose and a reason for being there...and then they keep in character and conduct business for several acts and through several branching and re-converging story arcs. Shifting goals, changing alliances, real character development, and plot twists made for two fantastic games which built off the previous three. Also, like one poster mentioned, at least back then they had the courtsey to include a manual and book with the game. Companies in America have been founded on customer service and where it is lacking you see people turning away in droves...often without even knowing why other than the "vibe" changed.

Gameplay? Heck, forget about Diablo for a sec., just compare WC3 to SC2 and you'll find that the former was far more dynamic and varied than the later. Items? Spells? Skills? Armor and Weapon types? Nunna. At least in Diablo you can have some variety, but it's too one-size-fits-all. Use what you're comfortable with and that's that, no need to change skills. No need to use fire one moment and ice the next. No monsters that're immune to lightning but get whooped by earth or anything like that. Need to change weapons in game? Nope, just get whatever does the most dmg at that moment and that's that.

Sidequests? Forget about it with Diablo. I wish there were a way to expand things. Have class only quests, such as a unique quest for the Barb, a unique on for the DH and so on. Have gender specific quests, one for male the other for female. Have quests where you're required to take along your Scoundrel, Templar or Enchantress...develop those characters. Heck, maybe some players would like to see Kingsport instead of just hearing about it. Much of Sanctuary is still un/underexplored. Rexxar and Chen Stormstout had more development than the average Diablo character.