Black rock ledger, finding a use v1.0

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
ok so this thread started with my theory of black rock ledgers being related to the lyceum . but it got flushed down the drain :( thanks to Makya and Lacerta for pinpointing the info that blizzard confirmed the Lyceum bugged 9 hours after my original thread .

Now this thread is about gathering ideas or any info so we can make new theories and how to farm the ledgers ( bottom of this post ) , we are also trying to figure out if they could be used with other items . I try to keep this original post updated .

WE do know the ledgers are related to Lost , we do know the clipper and nine toe is related to another game no need to post it every 5 mins LOL

OK lots of ppl criticize our thread saying omg you ppl are dumb trying to figure it all , it's like the d2 chat gem , they're pulling a lost on you ... blah , blah blah ... so first thing first d2 gem really ??? look at the bottom of this page and press the little blue gem and guess what !!! TADA , D3 gem :P
as for pulling a lost on us , quite possible . it is also possible that it's only for a later update or expansion ... but the whole fun of this thread is speculating and having fun doing so ... as someone wrote on this thread .. I LOVE BEING OBSESSED !!! and let's not forget this thread was also rated as " INSANELY FUN " Bwahhh hahaha :D

thread 2.0 under construction
Black Rock Ledger , finding a use v2.0

Possible items to use with the Ledgers :
( i added the 6 weapons (including the Oar ) that have lore but are not legendary )
( look at the end of the post how to find them )

- The splintered oar :
From Kingsport to Kurast we sail. From Lut Gholein to Skovos we roam. When the wind's not blowing, we'll row our damned way home!" -The Sea Trader's Song ( thx Ojikori for mentioning this item )
( ledger 4 refers to Kingston ... )

-griswold's worn edge :
" a well-made sword worn down from countless battles . the symbol of the famous blacksmith griswold is etched into the blade "
(ramiel: ledger 23 refers to madness and desert , griswold firend the dark wanderer ...)

-rakanishu's blade :
" Rakanishu , lord of the fallen, drove his minions to frenzied battle. they could often be heard scremaing his name as they rushed head long to their deaths.
(Ramiel : ledger 15 refers to a curse , rakanishu is cursed ...)

-wirt's original leg:
"once belonging to a disgruntled lad name wirt , this leg was amputated after he suffered grievous wounds at the hands of demonic torturers near the town of tristram . "
( ledger 8 refers to a leg ...)

-The Clipper :
" don't drop it ..... might lose a toe . "
( clipper was a very fast sailing ship of the 19th century used for trading ...... the Black Rock is a Clipper !!!! yay we got ourselves a boat !!!! )

(ramiel : ledger 16 speaks of a ship , Kyrael all the ledgers are referring to a boat...)

- Spectrum :
" this fantastical blade is the physical manifestation of unicorn smiles , bright rainbow colors, shooting star wishes and teddy bear giggles "
( ledger 42 refers to giggles ....)

-Secret dungeon map ... did anyone ever found it ?
http://www.diablowiki.com/Secret_Dungeon_Map

Okay here are the others theories to test :)

and so many I don't have time to post or that are to long :( look through the thread there are some amazing ideas :)

ok need to clean it a bit , so now for every theory I will put it in this format :
1- first person to bring it up
2- the theory , resume
3- data gathered ...
4- tests and results ( I just realized that some test might have been false ... since you need to have cleared a difficulty before you can open whimsy , it would be wise to test the theories on a cleared difficulty also )

1-cuth
2-In lost, the black rock crashed into a giant statue, I believe it looked like an Egyptian god? its been a while, anyways, after the crash, all that remained of the statue was its foot, and there was a secret door at this foots statue.
3- akros : Like the bridge at Highlands Crossing?
-lhead :http://user.xmission.com/~mfderr/pics/Highland%20Crossing.jpg
4-

1- ? can't remember sorry in a bit of a hurry :(((
2- mass grave
3-
4- tested by Malveus Tested Mass Grave carrying 6 pages, oar, and wirt's original leg with no result.

1-Bits
2-Kingsport.... anyone try equipping the scoundrel with the Oar? he's from kingsport no?
3-
4- he can't equip a 2h sword

1-me :) Kyrael
2- the secret goblin level again !!! theres an achievement called greed over need that you get after killing 100 goblins , maybe then we can click the portal
3- doubtful since theres no revelant data
4-

1- Inspyrd
2- north of Soulstone chamber seems like there is a deactivated portal , ( soulstone is a blackrock and kule was taken to the shadow world , smoke monsters ? )
3-
4- tested by snowyowl , 6 L , oar and nighstaff of herding , no results

1- sikin
2- A rare dungeon on the road leading north from Tristram, the dungeon is a hole under a tree with hung dead bodies and when you enter the dungeon it is just a round hole with 4 zombies that spawn
3-
4- tested by snowyowl , with 6l and oar , no results

1- Ariah
2- chamber of lost idol , appears in stinging wind .( really??? I can't believe we didnt think of that b4 LOL !!! )
3-there is a chamber of lost idol
4-

1- reaver1912
2- The only difference is that this pages relate to an item you need to find, as an example page 4 relates to the " Splintered Oar" sword that is found in Kingsport. As a note to this the first ledger page points that they left from Kingsport. So all this is basically a riddle that points to an item. I havent studied them closely but I'm sure it is not that complicated every page should point to a location where you would need to farm an item. The interesting part is what happens once you acquire all the items. I think the background story found on the items will tell you what to do with them.
3- funny , there is 6 weapons with lore that always drops in the same places ... will keep you informed , updated in possible items to use

1-Malveus
2- Near the first piece of the sword in the fields of goatmen, a random dungeon spawns called "LOST MINE".Inside this dungeon, there's an npc merchant that asks you to help him find a couple things and will do business with you once you do.The picture of this NPC during conversation looks quite a bit like John Locke from the show Lost, and it was mentioned in the ledger pages that they were on a mining expedition.
3- apparently if you complete the sub quest precious ore , he will sell to you
4- nothing particular happens with 6L and oar

1- ImaRiskIt and me ,
2-page 15 talks about "mining expedition" , page 4 talks about kingsport . is it related to Covetous Shen jewel ? he gives the Kingsport bill and he's looking for a jewel
3- there is no jewel in the game , doesn't seem to exist yet
4-

1- Yasker
2- Secret Goblin Level , clicking on the Goblin will bring you to the lord of the goblin kingdom
3- there is no "Greed" (the lord of the goblins) named monster
4- I clicked on it with 6 p and the oar , no results

1- shadowomnier and nontoxic99
2 - Dungeon where the mercs talks about monsters giggling at us (see page 42 ) don't remember which -Also in the vault of assassins, the templar and myself talk about being lucky enough to find some forgotten text.
3-
4-

1-Iceshine ,
2- in lost the island is found with a lampost located underneath a church . there's a destructible lamp post in act 1 .
3-
4-tested by snowyowl , 6 L , oar equipped , no results

1-anthology
2-there is a second cow corpse at the Old Ruins that is ALWAYS there in the same spot.
3-
4-

1-Anthology and me
2-There's a special Jewel Crafting Recipe that can be made via these to counteract the one the Blacksmith has that allows for another secret level at the cow corpse I mentioned above.
the ledger pages do have the same picture in inventory as the jewelers
3- there is no special design for the jeweler
4-

1-bobert13
2-Try activating the Ancient Device located atop a hill in the Desolate sands with all 6 Ledger entries in your inventory. There's a portal pillar up there an NPC, his dead brother, and an activator.
3-
4- ( tested with 6 pages, no results ) and iit's highly doubtful since its for the wheel of misfortune achievement.

1 - Doktare `s wife :) :
2-In act 2 there are sometimes big black funnel clouds that follow you around. In lost there is a big black smoke creature!
Someone with all the pages try to interact with the black funnel cloud!
3-
4- Успешный tested it and nothing changed , perhaps with the oar???

1- me :) Kyrael
2- a secret lvl within a secret lvl ???
3-
4-tried with 6p and oar , no results

1- Ramenth :
2- If memory serves there's an island tileset that's also in game from a cut area
3-
4-

1- me again :)
2- Skovos Isles . seems interesting and doubtful but hey we are here to speculate :) last info I could find about it is that Blizz said it wasn't in the game in 2008 .
need to look up kingsport too .
3-
4-

1- most of us :)
2- looking for clues in the ledgers , the first letter spells `DHARMA` (thx Miraa )
perhaps the numbers of each page is a clue (number of letters , words ? )
3-
4-

1-greendude
2-Im gonna find the ship again using the 6 pages to see if a hatch doesnt open
3-
4-I tested it with 6 pages and the oar , no results

1-Greendude
2-lost chest , southern highland act 1 , many say they cant open it , many say they can
will test it this morning myself .just to confirm
3-
4-(tested by greendude , nothing special about the chest )

1- Darkwun
2- What if we have to press " 4 8 15 16 23 42" somewhere like Desmond did in LOST
3-
4-

the ledgers
( thanks Mudhollan for posting it in this thread :) )

Damn, I always thought that being a first mate would be more exciting. I guess i shouldn't expect much from a mining expedition. Ever since we set off from Kingsport, all I've done is sit out on deck and watch the deckhands argue.

Haven't been able to get much sleep these past few days. Apparently my sea legs aren't as sturdy as i thought they'd be. I've vomited more times than i can count, and every time Captain Hanso offers me some ale, I have to come up with some excuse to decline.

after three straight days of this storm, I'm almost convinced that this ship has some sort of curse on it. Each week brings some new trouble that i have to deal with. I'm not sure what will give out first, the ship... Or me.

Reyes tells me that it was some colossal wave that did the ship in. I was down below when it all happened. Several of us survived the wreck. The rest of them have gone off to try and figure out where the hell we are, as if any of that matters.

Madness, complete bloody madness. The captain has disappeared into the desert somewhere, and the rest of the survivors are convinced there's some sort of monster after us. I'm starting to think the crewmen that died in the wreck got the easy way out, lucky bastards.

All the rest of them are dead now... I'm the only one left. Strange deformed creatures attacked the wreck, where most of us were sleeping. I managed to get away safely... but i don't imagine it will be that way for long. I can hear them... Giggling in the shadows, like this is some kind of game.

First Mate McMahon.

have fun !!!

thank you all for making my very first thread so interesting :)))
and i`m really sorry if some of my sentences don`t make much sense , i`m french :)

info and how to farm the ledger ,

the ledgers can be found at any difficulty , they are account bound but you can trade them by dropping them on the floor ( i didn't test it )

Act II the City of Blood mission - go through the kasim outpost east gate
you are now in the east Stinging Wind and just had a checkpoint to reappear 3 seconds away from where you want to go !!!
- go to your right , the second rock could be the ship (thx Damian )
- go to the southwestern corner the big rock could be the ship ( thx Thalack )
- There are other spawn points , at least 3 more but running those 2 should take about 45 to 60 seconds to run , flush and reload ( it personally took me 7 hours to get them all , some ppl say it took them 2 hours and less , plz be patient and this is not a bragging competition and don`t get discourage !!! )

thanks to Успешный for a pic of the run we do :
http://s019.radikal.ru/i606/1205/23/b71bd6d07677.jpg

Lore Items how to find them :
( just starting it , might be missing specific quest to find them or it could be found in multiple difficulties )

Splintered Oar : lvl 50 , 2H sword
hell , act 1 , event after talking to the ferry man in Act 1 (hell) , in front of Wortham Cathedral , 1 of the 3 special mobs

The Clipper : lvl 14 , 1h dagger
normal ? , act 2 , desolate sands
The Unique monster "Nine Toads, Terror of the Borderlands"
found while looking for Zoltun Kulles' blood. When we entered the desolate sands we ran into a champion called "Nine-Toads"

Griswold Worn Edge : lvl 1 , 1h sword
normal , act 1 , old tristram
will spawn on an anvil

rakanishu's blade : lvl 16 , 1h sword
normal , act 2 , dahlgur oasis,
used for bashanishu achievement

wirt's original leg : lvl 5 , 1h mace
normal , act 1 , den of the fallen lvl2 , bishibop corpse

Spectrum : lvl 30 , 1h sword
normal ? apparently could be in nm , unique monster Creampuff , in whimsyshire
ok everyone so here are the facts

- no one knows what is the use of the black rock ledger (6 pages)
- no one found the Lyceum
- in WOW The Lyceum is located within the Blackrock

so i'm gonna try to find all 6 pages and see if I can locate the lyceum with them if anyone wants to test this theory feel free to post the results here :)

have fun !!!

The Lyceum is located inside Blackrock Depths, and is accessible from the Summoners' Tomb.

.......D2 Summoners Tomb????

The numbers are clearly a Lost reference, but you could be right OP.
Blackrock is also the sunken pirate ship in Lost.
He has a point and a valid theory.

Collect all the pages, perhaps even put them in proper order in your inventory and then go to the Southern Highlands and see if the Lyceum will spawn open for you.
Where do these pages drop? Random mobs?
05/25/2012 08:40 AMPosted by Bluntski
Where do these pages drop? Random mobs?

I'm pretty sure they drop around that pirate ship that randomly spawns in the Act II desert. I forget which area.
I only have 1 page and it did dropped around the ship in "stinging wing " act 2
Yeah I had wondered something similar after reading a post about WoW somewhere (I don't play WoW) so I didn't realize the connection exactly, but this does make sense, the relations are just too convenient to be a coincidence, and there is no way after all those hundreds of tries people have made doing runs for the lyceum that it's simply just a random spawning dungeon. I'll be giving this a try today, let you know if I come up with something, I'll check back to see if you guys figured it out yet :)
For those trying to farm the ship for the ledger pages, do Act II the City of Blood and the quest the East gate, just move a little right past the first rock and the ship should spawn there, if it didn't spawn, kill the enemies until you can leave the game safely and just click resume game, rinse and repeat until you have found all the pieces :)
Sorry to burst your bubble... I read this theory here and had to try it out.

Southern Highlands, not in the:
- Khazra Pyre
- Abandoned Servants House
- Closed Servants House
- Cultist 'Meeting'
05/25/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Damian
For those trying to farm the ship for the ledger pages, do Act II the City of Blood and the quest the East gate, just move a little right past the first rock and the ship should spawn there, if it didn't spawn, kill the enemies until you can leave the game safely and just click resume game, rinse and repeat until you have found all the pieces :)

thanks Damian i`ll update ,my original post
I'm sure it could spawn in other locations as well, I just found this quicker for me, rather than searching the hole desert every time.
Okay, maybe there's a hint in the text on the black rock ledger:

Damn, I always thought that being a first mate would be more exciting. I guess i shouldnt expect much from a mining expedition. Ever since we set off from Kingsport, all I've done is sit out on deck and watch the deckhands argue.

Havent been albe to get much sleep these past few days. Apparently my sea legs arent as sturdy as i thought they'd be. I've vomited more times than i can count, and every time Catain Hanso offers me some ale, I have to come up with some excuse to decline.

after three straight days of this storm, I'm almost convinced that this ship has some sort of curse on it. Each week brings some new trouble that i have to deal with. I'm not sure what will give out first, the ship... Or me.

Reyes tells me that it was some colossal wave that did the ship in. I was down below when it all happened. Several of us survived the wreck. The rest of them have gone off to try and figure out where the hell we are, as if any of that matters.

Madness, complete bloody madness. The captain has disappeared into the desert somewhere, and the rest of the survivors are convinced theere's some sort of monster after us. I'm starting to think the crewmen that died in the wreck got the easy way out, lucky bastards.

All the rest of them are dead now... I'm the only one left. Strange deformed creatures attacked the wreck, where most of us were sleeping. I managed to get away safely... but i dont imagine it will be that way for long. I can hear them... Giggling in the shadows, like this is some kind of game.

First Mate McMahon.
I just found it in a different spot as well, so I can confirm it spawns in various locations for sure, I'm searching just east of the Kahsim outpost, in the stinging winds, not sure if it spawns on the other side (before you enter the Kahsim outpost) as well though, if anyone has seen it there let everyone know.
05/25/2012 10:55 AMPosted by Damian
I just found it in a different spot as well, so I can confirm it spawns in various locations for sure, I'm searching just east of the Kahsim outpost, in the stinging winds, not sure if it spawns on the other side (before you enter the Kahsim outpost) as well though, if anyone has seen it there let everyone know.

I just got the ship for the first time, in the farthest southwest point after kashim outpost.
Yeah that was the spot I found it the second time, I got all 6 pages and I only ever found the ship just to the right a bit after exiting the kahsim outpost, and to the south west portion of the map after the Kahsim outpost (directly south upon going up the stairs to leave the outpost).
and another ship, this time west of kashim outpost...but again in the southwestern most corner of the map.