9600M GT 512/9400M 256 = 3fps every 5 seconds

Mac Technical Support
I updated my post above but I want to draw attention to this thread:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150762838

Closing Agent from activity monitor after the game is running immediately stops the framerate drops for me.

Closing Agent from activity monitor after the game is running immediately stops the framerate drops for me.
Please let me know if this resolves the intermittent frame rate issues.

I tried this but it did not solve the dipping frame-rate issue.
I have the same problem on my MBP 17" 9600M GT 512MB from mid 2009. I have tried all suggestion found on this forum, but no matter what I do, changing the resolution from 1920 to 1200 to 800, changing texture quality. It's always the same problem, the first 5 or 10 minutes the game works great even on 1920x1200 with high textures, then it's starts to slow down, framedrops from 20 a 30 to 3 a 5 fps for about a second every 5 a 10 seconds.

Quiting the game and starting it up again makes it work again for another 5 or 10 minutes. It's not a temperature problem, while running the game the CPU stays below 90C and the GPU is around 75C, all well within the margins.

Hope this bug gets fixed soon, currently playing the starters edition to see how my MBP would handle the game before buying the full game, it runs really well until the bugs starts to happen so hopefully this gets resolved soon so that I can enjoy the rest of the game for many years to come!

Nope, didn't help at all for me.
When I open and close the lid. Frame rates are going up from 5-6 to 20...
Can't wait to see what this patch does. For the most part things I had done helped but it was just not ideal and reliable.
Well that didn't help. I mean I can see times where the performance is much improved but the fps spikes are still there.

It looks to me like they might have just toned down the FX graphics or something but I don't really think that is it. Something tells me it might be the BAR because I noticed one day everything was fine and then I changed a skill and WHAM, low fps. I'll look into that more and see if I can narrow it down to a spell or something.
Precisely the same issue here. Following the patch, when frame rates are high the game is massively smoother than before. Unfortunately after a while it settles into the framerate loop described in the OP - 30fps or so with momentary dips to 10fps or less, before stabilising for another 15 seconds or so before another momentary dip. Honestly, if anything, it's more annoying than the consistent, if somewhat slow, FPS rates I was getting before.

10.7.4, fully-loaded 2010 13" MBA - 4GB, 2.13GHz, running 1280x800 on an external display.
Same problem with my wife's computer... was really hoping the patch would fix it.
I have tracked this issue for years now (in SC2 and now D3).

If actions speak louder than words, then let me tell you: Blizzard does nothing. They are constantly buying time by saying they will look into it and forward it to their team.

I repeated: This issue has been here for years. It doesn't happen when playing in Windows (bootcamp), it happens in both SC2 and D3, it isen't really effected by graphics settings, it's repeated lag spikes like OP describe.

Blizzard will do nothing (even if they say they will) they are just prolonging peoples patience until our minority finally updates our hardware or become silent (stop playing their game), and as I already said twice, they have done this for many years already so why would it ever change?

(I think they have requested more data, and forwarded feedback about this issue to their team like 30 times already throughout the years).
I finally managed to find out what the hell is wrong with this. It's basically just one problem, apple uses old drivers in osx - and there is no way to get the current nvidia drivers installed. I figured this out after installing CS:GO which has exactly the same FPS drop problem - making it unplayable. So i decided to try it using bootcamp on Windows 7, because it is indeed possible to update the drivers on Windows. And tadaa - no more FPS drops, I can play on full resolution using low details now. No problems any more and stable fps.

My Machine:

Mac Book Pro - early 2009
8 GB Ram
Nvidia 9600m GT
OSX Lion

As far as I can see, we can not blame Blizzard for this - it's more a driver related problem that Apple should fix (but never will). So I will just stay with bootcamp for future gaming stuff.

Here is how to update the drivers on Windows 7:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3366224?start=0&tstart=0
Im using a 9500 gt with windows 7 2.2 ghz cpu 6gigs of ram

I am experiencing this issue in world of warcraft, but i cant find a forum thread on the wow forums dealing with this issue.

I have figured exactly what is causing lag every 6 seconds in certain areas.

Fog and Particle effects... no idea why. Ever since the /console ffxGlow 0 command stopped working it happens in more places than it did before. That glow or fog effect just fug-ucks with these modeled Nvidia cards... its the only thing i can think of that we all have in common...