[Spoilers] Leah? Who are you talking about?

Lore and Story
Leah's fate can be found............in future DLC
Yeah I think the expansion will be all about Leah and Adria. When you talk to Tyrial, your character heavily implies that his quest won't be over unless Leah's spirit is recovered. Also, Leah is Cain's legacy, it would really suck if she's really dead.

Adria's quest was to ressurect Diablo, so I doubt she's doing to give up now that she's dead, and her getting to run away after doing something really despisable is soooooo typical of Blizzard's setups for expansion packs. (Think of Kerrigan, Arthas, etc.)

I'm kinda pulling that out of my hat, but my guess is that something similar to this will happen in the expansion:
* Adria ressurects Diablo/Leah.
* Leah is released somehow. Diablo is set free.
* Adria let herself getting possessed by Diablo.
* Last boss is Adria fused with Diablo. (Diablo as a nephelim hybrid would be more powerful.)
I'm hoping to be able to go to hell and save Leah's soul in an expansion. I loved Act 4, but it really sucks that poor Leah, who had no idea of her parentage and no choice in the matter, gets zapped into Diablo and summarily killed. I get that part of the Diablo 'verse is nobody is safe when Prime Evils walk the earth, but jeez.

(Adria, I'm so disappointed in you! WHY YOU DO THIS.)
Yeah I think the expansion will be all about Leah and Adria. When you talk to Tyrial, your character heavily implies that his quest won't be over unless Leah's spirit is recovered. Also, Leah is Cain's legacy, it would really suck if she's really dead.

Adria's quest was to ressurect Diablo, so I doubt she's doing to give up now that she's dead, and her getting to run away after doing something really despisable is soooooo typical of Blizzard's setups for expansion packs. (Think of Kerrigan, Arthas, etc.)

I'm kinda pulling that out of my hat, but my guess is that something similar to this will happen in the expansion:
* Adria ressurects Diablo/Leah.
* Leah is released somehow. Diablo is set free.
* Adria let herself getting possessed by Diablo.
* Last boss is Adria fused with Diablo. (Diablo as a nephelim hybrid would be more powerful.)

Which conversation is this? When I played the female Demon Hunter (only class I've killed Diablo on) she pretty much just says she'll put Leah out of her misery.
Which conversation is this? When I played the female Demon Hunter (only class I've killed Diablo on) she pretty much just says she'll put Leah out of her misery.

Well, this is very nebulous and I could be wrong. (It's not like Blizzard to let corrupted people come back unscathered anyway.)

I play a male Barbarian and he says something similar to this:
Tyrial: I fear Leah's innocent spirit will be destroyed if we defeat Diablo.
Me: I fear as much. I will not be done until Leah's spirit is put to rest.

Not word-for-word, I only read that once. This seems to imply that he will not let Leah's spirit be destroyed, that he will try to recover her spirit so she can rest in peace.

And it just seems natural that we will keep hearing about her. She and Tyrial are THE important characters in the game. It would be disappointing if both her and Cain were lost. Who would tell the lore in the future Diablo games?

Although it could also go the other way, since that innocent sweetie getting "killed" was the only dramatic moment of the story, letting her revive would trivialize Diablo III's only emotional moment.
05/20/2012 06:05 PMPosted by Dystram
LEAH IS DEAD! WHEN A PERSON IS POSSESSED BY DIABLO, THEIR SOUL IS DESTROYED AND THEY BECOME DIABLO! WHY DON'T YOU !@#$S UNDERSTAND THIS?!

There's a problem with your argument. Leah isn't a "person" she's a demon. What happens to demons when their bodies are destroyed in close proximity to a soul stone?
This is a discussion between the hero and Covetous Shen titled "Leah's Soul" after the start of Act 4. I play a male wizard, so the response of the hero may vary, but i think that the conversation in general speaks for itself.

Shen: "Do you think that Leah is gone forever?"

Me: "Diablo consumed her. She is gone."

Shen: "Do you not think Leah's soul is stronger than that?But, oh, but then sometimes I -- I forget that you have not seen the things I have seen."

Me: "You always dodge around the truth. Who are you?"

Shen: "Er, what am I? Well I am Covetous Shen of course -- no more, no less. To some that has meant one thing; to others another."

Me: "When will you give me a real answer?"

Shen: "When the sun sets in the east and the shore swallows the tide. When the moon smiles upon the day and the blind man sees again."

That is word for word. It had me extremely curious though. Yes normally the souls of the people diablo takes over are usually lost forever, but Leah is an exception. She is a direct descendant of Diablo himself (or at least the vessel containing him). She is connected to Diablo himself and that is why she was the perfect host for him.

Shen seems sure that her soul is still out there somewhere, and Shen himself is obviously much much more than he seems. I love how he tells us that he will basically never give us the answer. On the other hand though he could just be a crazy old man....

Holy !@#$ you're %^-*ing retarded. How about you go play the other two GAMES?

No one comes back from being posessed by Diablo. You die. Your soul is destroyed. Period. Anything else if just retconning bull!@#$ to appease window-lickers like you. %^-* this game's cinematics and story; it means nothing. This game was not even created by anyone who worked on the first two Diablo games! Why are you new Blizzard fans so !@#$ing stupid?!

Albrecht would beg to differ. He returned to his human form after Aidan cut the soulstone from his forehead, of course he still died shortly after (Probably due to the massive hole in his head). These people do not want your snide,asinine, comments they just want closure.
If you really think Leah was such a great and well written character, consider this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6036674083

And if they let us revive/save Leah in the xpac, the story will get even more ridiculous than it is now. No one gave a damn when Leoric was died. No one cared about Albrecht. Or the Dark Wanderer. Suddenly D3 = revive here, revive there. Everyone can come back, no matter what happened to them. Oh but don't forget to kill and burn Cain's body, cause you know, the community hated him and his stupid "stay a while and listen" line. Don't you dare to bring him back. He's gonna bore you with his stories again.
It's possible that Tyrael didn't mention Leah or any other human who died because he didn't care about them. He only ever seems to be upset about the death of Decard Cain but not about everyone killed in New Tristram, Worthing, Caldeium, Alcarnus, or Bastion's Keep.
Getting back to the original point, it's not so much that the story is all about Leah, and she is forgotten about at the end of the game, but the story told in the cinematics certainly is:

Intro - Leah in the Cathedral
Beat Act 1 - Leah & Tyrael at Cain's funeral
Beat Act 2 - Leah's dream
Beat Act 3 - Leah's transformation and assault on the Heavens
Beat Act 4 - Tyrael/Nephalem.

Leah, Leah, Leah, Leah, NEPHALEM. Having your focal point unresolved is one thing (probably a good thing, especially if you plan to continue her story in an expansion), but to not touch on it AT ALL in the ending is odd. Likewise, after growing used to having your character excluded from the cinematics, it's weird to suddenly be recognized.

This probably has a lot to do with how the Diablo 2 cinematics were handled:

Intro - Marius meets the wanderer
Beat Act 1 - Marius goes across the desert
Beat Act 2 - Marius frees Baal, told to go to Kurast
Beat Act 3 - Marius watches Diablo's transformation and entrance to Hell
Beat Act 4 - Marius dies, it's revealed that Baal is still out there.

Like Diablo 3, the hero never enters the equation in these cinematics (there are practical reasons for this), but unlike Diablo 3, this continues all the way through the end cinematic. The closest you get is, "I heard somewhere that he was defeated, and that his soulstone was destroyed on the Hellforge" (very slight paraphrase, I'm working from memory). But after that one moment, it's right back to Marius' story.

Diablo 3 tries to juggle a lot more characters in its cinematics than Diablo 2 did, and I think the end result is that they lost a bit of the narrative thread.

One thing that I think might have helped a little bit is re-writing the prophecy. It ends with the line "As fate lies shattered forever." The phrasing of that references Itherael, but it's a bit of a stretch to connect it to the events of Act 4 and the Nephalem's involvement. If the line were changed to, "As the fate of man ends," then it would reference the discussion in Act 4 where Itherael tells us there's nothing written in the Book of Fate about the Nephalem, so we will be the deciding factor in the battle.

With that one change, the cinematics start by referencing the Nephalem (because we'd be mentioned in the prophecy), and then the cinematics end by referencing us (Tyrael's lame speech). Wouldn't help a lot, but would help a little.
Question is, aren't you that Nephalum?

Seems fitting to put you in the spot light the final act, after you've spent most of the story kicking !@#.
05/19/2012 08:29 PMPosted by Degrade
everything suddenly becomes focused on the Nephalum and how freaking awesome he is.
Lost me there.
05/20/2012 06:05 PMPosted by Dystram
I think they didn't get in to Leah fate for same reason they didn't get in to Adria fate either. It seems the two characters are linked together and are left open for an expansion pack. That would be my guess. Also don't forget they also didn't tell use who The Prophet (well did to a point) and I think that two will be dropped in to the expansion pack.

LEAH IS DEAD! WHEN A PERSON IS POSSESSED BY DIABLO, THEIR SOUL IS DESTROYED AND THEY BECOME DIABLO! WHY DON'T YOU !@#$S UNDERSTAND THIS?!

Holy %^-*, read !@#$ing wikipedia about the older games or something.

There were many hints about this. Two NPCs in act four (forget who) mention that her soul was probably protected by Cain's Horadric magic.
Where in the Diablo World did you get the souls being destroyed when Diablo possesses a person? Diablo(and also Baal) gradually corrupts the soul of the person he possessed until Diablo gains full control of the body. That's what he tried to do with Leoric in D1 but settled for Albrecht since Leoric's will was too strong for Diablo at the time. D1's Hero tried to contain Diablo's soul corrupting his mind, as well before becoming the Dark Wanderer and left Tristram. Also read between the lines of the conversation between Marius and the Dark Wanderer. The Dark Wanderer told Marius that he was once a great warrior, clearly stating that the D1 Hero(or Aidan if you would prefer)'s soul is still there somewhere, weak but still there.
As I recall, talking to Shen:

Shen: Do you think Leah is lost forever?
You: Diablo consumed her, she is gone.
Shen: Do you not think Leah's soul is stronger than that? But, oh, but then sometimes I- I forget that you have no seen everything that I have seen.

I'm playing as a male demon hunter...
maybe he figured that if he can be beaten at his absolute best, then there's no point continuing to fight as he will never win.

Eg:

You train for years and years, you get to the Olympics, you line up for the sprint next to Usain Bolt. He's going to !@#$ on you, so do you just quit the race?