FPS - A Letter To Blizzard

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
05/16/2012 11:33 PMPosted by S4d1k
OpenGL 3.2, GLSL are features that we will use eventually and we hope to get better performance with them. We are currently looking for short term solutions that we can deliver to players as soon as possible.

Thank You for responding! :)

I hope things can be fixed for everyone having problems. I have a Geforce 320m and can only play this game with shadows completely off. Everything else is on high and works fine. Hope this is something you could look into.
Thanks twentyfour, I have done that and repaired disk utility now. I am also going to install 10.7.4. so we'll see how that improves it.

May I suggest something? Could the team possibly take notes/minutes and post them on the forums as a sticky? This is so that everyone will know what is happening and that Blizzard is actually trying to "alleviate the problem as soon as possible", if you don't mind me using your words. I am positively sure that everyone will welcome the team's regular updates on this low FPS/choppy gameplay issue. Thank you once again.

Everyone, please quote this. I'm getting neurotic.

I'd love a dedicated thread or Twitter feed. Something.

Take a deep breath. Breathe. You don't need by the minute updates about this problem. Just an assurance that Blizzard will look into it and try and fix it in a reasonable amount of time, which they've already given us.
05/16/2012 11:02 PMPosted by S4d1k
We are aware that the FPS is really low with some video cards like the 9400 and below expectations on better cards. We are doing our best to find optimizations. We do not have numbers or a date but we are doing our best to alleviate the problem as soon as possible.

This has made my day.

Thank you Blizzard for informing us your aware of the issue and trying to find a way to fix it.

Now I'm interested in keeping the game, because I know they can find a fix as long as their allocating resources to do so.

You rock Blizzard <3

Take a deep breath. Breathe. You don't need by the minute updates about this problem. Just an assurance that Blizzard will look into it and try and fix it in a reasonable amount of time, which they've already given us.

I suppose you're right. It's tough after nine years of anticipation though. Especially with a few months of true school-girl giggles leading up to the release.
We are aware that the FPS is really low with some video cards like the 9400 and below expectations on better cards. We are doing our best to find optimizations. We do not have numbers or a date but we are doing our best to alleviate the problem as soon as possible.

DUDE IT'S NOT JUST OLD MACS AT ALL... I HAVE THE NEWEST MACBOOK PRO 15INCH WITH THE BEST POSSIBLE UPGRADES AND IM GETTING 19FPS ON THE COVEN QUEST... QUIT BSING .
I would give my right arm for 19fps

I have 10 at the absolute maximum.
05/17/2012 01:35 PMPosted by LaRussa
DUDE IT'S NOT JUST OLD MACS AT ALL... I HAVE THE NEWEST MACBOOK PRO 15INCH WITH THE BEST POSSIBLE UPGRADES AND IM GETTING 19FPS ON THE COVEN QUEST... QUIT BSING .

Umm, did you not see the part where S4d1k clearly referred to the underperformance of more recent discrete video cards on OS X as well? No? k, well here it is;

We are aware that the FPS is really low with some video cards like the 9400 and below expectations on better cards. We are doing our best to find optimizations.

"and below expectations on better cards."

love,
shmoo
Well i have a 17 2010 mac book pro
Mac® OS X 10.6.8
Intel® Core 2 Duo
4 GB of system RAM or greater
Grafic card NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M and Intel HD grafic card

Well the problem is that the first 2 days i have been able too play diablo 3 perfectly
My settings where High,Medium,High,Medium.

Yesterday the problems started after the mantainance they had in the afternoon.
When i start playing it starts smooth then the graphics start sowing down and making me unable to play.
If somebody knows how to fix this problem i would gladly apreciate it :D
I dont know if there a solution yet

Ps. Will it help if i upgrade to lion?
I have just upgraded to lion and honestly on the low/off settings I have, it felt faster before. I was hitting 30-40 fps in smaller areas. Now I'm around 30ish, but I should definitely be able to run this game at higher settings and get better fps, something is wrong.
I have the Diablo 3 collectors edition, and I play on a mac I got about 1 and a half years ago. I cant even play in my native resolution on all low. I have to play 800X600, to even get 15 FPS. If I go to Wortham, I lag from the fires. I can play WoW and Starcraft on high,but cant even play on 1080. It is really aggravating that I cant even play with my friends because the FPS is so low. Please come up with a solution.
Thank you for the good reply.

I would rather hear technical answers than empathy.
Blue response in this thread is the only thing keeping me from demanding a refund. Here's hoping a fix happens sooner rather than later. I'd like to actually play the game.

Now I remember why I nerd out on consoles...
hmmm, I to would love an update/patch to help with this. ><

Comp specs:
17" (1920x1200)
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
2.66GHz Core 2 Duo
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

Switched from Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.7.4 this morning and already noticed a considerable increase in performance capabilities (I had to run it on 1330x800res just to get a framerate above 20fps). I can now play with the same framerate at a resolution setting just below the max of 1920x1200. My concern is that, for the most part I'm ok with 25fps in most areas, but in some heavily lit areas like night time locations or waterways in the sewers my framerate goes below 15fps. Sometimes even below 10! At that point I can't even keep up with the action that is going on in-game with all the delay.

Minimum System requirements suggests a graphics card NVIDIA 8600M GT or better; from what I understand 9600 is decidedly better. For those non-tech gurus out there like myself; the biggest difference from that and the suggested graphics card of the NVIDIA GT330M is that the later has Dx11 capabilities, correct?
So happy to hear this!
haha oh man i wish i could reliably get 15fps :( lol
If it helps at all, here are my system specs and settings:

OPERATING SYSTEM:
MacOS 10.7.3
CPU TYPE:
Intel® Core™ i7-2635QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
SYSTEM MEMORY:
4 GB
VIDEO CARD MODEL:
AMD Radeon HD 6490M
VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
256 MB

I'm running at 1680x1050

All settings are set to Low, shadows and antialiasing are off, and I have not touched the max framerate settings.

I am getting 23-27 FPS on average in most situations. It's playable, but choppy.
please help us blizz.. this is absurd.
could anyone from blizz explain what the beta was for?
obviously not for technical tests,
as almost the same frame drops occured there,
although not THAT fatal!
Why can't we just play the complete game,
but with the beta client, which was way better!?
I just want to note that I am using 10.6.8 on my 24" 2.8 Ghz Core Duo, 4gb Ram iMac (Radeo 2600HD) and I can play the game with 25-30 fps. I am using the 1350x resolution however.. but I am at least able to play pretty smoothly like that.

05/16/2012 11:09 PMPosted by Omega

^that's as good as it gets right here.

Curious, would using opengl 3.2 go a long way in doing that? i often wonder just how much performance is being sacrificed on backwards compatability extentions and disregarding much newer GLSL or other extentions that are now availablein 10.7.4? (btw i get good performance on my mac pro, i'm just curious though)

Which btw, anyone still on 10.6.8 really should update to 10.7.4 as 10.6.8 only gets older and older by the day with no further apple updates, and 10.7 really did add a lot of new opengl stuff that's just ripe for the using :)