Necromancer Lore/Alignment

Lore and Story
Being new to Diablo and most likely getting D2, I'm wondering about how Necromancers ((AKA Priests of Rathma)) are handled. Judging by reading the wiki, they seem neutral with bringing the balance of life and death, and wanting to defeat Diablo for trying to defile this. I find it interesting they are not flat out evil like in most universes.

And does the afterlife work where good guys go to heaven where the archangels are and the evil go to hell? If so where would the Necromancers fit? They seem to be "Aligned with the light" like the wiki claims but they still do foul acts like raising the dead. So I'm hoping to get a polish of their lore and where they exactly fit.
When humans die they go to an unknown place beyond angels and demons. When demons or angels die they go to the Abyss. They're able to return from the Abyss ... after a time. There is also a "void" which acts like a prison.

Raising the dead - while strange - is just animating dead flesh/bones, much like a Wizard animates arcane energy. Necromancers do the same - high level of skill and they can animate other things...metal or fire for example.

Like you said earlier, they're about balance ... and anything that disrupts that balance must be stopped.
05/21/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Syturus
And does the afterlife work where good guys go to heaven where the archangels are and the evil go to hell?

The "native" population in Heaven and Hell does not include human souls or the reincarnation of human souls. Humans and/or their souls in the locations are either visitors or captives. We don't really know for certain what "naturally" happens to human souls after death. If there's a place for good people and another for bad people... or if they all go to the same place... or if they reincarnate... it hasn't been laid out in stone yet.

Heaven and Hell (as well as Angels and Demons) are actually the remnants of Anu and Tathamet - the "primordial creator gods" of the Diablo universe. Anu was first, and Tathamet is actually just his cast off imperfections (i.e. evil).

All this being said and done, there apparently are deities in the setting, who are not aligned with Heaven or Hell. How these gods fall into place, and how powerful they are, is also a bit of a mystery. We know the origin of angels and demons... but not the gods. Are they just angels or demons in disguise? Are they just the imagination of humans? Are they actually real? No idea.
The way Heaven and Hell work in the Diablo universe is nothing like the Heaven and Hell of the Christian Churst, it actually has nothing to do with it other then having the same names.

Its has some inspiration from it, but it isn't the sole source.
Being new to Diablo and most likely getting D2, I'm wondering about how Necromancers ((AKA Priests of Rathma)) are handled. Judging by reading the wiki, they seem neutral with bringing the balance of life and death, and wanting to defeat Diablo for trying to defile this. I find it interesting they are not flat out evil like in most universes.

And does the afterlife work where good guys go to heaven where the archangels are and the evil go to hell? If so where would the Necromancers fit? They seem to be "Aligned with the light" like the wiki claims but they still do foul acts like raising the dead. So I'm hoping to get a polish of their lore and where they exactly fit.

In terms of alignment, the Necromancers would, in theory, be True Neutral, since they're all about balance.

There's no lore about the "afterlife" in the Diablo universe, and the Angels and the Demons have no afterlife to speak of, only getting respawned over and over when they die. So not only is the Eternal Conflict referring to the sheer length of time their great war has been waged, but also because they will keep on being revived until the end of time.

I suspect that human souls will go to the same place as did Anu's, according to the Book of Cain that claimed Anu may have went on to a higher plane of existence after his cataclysmic battle with Tathamet.