Rakanoth inferno impossible now?

Wizard
1 2 3 8 Next
Unlike the majority of wizards I have kept all my int/vit gear while ive been running the first 3 acts of inferno. However today ive managed to solo act 4 upto Rakanoth with ~40k hp.
Right so, even with force armor on, Rakanoth's normal melee hits and teleport insta kill me and hit for 42-50k damage. Surely this suggests that the new force armor theory where it only works if the attacks are less than 2x your hp is wrong?... Maybe force armor just doesnt work at all now on certain boss abilities? Ive also been getting 1 shot by normal mobs in act 4...

Point of topic: Has any wizard actually managed to kill Rakanoth inferno today? and if have, were you using force armor? and did it work on his abilities? if so how much hp are you rolling with?
IMO it sounds like force armor is broken and not nerfed. Some blue confirmation on what exactly is going on would be awesome and is more then a day over due.
Not impossible. I used mirror images right after he summons his boyfriends and then I spam wormhole. Sure it's harder, but doable. Oh stack dodge
^ agreed
Force armor doesn't work on anything for me right now. White mobs that do 60% of my HP...do 60% of my HP, regardless of the armor.
05/23/2012 09:49 AMPosted by Sinned
Oh stack dodge

aka "-percent chance to not die"
05/23/2012 09:52 AMPosted by Donnictons
Oh stack dodge

Good one!
Having to rely on rng :) its like im playing firemage again.

Anyway I tried him again without force armor and his teleport hit was over 200k, so it does appear force armor is mitigating some damage (~75%?), but the tooltip...... sigh....
its possible, i found a way how to do it as wizard (only way in my opinion)

U need this:
Familiar - Ancient Guardian makes it so whenever you drop below 35% health it absorbs 1 attack every 6 seconds.
REMOVE ALL ur rege life per sec gear items, then bring ur hp below 35% of ur max ( u can do this just unequiping all ur items and then u put them on again).

u would go to the boss like this (example) 4721/30000 hp, ur hp is never gonna go up cause u have 0 life rege per sec ok ?

then go FULL dps spec, magic weapon with venom, teleport wormhole, storm armor with the thing that makes u run faster on hit, familiar with ancient guardian ofc, arcane orb with obliteration and ofc VENOM HYDRA !!!
For passive u should go with glasscannon, evocation and critical mass ( in case the hydra or 1 arcane orb crits helps to have ur teleport back earlier)

now to the tactic:
assoon the fight starts he will ofc teleports to u, the hit WONT KILL U cause the familiar will absorb the full hit cause ur all the time below 35% of ur max life, before he hits u u can put hydra and u can just run 25% faster with storm armor or just blink away 1 arcane orb.
IMPORTANT is, NEVER stay close to him otherwise he will summon his minions, just go max range and he will teleport to u again but np, 6 secs after his first teleport ur ancient guardian will absorb ALL THE damage AGAIN !!! and thats how u kill him, if u do 1 mistake staying to close to him then he will summon his minions and then its over... anyway, this is the only way i found out how to beat him today, took a while but its viable =)

hope this helped u all wizards :D, gl hf
its possible, i found a way how to do it as wizard (only way in my opinion)

U need this:
Familiar - Ancient Guardian makes it so whenever you drop below 35% health it absorbs 1 attack every 6 seconds.
REMOVE ALL ur rege life per sec gear items, then bring ur hp below 35% of ur max ( u can do this just unequiping all ur items and then u put them on again).

u would go to the boss like this (example) 4721/30000 hp, ur hp is never gonna go up cause u have 0 life rege per sec ok ?

then go FULL dps spec, magic weapon with venom, teleport wormhole, storm armor with the thing that makes u run faster on hit, familiar with ancient guardian ofc, arcane orb with obliteration and ofc VENOM HYDRA !!!
For passive u should go with glasscannon, evocation and critical mass ( in case the hydra or 1 arcane orb crits helps to have ur teleport back earlier)

now to the tactic:
assoon the fight starts he will ofc teleports to u, the hit WONT KILL U cause the familiar will absorb the full hit cause ur all the time below 35% of ur max life, before he hits u u can put hydra and u can just run 25% faster with storm armor or just blink away 1 arcane orb.
IMPORTANT is, NEVER stay close to him otherwise he will summon his minions, just go max range and he will teleport to u again but np, 6 secs after his first teleport ur ancient guardian will absorb ALL THE damage AGAIN !!! and thats how u kill him, if u do 1 mistake staying to close to him then he will summon his minions and then its over... anyway, this is the only way i found out how to beat him today, took a while but its viable =)

hope this helped u all wizards :D, gl hf

This was brilliant, thank you so much for sharing this, using familiar didn't even cross my mind.

I tried your method of not letting him spawn adds, but I couldn't get it to work, so I ended up using a method where I had to kill the adds.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#iRYSjQ!XYb!ZbcZbY

This is the build when I had the successful run, what I did was, when he spawns his adds, frost nova them right away, it's crucial to freeze both of them. Then start disintegrating them, make sure to hit both of them, Rakanoth should be charging right about now, teleport away from Rakanoth such that his adds are between you and him, and continue to disintegrate till adds are dead, rinse repeat. Another little thing I did was, when Rakanoth does his summoning animation, I drop a new hydra right behind me, far enough so it can't reach Rakanoth, this way you can make sure that when the spawns pop out your hydra will start hitting them right away and not waste shot on Rakanoth.

I had 28k damage when I did this, including force weapon, I was able to melt the adds before I even got charged most of the time, so this shouldn't be too gear dependent. Good luck!
dude do Iskatu with Archon, all the adds will bump your archon time left to about 4-5 minutes. enough to get to rakanoth with it still on.
05/25/2012 10:48 PMPosted by Miasma
dude do Iskatu with Archon, all the adds will bump your archon time left to about 4-5 minutes. enough to get to rakanoth with it still on.

The OP is talking about Inferno mode. If you use Archon in Inferno mode past Act 1 and you are not quite literally the best geared person on the planet right now, you are going to get destroyed.
rakanoth is easy:

force armor for minions
blink OR images to counter his blink strike (would not recommend both)
venom hydra + freezing blizzard for the rest.

the only thing you need is good timing and 0 lag to cast the spells in the exact moment he blinks.
05/23/2012 09:52 AMPosted by Donnictons
Oh stack dodge

It's funny because it's true.
I tried the build "Wups" suggested above. It worked pretty good, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vpiBGihsBo
Meldo <3 !!! WELL DONE :D, my character is in europe servers tho :<, i need help now for diablo inferno... hes kinda op there, need skilled wizards to kill him ;D
I tried the build "Wups" suggested above. It worked pretty good, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vpiBGihsBo

Nice!
it works! I even commented as first @ your youtube movie xD
Thx Wups for your build.
Unlike the majority of wizards I have kept all my int/vit gear while ive been running the first 3 acts of inferno. However today ive managed to solo act 4 upto Rakanoth with ~40k hp.
Right so, even with force armor on, Rakanoth's normal melee hits and teleport insta kill me and hit for 42-50k damage. Surely this suggests that the new force armor theory where it only works if the attacks are less than 2x your hp is wrong?... Maybe force armor just doesnt work at all now on certain boss abilities? Ive also been getting 1 shot by normal mobs in act 4...

Point of topic: Has any wizard actually managed to kill Rakanoth inferno today? and if have, were you using force armor? and did it work on his abilities? if so how much hp are you rolling with?

Force armor will negate hits of 80k hp with 40k hp, so he is doing 120-130k hits. Gear up my !@#, unless that means ranged classes need the same gear as barbs. Ofc a quick blink / img will save you but if we can take no hits why gear at all? FA was a hit counter basicaly and its what we have anyway. You could make it like wiz / dh has 2 hp in inferno and every mob does 1 damage. Or better 4hp , mobs do 1, champ+ 2, bosses 4.
<3 wups