Are Pings Supposed To Be This High?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 15 Next
I love in south america, and I get constant 350~400 ms ping, which doesn't feel as much in SC2 but hurts like hell (bad pun) in D3
Actually, only part of it is Blizzard's servers. Part of it is Windows 7/Vista. Those OS's have a little something that reduces the frequency with which packets are sent & received. Basically instead of sending & replying to one thing at a time, it waits & collects several different packets then sends & replies to several all at once. Generally this improves network traffic (more efficient & all that). For MMO's & Online games however, this increases latency. (I'm not much of an FPS/RTS guy so I have no idea how this effects those types of games, but I would think those games will benefit as well.) Back in my XP days, WoW's lag for me was around 100 routinely. With Vista it was routinely around 250 until a former guildie (who actually worked for microsoft) clued me in on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagle%27s_algorithm

& this page with info on how to disable this:

http://lifeandcode.net/2009/05/reduce-game-network-latency-in-windows-7-or-vista/

This involves registry editing which is scary for non-computer geeks. Fortunately, there's a little program from Wowinterface.com called "Leatrix Latency Fix" that will make the changes for you. With WoW & games of that ilk my ping is now routinely around 80-100. Now this difference in lag, for WoW, isn't really a big deal unless you need to interrupt something REALLY quickly (or sometimes, if you're a healer). Again, I'm totally clueless as to the effect this has with online shooters but I would think it would improve your latency in those games too.

Diablo 3's latency is far less stable than WoW's & it WILL jump to 1000+. But when all is well, my ping in D3 is around 80-100 just like in WoW. With the latency fix, yours will be too.

The only thing is is that I have done the leatrix download back when SC2 was running a tad slow, but with D3 it doesn't do much. Pings can range from 180 to 1500ms. This isn't a fix for diablo 3 and it appears its still Blizzards servers.
So certain skills provide benefits for 0.5 second, other mobs with ability to teleport you/on you with out notice and do fatal damage, we get "normal" ping of 0.35 seconds.

I guess because average human can react to a single action by pushing a single button with in 0.02, Blizzard a absolutely fine with the state of affair.

Personally I think it's ridiculous, providing an online service with anything higher than 0.120 (120ping) is unacceptable.

What PVP are we talking about here? Any competitive person will tell you to go **** yourself before competing under such circumstances.

Ohhh well, they got away with it in SC2, why not D3.
Hmm....based on this thread, I am admittedly starting to wonder if they're using a server farm close to me. They ditched Seattle several years ago with their WoW servers, but maybe they're using Seattle again for some Diablo servers...which y'know actually kinda sucks. When doing speed tests, choosing Seattle commonly gives me worse numbers than if I choose San Francisco or Chicago....often by a surprisingly wide margin
So certain skills provide benefits for 0.5 second, other mobs with ability to teleport you/on you with out notice and do fatal damage, we get "normal" ping of 0.35 seconds.

I guess because average human can react to a single action by pushing a single button with in 0.02, Blizzard a absolutely fine with the state of affair.

Personally I think it's ridiculous, providing an online service with anything higher than 0.120 (120ping) is unacceptable.

What PVP are we talking about here? Any competitive person will tell you to go **** yourself before competing under such circumstances.

Ohhh well, they got away with it in SC2, why not D3.

Lag doesn't feel bad at all in SC2 unleast you play from NA to Asia
The latency indicator in-game is not a simple ping like most games, and is actually a full process of the game sending an action to the service, the service processing it, and returning it to the client. This means that the latency indicator actually gives a more accurate account of what the experience is for game data, but in comparison to other games will seem high. We're more interested in issues where there is actual performance degradation, and certainly there may be, but the in-game latency number is not a simple ping and therefore shouldn't be used literally as a measurement against performance elsewhere.

I should add that the correct forum for this is really the Technical Support forum.
Yeah the latency in this game needs to be fixed... I'm tired of getting melee'd from 30 yards away
05/23/2012 10:14 PMPosted by Bashiok
The latency indicator in-game is not a simple ping like most games, and is actually a full process of the game sending an action to the service, the service processing it, and returning it to the client. This means that the latency indicator actually gives a more accurate account of what the experience is for game data, but in comparison to other games will seem high. We're more interested in issues where there is actual performance degradation, and certainly there may be, but the in-game latency number is not a simple ping and therefore shouldn't be used literally as a measurement against performance elsewhere.

So when can I play reliably with my brother who is 4 feet away from me?

So when can I play reliably with my brother who is 4 feet away from me?

Never, look at SC2. No lan and they have people playing that game professionally rofl
I don't know if this information is helpful or not.
I am in Taiwan and average ping is about 180 to 260
The game is playable, but if it comes to critical situation, you'll get kill by latency.
Especially for melee classes.

So, the problem is world wide.
05/23/2012 10:14 PMPosted by Bashiok

Well can they make the indicator like every other game so that we can verify this claim? I would love to see a 50ms ping with indicator and still have this horrendous lag.
Usually my ping will be between 200-300ms during the day, until about 1am PDT time then it'll drop down to 75-90ms. The game feels much smoother at the lower latency as well so it does degrade game performance when its higher, not just net lag.
Diablo 3*not really* servers will have a lighter load when Torchlight 2 comes out.

@Bibbabad: Torchlight 2, lan play, no internet required.

I didn't pay for torchlight 2, I payed for diablo 3, this !@#$ is beyond amateur devs but big bad blizzard gets away with this retarded service just because they know they can. EA 2.0
I had ping of 250 and it was running just fine. The system they have set up is actually quite amazing.

I should add that the correct forum for this is really the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386227/"]Technical Support forum[/url].

Can you explain why my ping goes from 300 during the daytime and afternoons to 70-80 at late night/early mornings for me then?
sometimes I will play the game and it will freeze for a few seconds seemingly randomly for up to an hour. Sometimes the game is actually frozen for minutes at a time in which the game of course catches up in about 5 seconds.