D2 dialogue vs D3 dialogue

Lore and Story
Prev 1 3 4 5 8 Next
You say this:

but then you say this:

I'm getting a mixed message from you here.

What I mean, is that when your product is comprised of a lot more than story, a bad story does not make the rest of the product bad. Yes, the story is bad, but everything else (game mechanics, level design, etc) is very good. I say right in my post that the game is still good, despite how bad the writing is. Just as a great story can redeem shoddy gameplay, great gameplay can redeem bad writing.

Good + bad = average, not great.
D2 did not have much memorable dialog. Rose-colored glasses. It was just as cheesy as D3.

Sadly, there was no way this game was going to live up to anyone's expectations because of the gap in time between releases.

you trippin boss. reread some of the dialogues from d2, a lot of it is straight up poetic

As a d2 player for years i can say that this is the first thing i noticed in d3 is how fking cheesy the damn dialogue is, none of it sounds convincing/badass, or is as simple and awesome as D2 dialog. I guess they didnt take much notes on that part of game developing.
"Had the evil from my dreams followed me at my heels? How had he found me here? How could this broken shell of a man, barely able to carry the weight of his own sword, be the burning terror which drove me to hide here?"

"Why did I follow him? I don't know. Why do things happen as they do in dreams? All I know is when he beckoned, I had to follow him. From that moment, we traveled together, east... always, into the east."

Simply amazing writing, voice acting, direction, and music too.
"Had the evil from my dreams followed me at my heels? How had he found me here? How could this broken shell of a man, barely able to carry the weight of his own sword, be the burning terror which drove me to hide here?"

"Why did I follow him? I don't know. Why do things happen as they do in dreams? All I know is when he beckoned, I had to follow him. From that moment, we traveled together, east... always, into the east."

Simply amazing writing, voice acting, direction, and music too.

U are the Fking man! this part is awesome and a great example of how d3 dialog doesnt compare.
Diablo 3 has a lot of good dialogue. It's true for cinematics, Lore Journals and a lot of NPCs including artisans and followers.

Unfortunately it also has a lot of bad dialogue, most of which is pretty much useless and the saddest part is that the bad dialogue is usually the one describing the main quest, and therefore you will always hear it. A large of the in-game cutscenes and lines of dialogue (Cain vs Skeleton king, Butcher intro, Azmodan and Diablo in-game speeches) can be safely removed from the game and actually make it better. Less is more, anyone?

The story is actually so much better if you take your time and listen to all the dialogue from followers and artisans. It's a puzzle why the side dialogue is better than the mandatory one.
Surprised no one has mentioned the worst one of all:

"I am Legion"

I don't wanna talk about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g_ATPxDlufg#t=207s

OH MY GOD! ANONYMOUS IS DIABLO!!!!
05/26/2012 11:05 PMPosted by Chrono
I think most people who post criticism of the story acknowledge that the gameplay and the game overall are more than enough to redeem a terrible story. The argument is that the STORY is terrible, not that the entire GAME is terrible. The rest of the product is fine, at least in my opinion, but I really wish Blizzard would put more effort into their storytelling.

Sounds to me as if you are complaining with your mouth full then.

Seriously, D2 isn't going anywhere: if it is so superior, then just don't bother with its inferior sequel.
Seriously, D2 isn't going anywhere: if it is so superior, then just don't bother with its inferior sequel.

Do you really not want Blizzard to improve their games? A game with fun gameplay but an abysmal story is not as good as a game with fun gameplay and an enjoyable/interesting story. All I wish for is for Blizzard to ratchet up their storytelling so they can return to making games with fun gameplay and enjoyable/interesting stories. They've done it in the past, so it's not like I'm making an unreasonable request of them.
Diablo 3 has a lot of good dialogue. It's true for cinematics, Lore Journals and a lot of NPCs including artisans and followers.

Unfortunately it also has a lot of bad dialogue, most of which is pretty much useless and the saddest part is that the bad dialogue is usually the one describing the main quest, and therefore you will always hear it.

That's it exactly. The dialogue is a mixed bag, but it seems many people prefer to dwell on the bad lines while completely ignoring the good ones.
05/27/2012 07:12 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
I think most people who post criticism of the story acknowledge that the gameplay and the game overall are more than enough to redeem a terrible story. The argument is that the STORY is terrible, not that the entire GAME is terrible. The rest of the product is fine, at least in my opinion, but I really wish Blizzard would put more effort into their storytelling.

Sounds to me as if you are complaining with your mouth full then.

Your arguments are extremely flawed and your replies lack any sort of logic. You also do not have any reading comprehension skills. Please stop posting.

Unfortunately it also has a lot of bad dialogue, most of which is pretty much useless and the saddest part is that the bad dialogue is usually the one describing the main quest, and therefore you will always hear it.

That's it exactly. The dialogue is a mixed bag, but it seems many people prefer to dwell on the bad lines while completely ignoring the good ones.

Well that's the point of this thread. SHOW us the good dialogue.

Otherwise, stop claiming that it's there.
"All those crazy stories.."

Or whatever Leah's line was about not believing what Cain had told her. I mean your town is presently being besieged by the walking dead, what does you mean crazy stories? Why on earth is the "have to overcome disbelief in the supernatural" line of character development being used in the world of Diablo?? Later in A3 the herald from Westmarch says the king won't send real soldiers to fight imaginary enemies. Hasn't Tristram been razed to the ground 3 times now?? Its like they randomly grabbed cliches, shoved them into the game, and didn't even worry about whether they fit. Sadly, that first cinematic with Tyrael giving up his wings was the only one that could hold a candle to D2's. This moment though was a bad omen of things to come in D3.

"Why did I follow him? I don't know. Why do things happen as they do in dreams? All I know is that when he beckoned I had to follow him."

You can't argue with straight emotion. D2 sounded like it was inspired by Poe, except the Tyrael and the Prime Evils dialogue which came from the Bible.

Leah's disbelief at goings-on in Sanctuary is a major problem, IMO. Her disbelief doesn't belong in Sanctuary. If Diablo 3 took place on our Earth, then it would make sense, because common sense says things like demons and zombies aren't real. But in Sanctuary, demons, gods, angels, etc. seem to be as commonplace as dogs and cats. How can a character, especially one associated with Cain, possibly have any disbelief?

Or whatever Leah's line was about not believing what Cain had told her. I mean your town is presently being besieged by the walking dead, what does you mean crazy stories? Why on earth is the "have to overcome disbelief in the supernatural" line of character development being used in the world of Diablo?? Later in A3 the herald from Westmarch says the king won't send real soldiers to fight imaginary enemies. Hasn't Tristram been razed to the ground 3 times now?? Its like they randomly grabbed cliches, shoved them into the game, and didn't even worry about whether they fit. Sadly, that first cinematic with Tyrael giving up his wings was the only one that could hold a candle to D2's. This moment though was a bad omen of things to come in D3.

Agreed.

I think tahts why they couldnt use the barb from d2 as the barb in d3. He would have just smacked the hell out of her and been like, dude, i stomped the prime evils 20 years ago. I think the barb would have ended up killing her himself, thus diablo could nto be reborn, thus no game.

"Why did I follow him? I don't know. Why do things happen as they do in dreams? All I know is that when he beckoned I had to follow him."

You can't argue with straight emotion. D2 sounded like it was inspired by Poe, except the Tyrael and the Prime Evils dialogue which came from the Bible.

Leah's disbelief at goings-on in Sanctuary is a major problem, IMO. Her disbelief doesn't belong in Sanctuary. If Diablo 3 took place on our Earth, then it would make sense, because common sense says things like demons and zombies aren't real. But in Sanctuary, demons, gods, angels, etc. seem to be as commonplace as dogs and cats. How can a character, especially one associated with Cain, possibly have any disbelief?

Agreed.

I think thats why they couldnt use the barb from d2 as the barb in d3. He would have just smacked the hell out of her and been like, dude, i stomped the prime evils 20 years ago, ur uncle is right. I think the barb would have ended up killing her himself, thus diablo could not be reborn, thus no game. So they had to make him a different barb.

If she were a common person who did not live in Tristram in before D2, then it would be understandable. After D2, however, it became an apparent that these things existed so yes, I completely believe you.

For someone who had followed Cain and herself said she had to "pull him away from reading books while a horde of skeletons were coming" (or something like that), it just didn't fit.

Leah doubts the end-time prophecy that Cain has proclaimed the Falling Star to be. The same prophecy that he's hunted for 20 years.

Leah does not doubt the undead or demons. Undead and demons are a natural part of life on sanctuary. Even people like Hazir acknowledges them.

No, what Leah is doubting is that a meteor is somehow a sign of the end times. And when you look at it from her point of view, it makes sense. The prophecy mostly takes place during Act 4. Prior to Act 4, we see this:

"Wisdom shall be lost" and "Justice shall fall upon the world of men".

Who vague are those two signs of the apocalypse? Of course she doesn't believe them. All Deckard (who's 80 years old) sounds like is he's trying to convince himself the Fallen Star is a sign.

And if you notice, Leah doesn't doubt this prophecy anymore when she finds out Tyrael was the stranger. Why? Because its proof her Uncle was right, that Justice (Tyrael) had really fallen to the world of men.

Honestly, I don't know how people keep misinterpreting this.
Diablo 2's dialog was unremarkable in the extreme, but, it's better than most of the boss dialog in Diablo 3. There's a large degree of Less is More, something Blizzard seems to have forgotten during World of Warcraft.

I'm a fan of Belial, even though he's incredibly transparent, but, the other Evils shouldn't have talked unless you were in the room with them.

No, what Leah is doubting is that a meteor is somehow a sign of the end times. And when you look at it from her point of view, it makes sense. The prophecy mostly takes place during Act 4. Prior to Act 4, we see this:

And if you notice, Leah doesn't doubt this prophecy anymore when she finds out Tyrael was the stranger. Why? Because its proof her Uncle was right, that Justice (Tyrael) had really fallen to the world of men.

Honestly, I don't know how people keep misinterpreting this.

It's worth noting that Leah is right, it's not the damn end times, and that Deckard Cain has been yelling about the End of The World since before she was born. At this point The Lords of Hell attacking Sanctuary is hardly even remarkable.