builds for hell onwards (on hardcore)

Demon Hunter
hey guys
so i just got to act 1 on hell hardcore and i've been having some trouble with some of the elite packs

most notably those scavengers with a fast affix
here's the build that i swapped to

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYdXV!aeY!YZZYZb

at first i was using impale with chemical burns instead of vault because smokescreen was the only thing i needed to keep me from dying

i was also using sharpshooter instead of Tactical advantage for more deeps, as everything was dying much faster and things weren't a threat to me (before hell)

now that i encountered that elite scavenger pack that i just barely (i got away with 5%) i realized that i needed to change some things

i was thinking vault in replacement of impale provides a lot more survivability, especially vs the faster elite packs with waller, because i think you can vault over the walls? i haven't tested.

tactical advantage also seems REALLY nice for that MS boost when you have vault / smokescreen, it really lets you get out of those sticky situations--fast, even vs fast mobs

i'm currently sitting at 29.3k health and 5.8k damage (without sharpshooter) at lvl 53

any other hardcore demon hunters want to share their builds and talk about what works best?
bump, would really like to see some other ideas from different people!
I also love tactical advantage + SS (with displacement) + vault (with tumble) you can literally get screens away in like one second. honestly vault + tactical advantage is enough to kite forever and SS is just a CC break works fantastic.

edit:spelling lolol
I use basically the same build, with some different runes.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYdXV!YeT!YabbZb

Just finished Zoltun Kulle on Hell with this setup.
I also love tactical advantage + SS (with displacement) + vault (with tumble) you can literally get screens away in like one second. honestly vault + tactical advantage is enough to kite forever and SS is just a CC break works fantastic.

the move speed you'd get with displacement is hilarious haha

ball of lightning, interesting--ill try it

as for sharpshooter over taking tactical advantage, i'll have to see if my dps suffers too much without sharpshooter, because the extra movespeed witn TA is just so good to get distance
just place traps and run

the move speed you'd get with displacement is hilarious haha

ball of lightning, interesting--ill try it

as for sharpshooter over taking tactical advantage, i'll have to see if my dps suffers too much without sharpshooter, because the extra movespeed witn TA is just so good to get distance

Ball Lightning is just amazing for clearing groups/rooms. For 10 Hatred, I can nearly spam it.
i feel a lot more safe with frost arrow as of now
but ball of lightning definitely clears big packs a lot faster
You can't vault over walls, by the way - since you said you hadn't tested it

You can, however, pretty safely vault around them with the Rattling Roll rune.
i just... died. 10 days down the tube but im in the comeback already!!!
You can't vault over walls, by the way - since you said you hadn't tested it

You can, however, pretty safely vault around them with the Rattling Roll rune.

you also can ss (with displacement and tac advantage) run through them and then vault near the end of the duration and be a screens length away in the opposite direction, assuming it's clear (if you've been kiting them even a little bit then it should be)
I've got two HC DH now, 54 and 45 respectively.
...and a dead 38 (*shakefist* @ Lucani Stalker.)

The further I get, the more it feels like DH is just not cut out for HC in Hell+ without a player tanking for you and I am just waiting patiently until I run into just the right combination of an already fast mob with Fast, just far enough away from a waypoint or zoneline to do me in. My WD, with his array of pets and Wall of Zombies, wasn't nearly as troubled by this. Well, up until he died to the aforementioned Fast+fast due more to mistake than problematic encounter.

Also, I feel like SS+Displacement and TA don't stack... or, if they do, the difference with and without Displacement is simply not worth having. In fact, I did some testing just now and it looks like having both results in a distance of about 5yd less than you travel while speedy and stealthy, as compared to having Lingering Fog and TA.

My current build,
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WRcXdT!aYe!Za.ZbZ

Differences between other builds posts here explained,
Bola+Thunderball - Not quite the single-target DPS as Hungering Arrow (yet, potentially more, if there are other targets around) but I find the stun chance to be invaluable for certain encounters.
Elemental+Ball Lightning - The word "OP" comes to mind. This skill seems equally adept at room clearing as it is at killing packs. I've tried replacing it time and time again, but nothing else even comes close. It's effectively a spammable BFG.
Rapid Fire+Withering Fire - My single-target DPS skill. Every time I get it in my mind to replace it and just use Thunderball for ST DPS, I am quickly reminded of just how important it can be to take out a mob or two as quickly as possible.
Companion+Bat - Seemingly necessary for both Ball Lightning and Rapid Fire spam. The difference is night and day. Additionally, the bat still attacks just as the raven would. Like Rapid Fire, every time I take this off my bar, I quickly regret it.

This build works soooooo much better when you have a tank. Which I would, if he would stop dying (hence my having multiple DH now.) But my 54 seems dead in the water until I can come up with a solution for the encounters that are the subject of this thread.