Are you a Techspert ?

Aus/NZ General Discussion
I have just been viewing some threads from Blizz Latency Au/NZ.
I can't believe the level of proficiency that seems to be expected from someone who likes to play games on their PC. I am at a complete loss as to most of the language that is used. When I spend my money on a game I do so with the understanding that I don't need to have a degree in computer sciences. I expect to take the game home,install it to my hard drive and start playing, end of story. Latency, ping, rubber banding is just word that are meaningless to me. I do not understand any of it and have no wish to start learning. I actually have a life away from computer games.
hahahahhaah I thought I was the only one felt like that. :) Thats one reason I love Diablo... its so easy to play
-The moment you bought the game you should have expected troubles. Because the game just launched and not everything is fixed.
-And no, you don't need to have a degree in computer science. You just need to know how to tell your problems CRYSTAL CLEAR then people will help you.
-Having a life away from computer games doesn't stop one from learning new english words such as "Lag" or "ping". They are not even hard.
-And being a noob is completely fine, but being a noob that have no wish to improve is not. We can help you, but when you don't want to be helped then what can we do?
ok. incase that last post didn't answer anything, here is my take on it.

Lag : The situation when the actions you perform using your mouse and/or keyboard take longer than expected (instantly ) to affect the action onscreen. This can get t rediculous delays.

Ping : The time taken for a single "Hi" to go from your machine to the server and back. This is used generally to determine network/communication quality.

Rubber banding : A mix of lag and server processing lag, ruber banding refers to the visual effect of doing something onscreen, then watching the action revert a few (or more) seconds to a previous state because of lag (server updates place you at an earlier position, regardless of your recent action/commands)

End of story : The perception of the end of a situation, something that never really happens with server based always online games. Thanks to lag, ping and general rubber banding, you will never truely see the end of the story.

Degree in computer sciences : Overrated accomplishment based on achievement in basic logic and programming. Basically a certificate of merit after 3-4 years of pointless study.

Your money : The stuff you gave to blizzard, before they lubed up your bum and made sweet sweet love to it.

And sorry, i have to say "Because the game just launched and not everything is fixed." is just a bs statement. it took them what, a decade, hey sure, lets go with 5 years to be really overly fair, and in that time they never contemplated something that stopped a person from logging in ? A difficulty problem with object collision in a final dungeon, or an incompatability with a shield and a 2 handed weapon, sure, expected. But THE GAME NOT WORKING ? fck off. really.
playing games on pc and not knowing what ping is likens to driving and not knowing what kmph is.

Are you saying that all those crazy imperial system countries don't know how to drive?
the PC is the premier gaming platform. unfortunately that doesn't come for free. not an expert, but been gaming a very long time so used to the ins and outs.
Latency, ping, rubber banding is just word that are meaningless to me. I do not understand any of it and have no wish to start learning. I actually have a life away from computer games.

It's actually not very complex. The reason technical jargon is getting thrown around is simply that it's the best way to describe the problem, and if people are going to talk about the problem they really do kinda need to describe it.

If you're genuinely totally uninterested, the TL;DR is "Blizzard is having computer problems and should fix them. The best solution for AU/NZ gamers would be if they established AU/NZ based computers as part of that fix."

If you want a (hopefully) non-technical longer explanation of the situation:

What happens in the game is controlled by Blizzard's computers in the US. All your game is actually doing is describing to you what's happening at Blizzard in the US then telling Blizzard how you're reacting to it.

Now because there's the Pacific Ocean between AU/NZ and the US, information takes about a quarter of a second to get back and forwards. That's physics & related to the speed of light and limitations of modern electronics, and there is no way around it (that humans know of yet anyway).

In most situations, a quarter of a second doesn't really matter. But in an action game where you can use 2-3 abilities a second or run 10-20 yards, suddenly a quarter of a second gets a lot more significant because it's roughly "one action" worth of time.

So because everything in the game is decided in America, and we're always at least a quarter of a second behind, our fast paced game is much more likely to go horribly wrong. The fireball which we thought we avoided actually hits us and kills us. The last shot we thought we got off doesn't trigger & so the mob doesn't die (and kills us). And all that bad stuff.

If Blizzard were to put in computers in AU/NZ, that quarter of a second becomes more like a twentieth of a second & that's so close to instant that humans don't really notice it. Suddenly both our game & Blizzard's computers would agree about whether the fireball hit us, or we got the shot off.

If we had local Blizzard computers then it would be our ability to play well that's being tested, not our ability to predict what's happening on a computer that's 12,000km away across the Pacific Ocean. We could still be frustrated if we fail, but there wouldn't be the extra frustration of being handicapped because of where we live.

And there's currently even more angst than normal because the "optimal realistic" quarter of a second delay is routinely turning into 0.5-1.5 second delay, at which point it's blatantly obvious to anyone and makes playing an action game extremely difficult.

This is (mostly) being caused by problems at Blizzard's end... naturally there will be people who actually have a problem with their own connection mixed in amongst the complainers, but the majority of it seems to be Blizzard at present.

So Pacific Ocean + computer problems at Blizzard = a forum full of pissed off aussies & kiwis.

Are you saying that all those crazy imperial system countries don't know how to drive?

They drive on the wrong side of the road ... I'm just saying

05/19/2012 06:20 AMPosted by BurningDemon
Because the game just launched and not everything is fixed.

I remember when people would get fired if a buggy game shipped
-The moment you bought the game you should have expected troubles. Because the game just launched and not everything is fixed.
-And no, you don't need to have a degree in computer science. You just need to know how to tell your problems CRYSTAL CLEAR then people will help you.
-Having a life away from computer games doesn't stop one from learning new english words such as "Lag" or "ping". They are not even hard.
-And being a noob is completely fine, but being a noob that have no wish to improve is not. We can help you, but when you don't want to be helped then what can we do?

Are you riding your airship inflated by your ego?

Well as far as i know , only the Grand Kingdom of Antartica and the U.S still use that ancient relic of a system.
I rest my case. I started this thread just to see how many elitist, hedonists were out there. Turns out there's a few. Can't help thinking, the more things change they more they stay the same. About 30 years ago when I bought my first computer, a commodore 64, ah the good old days. Even then there was a presumption that people buying a computer would know what to do once they took it home. In the instruction manual I was instructed to boot my system once assembly was completed. I looked and looked but could find no reference as to how to boot the system. I knew that I wasn't meant to kick start it. These were in the days when shops closed down on a Saturday afternoon and didn't open again on Monday. I had to call the shop on the Monday morning for help. I was told to insert the, something disc; can't remember what it was called now, and that would boot the system. There was an elitist mentality then and there still is. If I were a complete novice and really needed some help do you really think that making comments like the one made by inferno "Playing games on pc and not knowing what ping is likens to driving and not knowing what kmph is." The last time I looked anachronisms weren't apart of the driving test.

Well as far as i know , only the Grand Kingdom of Antartica and the U.S still use that ancient relic of a system.

U.S.A, Liberia, and Burma